GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Battery died for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 07:54 AM
paul325740
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is 2015 F SPORT WITH ONLY 2,900 MILES. It happen to me 2 times in the past 3 months. I parked my car not drive for 1 day of each time and the next day battery was dead. Lexus dealer pick-up my car last Friday and they said it is a bad ECU that need to replace.
Old 09-14-15, 08:12 AM
JamesGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I was safe from this battery issue. It just happened to me this morning when trying to get to work. The car wouldn't start, but I was able to lock and unlock the door. Had to jump the car with my other car and be late for work. Last drove the car Sat. night and died Monday Morning. What a PITA. Will monitor this and report back.
Old 09-15-15, 06:33 PM
paul325740
Driver School Candidate

Default Replaced Gateway ECM

got the car back from dealer today. they replaced a gateway ECM part# 89100-30181.
they said it was a ECM unit that cause intermittent excessive draw on battery. let see this will fix or not!
Old 09-16-15, 11:37 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

ECM Unit?

Hmmm.. this opened a can of worms:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...capacitor.html
Old 09-28-15, 08:21 AM
JamesGS350
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally Posted by JamesGS350
I thought I was safe from this battery issue. It just happened to me this morning when trying to get to work. The car wouldn't start, but I was able to lock and unlock the door. Had to jump the car with my other car and be late for work. Last drove the car Sat. night and died Monday Morning. What a PITA. Will monitor this and report back.

Funny...quoting myself LOL. Well battery died again this morning. This time I just drove the car the night before so not like the car was sitting around for days. I jumped the car and drove straight to the dealership. They did a test and said the battery is fine, but there is definately something keep on drawing the battery dead. The advisor said there is TSB out there for this problem...so appearently this is a known issue for this model. They are keeping my car to try to figure out the exact cause. They gave me an ES as a loaner. Have to say...obviously the car is not as nice but it is pretty peppy. Will report back when they finally figure it out.
Old 09-30-15, 11:53 AM
Dakarf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by paul325740
got the car back from dealer today. they replaced a gateway ECM part# 89100-30181.
they said it was a ECM unit that cause intermittent excessive draw on battery. let see this will fix or not!
So what was the total charge from the dealership?

And is this something you can have any mechanic put it?
Old 09-30-15, 12:01 PM
Dakarf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JamesGS350
Funny...quoting myself LOL. Well battery died again this morning. This time I just drove the car the night before so not like the car was sitting around for days. I jumped the car and drove straight to the dealership. They did a test and said the battery is fine, but there is definately something keep on drawing the battery dead. The advisor said there is TSB out there for this problem...so appearently this is a known issue for this model. They are keeping my car to try to figure out the exact cause. They gave me an ES as a loaner. Have to say...obviously the car is not as nice but it is pretty peppy. Will report back when they finally figure it out.
Is this covered by the dealership?
Old 09-30-15, 01:28 PM
JamesGS350
Driver School Candidate

Ok, got the car back from the dealership yesterday. Like everyone else here, they replaced the gateway ECU. Although the battery test good, they went ahead and replace the battery also, stated that since the battery drained twice already they didn't want to take a chance on it...I thought it was nice of them to do that. They replaced it with a Lexus-branded battery, good for 84 months. No charge to me since my car is still under original factory warranty. Hope this fixes it. Highly suggest those whose cars are still under warranty to test your cars by letting them sit for a day or two to see if anything wrong...I think this ECU is pretty costly without warranty. Will report back if anything goes wrong again.
Old 10-01-15, 09:56 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

Oky my car died today. This is my 2nd time I'm gonna bring my car to dealership to see what's going on will let you guys know what they gonna do.
Old 10-05-15, 07:34 PM
paul325740
Driver School Candidate

Default LemonJustice!

Originally Posted by Dakarf
So what was the total charge from the dealership?

And is this something you can have any mechanic put it?
the dealer changed this part for me at no charge. but It just happen again past weekend !
I didn't drive my car for 3 days. Have to jump start again. I'm thinking about this http://www.lemonjustice.com . I will call them tomorrow.
Old 10-05-15, 07:44 PM
Lexusfixer
Rookie

Can you say made in China? Or India?
Old 10-27-15, 11:07 AM
stavsf
Driver School Candidate

Another 2013 GS350 with a dead battery here. I didn't drive it for like 4 days, but I'm also in a slightly colder area and I'm not sure if it's not the weather as well. Has anyone here tried replacing the battery themselves? Do you know how to get those clips that hold the cables off the outer casing?
Old 10-27-15, 01:36 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by stavsf
Another 2013 GS350 with a dead battery here. I didn't drive it for like 4 days, but I'm also in a slightly colder area and I'm not sure if it's not the weather as well. Has anyone here tried replacing the battery themselves? Do you know how to get those clips that hold the cables off the outer casing?
Have you tried a wrench?
Old 10-27-15, 02:01 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

This is how it goes with modern day electronics. A lifetime ago I worked in a wafer fab where they made computer chips. Just one microscopic dust particle that lands on the chip while being manufactured can cause that chip to fail later, which causes the ecm module to fail, which leaves you with a dead battery. Crazy.

http://www.wired.com/2010/10/inside-...art-cleanroom/
Old 10-27-15, 02:12 PM
stavsf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by faifai83
Have you tried a wrench?
I suppose a wrench would work if I was talking about the clamps, not the clips on the side of the casing. The forward clip is easy enough to remove, but the one behind it has me baffled.

Here's a picture if you're still not sure --

Rear battery cable clip on outer casing

Last edited by stavsf; 10-27-15 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Battery died for no reason