GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year Contender

Old 11-02-12, 04:15 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year Contender

2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year Contender: Lexus GS

The 2013 Lexus GS should eliminate any remaining doubt that Lexus can build fun-to-drive cars. With the GS, Lexus nailed it, if the two long black marks left around our handling course are any indication. And those were left by the hybrid.

Predictably, the 350 F Sport proved just as enjoyable during customary flogging. But it was how fluently the 450h blended fun, comfort, and fuel economy (29/34 mpg city/hwy) that impressed COTY judges.

“This may be the first time in the history of hybrids where a hybrid model arguably drove as well as the standard car,” said digital director Mike Floyd, who was just as enamored with the interior. “If there were an Interior of the Year sub-award, the GS would have won it, hands down.”
The insides of both cars impressed as well. “Love the light-colored bamboo-style wood finish, aluminum, and leather. It’s all very high-quality,” said associate editor Rory Jurnecka. Technical director Frank Markus added, “This is a proper back seat. Perfect posture, softness, angle, headrest, armrest, and toe room.”

One blemish: The haptic, mouselike controller that operates the infotainment system is a neat idea, but it still requires you to take your eyes off the road to see what you’re about to click on. And the exterior remains challenged. The GS may feature the best iteration of Lexus’ spindle grille, but the look of it was controversial with the judges.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/2013-motor...#ixzz2B6sfWjff
Old 11-02-12, 09:40 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

not surprised at all.
Old 11-03-12, 11:29 AM
82nd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned several German two door "fun" cars. The wife hated the Porsche because the trunk was too small to put her in when we had to drive with the baby. Now my baby is five and we all love the GS. Everybody fits and is very fun to drive. Does not handle like a 911 but this Lexus is my favorite car I have ever owned.
Old 11-03-12, 08:56 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Love it, love it, love it.

The only thing I would say is that it is against the Cadillac ATS, which outhandles the 3 Series, and the Ford Fusion, which stole cues from the Aston Martin and put them in the "everyman's car". Funny thing is, editors don't like the CUE system in the ATS, the MySynch system in the Ford or the mouse control in the GS, so we will see how it goes. Tough competition, but we GS owners know who should win.

Last edited by dseag2; 11-03-12 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-03-12, 10:16 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I know everyone is torn about the "mouse" on the GS.. but I've always loved it and find it the easiest to use compared to other cars I've tried. What about the rest of you, now that you've had a few months to try it out?
Old 11-03-12, 10:22 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

i have no problems with my mouse, it has a minor learning curve but you get used to it. i like the fact that i don't have to look at the nav screen to switch between this and that because it's displayed on my HUD... another minor learning curve.
Old 11-04-12, 08:14 AM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It quite easy to use i really like it.
Old 11-04-12, 07:24 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I like the mouse, but for scrolling through songs on my iPod I found the MMI dial in my Audi to be quicker (although sometimes if I dialed too fast it would lock up). Overall, the mouse is fine and the fact that you can adjust the sensitivity so you're not accidentally hitting the wrong icons is great.
Old 11-04-12, 08:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I wish the GS best of luck, I'd like to see it win, but it will face some stiff competition with the Model S (supposedly the favored winner), Fusion, Altima, Accord, ES, Avalon etc..
Old 11-04-12, 08:29 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The GS should win. It is overall a brilliant car inside and out
Old 11-08-12, 08:38 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Update :

Old 11-08-12, 10:36 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by natnut
thanx for the tease Nat... i was sitting with my face inches from my Macbook waiting for the winner to be announced. i will not however buy a motor trend magazine to find out which car won, most of us know why. guess i'll find out the winner here on CL. i configured a Tesla Model S Signature Performance. that is a beautiful car and expensive too. you have to put down 5K to reserve it and wait for it to be built and shipped to you.
Old 11-09-12, 01:55 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love love my car and would not of changed my decision to buy for one second, but…… There are 3 things that still 6 months later after ownership that still really irritate me to death. I know they have all been talked about but what the heck.
1. No power folding mirrors (Really 60k car and I don't get folding mirrors?)
2. No Power trunk, and on top of that it is a PITA to shut (^same as above^)
3. Weird noisy as heck engine (It sounds like i'm driving a 93 civic that is in desperate need of a valve adjustment)
Other than those 3 things I adore this car, but I do feel to win car of the year, not too many things can be overlooked, and it sounds like #3 isn't them overlooking it, but more of a design to get more horsepower, but still annoying.
Old 11-12-12, 06:23 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Tesla Model S won Motor Trend Car Of The Year. the GSs' interior and handling won with the judges but the styling is why it didn't win. Are you Effin kidding me. i have no more to say... my momma said if i have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. and i have nothing nice to say about motor trend.
Old 11-12-12, 08:32 PM
natnut
Pole Position

It's quite significant that only the GS out of the ES/GS/LS lineup made it into the finalists sub-group. And that MT considers the new GS as the flagship of Lexus currently ( over the ageing LS platform ). And reading between the lines, if not for the existence of the Tesla S, the GS may well have won COTY.

At least this (MT's fondness for the GS) bodes well for Lexus' future since the GS is the tip of the spear heralding Lexus' new focus on ride/handling and fun-to-drive cars, especially with the new IS around the corner and the LS probably 1-2 years away.

The GS is just the first example of Lexus' new direction. I'm sure the new IS and future LS will only build on this direction that Lexus is taking : standout interiors, edgey exterior styling and class-leading ride/handling.

Links to the final analysis of each Lexus model

ES : http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/..._es.html?ti=v3
GS : http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/..._gs.html?ti=v3
LS : http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/..._ls.html?ti=v3

These remarks stand out to me :

Editor-in-Chief Edward Loh on the new GS :

"I prefer this to the already dated LS," said Loh. "This is the real flagship of the brand."
Comparing the LS to the new GS :

But the revamped interior wasn't enough to sway boss-man Loh--especially in light of the truly all-new Lexus GS that also came along to the party. "Just doesn't feel that special, certainly not in the way the GS does," Loh scribbled.
Since the new GS = Lexus' Future and the current LS = Lexus' Past, that can only bode well for future Lexus offerings (upcoming IS and future LS I'm looking at you )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year Contender