GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Battery died for no reason

Old 12-12-12, 10:00 PM
2013GS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James5
for those of you having battery issues, can you tell us when you bought your GS?
My car was special ordered because I wanted PCS. I took delivery in mid July.
Old 12-13-12, 07:46 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After I received my GS back from having the F Sport front bumper installed I was sitting in my garage adjusting some of the vehicle's settings with the power on but the engine off. My battery died after a period time. I jump started my vehicle using another one and left the my engine running so the alternator could charge my battery. I think the GS accessories put a fairly high load on the engine's electrical system, and thus, the battery.

Does anyone know the amperage output by the alternator? Perhaps Toyota specified a low-output alternator in order to reduce the accessory drag on the engine. Because of this, the battery may not be charging sufficiently during shorter drives.

Alternatively, the battery could be low-capacity and simply unable to sustain the high load imposed by the various accessory systems without the assistance of the alternator.
Old 12-13-12, 07:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not that is a big power draw but I've read leaving your headlights in 'Auto' position while the car is off pulls some battery power.
I found that interesting.
Old 12-13-12, 08:02 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
.... I've read leaving your headlights in 'Auto' position while the car is off pulls some battery power.
I found that interesting.
Where did you read that? Can you provide a link?

Since Lexus recommends leaving the lights on Auto, I would think that would be a bad design feature.
Old 12-13-12, 08:24 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rjm
Where did you read that? Can you provide a link?

Since Lexus recommends leaving the lights on Auto, I would think that would be a bad design feature.
Read it on a CR-V forum.CR-V batteries are small and die fast when using radio etc without engine on.
Service rep mentioned to someone that if you're not going to use the CR-V for 2-3 weeks,take off the 'Auto' headlight mode.
True,I don't know.
Old 12-13-12, 08:40 AM
texasborn
Rookie

Originally Posted by James5
for those of you having battery issues, can you tell us when you bought your GS?
Ordered mine in Feb and picked it up in April
Old 12-13-12, 09:12 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Read it on a CR-V forum.CR-V batteries are small and die fast when using radio etc without engine on.
Service rep mentioned to someone that if you're not going to use the CR-V for 2-3 weeks,take off the 'Auto' headlight mode.
True,I don't know.
Isn't the CR-V a Honda? What does that have to do with Lexus?
Old 12-13-12, 09:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rjm
Isn't the CR-V a Honda? What does that have to do with Lexus?
Like many things,the technology can be the same.
Old 12-14-12, 06:08 AM
Stinker
Driver School Candidate

I purchased my GS 350 AWD in Feb of this year and the issue with the car going dead has happened to me twice in the past 3-4 months. The first time it happened, Lexus roadside came and jump started my car and I drove it to the dealer who ran all these checks and told me that the battery was "ok" but not at the level that it should be so they replaced it. Then it happened again about two weeks ago. I went out to my garage and pushed the start button and it made this awful clicking sound and it continued until I pushed the start button again. I waited a few minutes and tried it again and it did the same thing. So I called Lexus Roadside service, when they came out, and pushed the start button, it started up but was very hesitant. They put my car on a flat bed and took it to the my Lexus dealer who again ran all these tests only to tell me that they could find no issues with my vehicle and that it is operating as it should.

Even now, whenever I start it, it acts as if it doesn't want to start. I took it out of "economy" mode and that seems to help the starting process (not as sluggish) but not as sharp as it was for the first few months of driving the vehicle. My car currently has 9k on it. This appears to be an issue with this car and someone mentioned contacting Lexus to report this problem. Does anyone have the link to report issues such as this to Lexus?

If anyone discovers what is causing this problem, please inform us all. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-12, 06:17 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stinker
I purchased my GS 350 AWD in Feb of this year and the issue with the car going dead has happened to me twice in the past 3-4 months. The first time it happened, Lexus roadside came and jump started my car and I drove it to the dealer who ran all these checks and told me that the battery was "ok" but not at the level that it should be so they replaced it. Then it happened again about two weeks ago. I went out to my garage and pushed the start button and it made this awful clicking sound and it continued until I pushed the start button again. I waited a few minutes and tried it again and it did the same thing. So I called Lexus Roadside service, when they came out, and pushed the start button, it started up but was very hesitant. They put my car on a flat bed and took it to the my Lexus dealer who again ran all these tests only to tell me that they could find no issues with my vehicle and that it is operating as it should.
When my battery died, the navigation screen when blank and power was lost to all accessories. My interior illumination began to flash on an off and the warning lights were displayed on my instrument panel. The navigation screen remained blank, but the software controlling it was running. I could hear the various beeps and move through the menus using the remote touch controller, albeit with no working display. I attempted to start the engine by depressing the brake pedal and pressing the engine start button. I experienced the same loud constant clicking sound that you did. It stopped once I pushed the button a second time. I immediately realized this was the starter motor. Since the GS uses an engine start button the function of the starter motor is controlled by the electronics. This sound would be the equivalent of someone holding a conventional starting key motion to the engine start position. Historically, this was not recommended as it puts stress on the starter motor.

Typically, if the starter motor is unable to crank the engine it's due to a discharged battery. Sure enough, in my case, that was the cause.

Luckily/Unfortunately, I've owned a General Motors vehicle in the past, so I'm familiar with the various electronic issues when can occur and how they manifest.

Last edited by Outrage; 12-14-12 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-14-12, 06:26 AM
Stinker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Outrage
When my battery died, the navigation screen when blank and power was lost to all accessories. My interior illumination began to flash on an off and the warning lights were displayed on my instrument panel. The navigation screen remained blank, but the software controlling it was running. I could hear the various beeps and move through the menus using the remote touch controller, albeit with no working display. I attempted to start the engine by depressing the brake pedal and pressing the engine start button. I experienced the same loud constant clicking sound that you did. It stopped once I pushed the button a second time. I immediately realized this was the starter motor. Since the GS uses an engine start button the function of the starter motor is controlled by the electronics. This sound would be the equivalent of someone holding a conventional starting key motion to the engine start position, which is not something that has ever been recommended as far as I know.

Typically, if the starter motor is unable to crank the engine it's due to a discharged battery. Sure enough, in my case, that was the cause.

Luckily/Unfortunately, I've owned a General Motors vehicle in the past, so I'm familiar with the various electronic issues when can occur and what they look like.
Thanks for the information regarding the clicking sound as I had no idea what it was. Now I'm nervous everytime I start my car.
Old 12-14-12, 10:43 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn it..hopes this gets resolved. I'm holding off on the purchase.
Old 12-14-12, 04:14 PM
2013GS
Rookie

Stinker - So far you are the only person that I've heard of who has been unlucky enough to have this occur twice. However, many of us have not had our vehicle as long as you have. I've only had my car since mid- July and have less than 3,500 miles on it. It really sucks that after purchasing a brand new luxury vehicle you have to be nervous as to whether or not the vehicle is going to start.

I'm going to have to start making sure I carry my cellphone whenever I use the car so i can call roadside assistance.
Old 12-14-12, 10:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Sometimes you do get a battery with a bad cell in it, and it can cause an intermittent problem such as this. I got a replacement OEM battery for my old 03 ES one time from the Lexus dealer that was bad and had to be replaced under warranty. Same thing...worked one minute, didn't the next.

Sounds like they may have a bad batch of batteries. Batteries can sit for a long time before they're installed, be it at the dealer or at the factory, so vehicle build date may not be a reliable indicator.
Old 12-15-12, 10:58 AM
2013GS
Rookie

Originally Posted by sam430
Damn it..hopes this gets resolved. I'm holding off on the purchase.
Personally, I think that is a wise move. The GS350 is a great car but this problem can be a major inconvenience when it happens and you never know when it will happen.
The following users liked this post:
Wassum3636 (10-07-21)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery died for no reason