GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sold my GS350 F-Sport after 6 months (5K miles)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-12, 09:14 AM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sold my GS350 F-Sport after 6 months (5K miles)

This was a tough decision. I have not owned any other brand of car since I was 16 years old. I have had an 94 pickup, 98 Supra TT, 03 IS300, 07 GS350, 09 IS-F, and my 13 GS. Before I list a few reasons why I was not happy with the car, I want to say that in the end, the car just wasn’t for me.

Few issues:

1. Lack of power/acceleration. I knew coming from an IS-F that the power wasn’t going to be there. Not sure if it was gearing, but the new RX with the same engine seemed to be quicker and more responsive than my GS.
2. Enform entertainment system. Yes, the display is ginormous, and the ML system sounded amazing! Everything else was just OK. I think Lexus could have done a better job on the user interface, graphics, app, etc. I think it will get better over the next few years. IMO - Add the "apps" are worthless.
3. Loud noise at startup. Not sure if anyone read my post or watched the video. There seemed to be a loud slam or interference noise during hot starts. The problem was well documented by me and presented to the Lexus corporate technician and then to the local dealer. The techs were never able to replicate the problem. I was told to “try a different gas station”. I was floored by that technical recommendation. Not being able to resolve this was really disappointing for me.

Before making the decision to sell the car, I tried to make some small changes to see if that would change my mind. None were performance modifications to the engine. I ended up tinting the windows, adding the JP spec fog lights, lowering the car, and adding some VVS CV7’s. Those upgrades made a huge difference in appearance and handling (less floaty). In the end I was missing the IS-F feel, handling, performance, and styling. Maybe if/when the GS-F ever makes it to production I might be interested in that. For now I will just stick with my other car.

Again, I am not dissing Lexus or the GS. I think it was a case of the car not being what I wanted. I have my wheels/tires/springs posted in the classifieds. I am open to reasonable offers.
Attached Thumbnails Sold my GS350 F-Sport after 6 months (5K miles)-gs_cv7.jpg  
Old 11-05-12, 09:27 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to hear that the GS didn't work out for you. Not worth keeping it around if you aren't happy with it. I understand the big difference between the isF and the GS. Hopefully there is a GSF in the future. Did you say what you are moving in to?
Old 11-05-12, 09:34 AM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexusNN
Sorry to hear that the GS didn't work out for you. Not worth keeping it around if you aren't happy with it. I understand the big difference between the isF and the GS. Hopefully there is a GSF in the future. Did you say what you are moving in to?
I am bummed about the deal. I have an 09 GT-R. The wife has a new 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe (it's actually pretty nice).
Old 11-05-12, 09:50 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

hey if you weren't happy, you weren't happy... bottom line. why drive and or own anything you are not happy with.
you added mods which made it your own and that still didn't work. the 09 GTR is a beast which has more than enough get up and go. maybe another ISF in the near future? i really don't think there is going to be a GS-F anytime soon... if any. good luck, hope to see you back soon with another Lex.
Old 11-05-12, 10:01 AM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
hey if you weren't happy, you weren't happy... bottom line. why drive and or own anything you are not happy with.
you added mods which made it your own and that still didn't work. the 09 GTR is a beast which has more than enough get up and go. maybe another ISF in the near future? i really don't think there is going to be a GS-F anytime soon... if any. good luck, hope to see you back soon with another Lex.
That is exactly right. I know for a fact I will be in another Lexus sometime soon. I am anxious to see what the new IS will look like. I'll be patient.
Old 11-05-12, 10:53 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Finally!!!!!
Old 11-05-12, 02:49 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all honestly, the car looks better stock in F sport form with the lexus wheels. Sorry to hear about your troubles, but maybe only a supercar will make you happy. The GS350 blows me away.
Old 11-05-12, 06:51 PM
matt2421
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MKIV98TT
This was a tough decision. I have not owned any other brand of car since I was 16 years old. I have had an 94 pickup, 98 Supra TT, 03 IS300, 07 GS350, 09 IS-F, and my 13 GS. Before I list a few reasons why I was not happy with the car, I want to say that in the end, the car just wasn’t for me.

Few issues:

1. Lack of power/acceleration. I knew coming from an IS-F that the power wasn’t going to be there. Not sure if it was gearing, but the new RX with the same engine seemed to be quicker and more responsive than my GS.
2. Enform entertainment system. Yes, the display is ginormous, and the ML system sounded amazing! Everything else was just OK. I think Lexus could have done a better job on the user interface, graphics, app, etc. I think it will get better over the next few years. IMO - Add the "apps" are worthless.
3. Loud noise at startup. Not sure if anyone read my post or watched the video. There seemed to be a loud slam or interference noise during hot starts. The problem was well documented by me and presented to the Lexus corporate technician and then to the local dealer. The techs were never able to replicate the problem. I was told to “try a different gas station”. I was floored by that technical recommendation. Not being able to resolve this was really disappointing for me.

Before making the decision to sell the car, I tried to make some small changes to see if that would change my mind. None were performance modifications to the engine. I ended up tinting the windows, adding the JP spec fog lights, lowering the car, and adding some VVS CV7’s. Those upgrades made a huge difference in appearance and handling (less floaty). In the end I was missing the IS-F feel, handling, performance, and styling. Maybe if/when the GS-F ever makes it to production I might be interested in that. For now I will just stick with my other car.

Again, I am not dissing Lexus or the GS. I think it was a case of the car not being what I wanted. I have my wheels/tires/springs posted in the classifieds. I am open to reasonable offers.
Thanks for the feedback as this info could be relevant for me. I just got some news that i am relocating from the DC area to Florida. I have an AWD Lux package and was thinking of going to a RWD Fsport or Lux package. I was thinking of making the change because i will not need the AWD in FL and it looks like all the mods for our car are going to be for the RWD model. So, i was wondering, what did you get for your car when you got rid of it? I know asking money questions isnt exactly kosher, but was wondering how much the dealer is going to stick it to me if i make this move.You can PM if it makes you feel better, i wont share if you want to keep it private.

Anyway, life is to short man, if you can control easy things that make you happy, like the type car you drive, then by all means you should do it.
Old 11-05-12, 08:12 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If the car wasn't right for you, you made a great decision. I've done that many times. Fortunately, the GS F-Sport really does it for me.
Old 11-06-12, 07:25 AM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel you on the lack of power race a 2013 328i that thing walk me no problem, thats like a is250 beating me pretty upset about.
Old 11-06-12, 07:37 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

How is that possible? The GS350 has better 0-100mph and 1/4 mile times than the 328i.
Old 11-06-12, 07:49 AM
RYLITT
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GSTONY
I feel you on the lack of power race a 2013 328i that thing walk me no problem, thats like a is250 beating me pretty upset about.
There's no way that's possible unless you're driving on rims (no tires) in eco-mode with 6 fat chicks in your back seat.
Old 11-06-12, 09:10 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ZeroIS
There's no way that's possible unless you're driving on rims (no tires) in eco-mode with 6 fat chicks in your back seat.
Sounds like a crazy *** Saturday night!!
Old 11-06-12, 09:38 AM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

I was not saying the GS was under-powered in any way. I knew compared to an IS-F there would be no comparison. I just didn't realize how much the power factor mattered to me until I had already gotten into a new GS. It all comes down to personal preference. It might have been a lack of research on my part before making such a big purchase.
Old 11-06-12, 10:57 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

You should look at the GS450h.

I've test driven both and trust me, the low down torque and high end pulling power of the GS hybrid blows the GS350 away. The small difference in numbers are misleading : in reality, the GS hybrid is a different animal compared with the V6. Some have described it as the performance of a V8 with the fuel consumption of a 4 cylinder -- sounds about right...

Quick Reply: Sold my GS350 F-Sport after 6 months (5K miles)