GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Battery died for no reason

Old 10-29-13, 07:19 AM
flyinghai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was more than 10 minutes. Though my battery haven't died yet, knock on wood, I am starting to drive it less. I'll find out soon.
Old 10-29-13, 07:26 AM
flyinghai
Driver School Candidate

So what if the fuel pressure system can't keep the pressure? Wouldn't that keep the pump running and that would definitely drained the battery. I will probably install a battery alarm or a float charger.
Old 10-29-13, 09:01 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flyinghai
So what if the fuel pressure system can't keep the pressure? Wouldn't that keep the pump running and that would definitely drained the battery. I will probably install a battery alarm or a float charger.
If that is an issue then you shouldn't have to pay anything. Lexus should identify the fault and remedy it.
Old 12-11-13, 08:14 AM
RunRalphie
Driver School Candidate

Default Car turned off, but something still running killed battery

New to this forum - have a new Fire Agate 2013 GS350 AWD w/ 4500 miles now.

Battery died in garage about 2 weeks ago (@4000 miles then), no clue why - no lights on, etc. Jumped and car has been fine since. In garage last night, thought I heard a small air compressor running outside, but as I got closer to car, I realized it was coming from the back underside of the Lexus. There was definitely something still running under there? The car was completely turned off for 6 hours by then (not on radio or other mode), but this sound was coming somewhere from between the exhaust and the rear differential. I turned the car on, ran it for 30 seconds, then turned it off. Sound gone.

I've heard that noise recently in my garage at night, and just assumed it was a neighbor with one of those blow up Christmas decoration on their lawn, but now I realize that whatever this is that is running is what killed the battery. I'll try and get under the car better and see if I can isolate it before service appointment in 5 days. Weirdest thing I've ever run into on a car before - any ideas?
Old 12-11-13, 08:47 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Fuel pressure system check. It's normal. Don't think thats what is causing the vampire draw.
Old 12-11-13, 09:36 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My car gets limited use and I keep a Battery Tender hooked up when not in use.
Old 12-11-13, 01:48 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

We work from home and work across the street for my wife and I. So between both cars we will put about 150-300 miles a week on the two combined. The problem comes in that the battery still runs low enough to struggle to start or to need a jump. Replacement batteries from Lexus will end up just doing more of the same.
Old 12-11-13, 04:48 PM
thISguy350
Pole Position

i've got a 2013 Obsidian GS 350 F Sport and on 12/09 my car wouldn't start. i, like many others, park the car in the garage and make sure that everything is turned off prior to my exit of the car. when i went to start the car, it was the normal dead battery sound of clicking until no more power. road side assistance came and jumped the battery, i took it to lexus and they kept it over night. the "replaced" the battery with a new one and said that my electrical system was running correctly. honestly, im quite glad that so many other people are having an issue, as i only have 2000 miles on my car as it sits now. Lexus really needs to figure this out.
Old 12-11-13, 06:17 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

They are putting weak batteries in the cars is my take away.
Old 12-11-13, 08:25 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
They are putting weak batteries in the cars is my take away.
I really do not think it is a weak battery. Mine went from normal to 4.5 volts overnight. If the battery itself drains that quickly, it would certainly be an ongoing and regularly occurring problem, not intermittent. My car (same battery) has been normal again for 2 months. Others have had batteries replaced and the problem re-occurs.

I'm convinced it is some sort of random and significant draw of power when the car is off. All cars have a tiny draw when off, but they will not draw a battery down to less than starting power for months. This is happening overnight.

Pete
Old 12-20-13, 12:48 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

I had both batteries in a '13 RX and a '13 GS 350 replaced with red top optima batteries. Issues seems to be resolved. Again, the OEM batteries state they have about 570-580 CCA on them and the replacements have 720 CCA. There is a slight difference in fit and I did a little rubber shim under the edges of the bar that clamps down on the batteries to keep them secure, but aside from that and bending the positive terminal contact a hair outwards, no more issues to report.

Hope that helps you guys out. I also had issues with no or barely starting a cold motor. Sometimes it's just the weakest link and like another wear item (tires) I think this simply boils down to a little less cost to the manufacturer. Though Lexus was very helpful in resolution and am very pleased with the service I received.
Old 03-05-14, 08:46 PM
2013GS350F
Driver School Candidate

Default Battery Died 3rd Time!

Brand new 2013 GS 350F Sport (5000 miles) I didn't leave any lights on and the battery has died for the 3rd time! Basically if I don't drive the car for about 5 to 7 days the car won't start. Today I had it towed to the dealership and they are trying to figure out what the real problem is. Obviously something is drawing off of the battery when it's locked and armed but WHAT?! A brand new car should not be having this issue! If any of the other owners have had this issue resolved I'd love to hear what happened. Has Lexus (corporate) been involved with this yet?
Old 03-06-14, 05:51 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013GS350F
Brand new 2013 GS 350F Sport (5000 miles) I didn't leave any lights on and the battery has died for the 3rd time!
Any chance you are leaving the key FOB in close proximity to the car when the car is not in use?
Old 03-06-14, 11:07 AM
lexesty72
Driver

My battery died at 5200 miles from not driving for 1 week. Took her to the dealership and they replaced with a new/different battery. The original battery was defective since it won't hold a charge.
Old 03-08-14, 12:08 PM
vinodc
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2013GS350F
Brand new 2013 GS 350F Sport (5000 miles) I didn't leave any lights on and the battery has died for the 3rd time! Basically if I don't drive the car for about 5 to 7 days the car won't start. Today I had it towed to the dealership and they are trying to figure out what the real problem is. Obviously something is drawing off of the battery when it's locked and armed but WHAT?! A brand new car should not be having this issue! If any of the other owners have had this issue resolved I'd love to hear what happened. Has Lexus (corporate) been involved with this yet?
Hey, I too am in your same situation. My car has died a total of 4 times! its had 3 new battery's put in. I love the GS, but this is just ruining my ownership experience. Lexus has sent out field technicians to look at it, from what I know, no solution has been found, other than replacing the battery each time. I can no longer take this and have asked lexus for a buyback. In my opinion they are screwing around with me, I've given them ample time and chances to fix and do the right thing for me, but they've done nothing. So I've now had my attorney proceed in contacting them regarding a buyback. He said he will start the process this coming week.

your in a better situation then I, California has excellent lemon law/consumer protection laws, compared to my state of Michigan. My advice to you is, every time it dies, have it towed in to the dealership, let it be documented. This car shouldn't be just dying like this. In case your curious, I use my car EVERYDAY! I usually take a long road trip every two weeks, so in now way can my cars issue be related to lack of use. I will certainly keep you updated on my situation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery died for no reason