Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

GS 350 tire issues, vibration, choppy ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-13, 07:06 PM
Texjg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a 2013 Lexus GS350 RWD Luxury/Premium packages with Dunlop Sport 5100 P235/45/R18 tires and found them to pick up all road imperfections at speeds over 55 so had them rebalanced at the dealership and that helped by they still are supersensitive on concrete roads and have thought about having them changed outt after only 500 miles. Has anyone gotten their dealers to give them a credit towards another tire such as the Michelin or Continental?
Old 05-18-14, 12:46 AM
hube
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have noticed during the balancing that the TPMs are quite big. Also most of the balance weights seem to be at the oposite side. Maybe this has something to do with the experienced unbalance?
Old 05-18-14, 07:42 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hube
I have noticed during the balancing that the TPMs are quite big. Also most of the balance weights seem to be at the oposite side. Maybe this has something to do with the experienced unbalance?
could be because my wheels have all less then 1/2 ounce of weight with my Michelin tires and thats fantastic despite the heavy TPMS.
Old 05-18-14, 10:00 PM
Mr. M
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nord14341
I just bought a 2013 GS 350 RWD with Bridgestone Turanza ER 33 tires (235/45R18 94Y). Very happy with the car other than I'm getting some vibration from the tires at higher speeds.....starts at 75 mph. The car also starts to feel choppy at this same speed........75 to 80 mph. Seems like it's the tires since the car is straight as an arrow and the wheels feel very balanced at all other speeds.

I test drove a car with Dunlop tires prior to buying my car and the Dunlops were noticeably worse........I felt vibration and choppiness right away regardless of speed.

Anyone having this same issue? Is it a suspension issue or a tire issue? Anyone try another tire brand or tire type? The Bridgestone Potenza tires on my IS 250 rode perfect at all speeds. I know a lot of people stand by Michelin tires......Primacy or Pilot?

Any help would be appreciated.

Same issue here

having harsh ride on my 2014 GS 350 RWD which comes with Bridgestone Turanza tires

Please advise me which tire to go with Michelin or Continental ? and am i going to feel big difference from Bridgestone ? because i don't wanna waste my money for nothing
Old 05-19-14, 03:59 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just out of curiosity, has anyone put Yokohama's on the latest GS?
Old 05-19-14, 07:29 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Switching to Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires on my GS350 F-Sport completely eliminated the vibration choppy ride at 70 mph and above. I cannot tell how fast I am going. Its so smooth and planted. Get these tires and you won't regret it.
The following users liked this post:
nzWindomFAN (11-03-23)
Old 05-20-14, 09:10 AM
ialexxx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just swapped to primacy today after hitting a massive pothole the other day. DIdn't realize how ****ty the turunza's were...
Old 05-20-14, 01:35 PM
hube
Pole Position

Oh yes, I am also having major issues getting my GS450h F-sport balanced. Dunlop tires on it. At speeds between 120-130kph, there is a serious unbalance, to the point I feel my entire body vibrating. It has been to the dealer who did a new alignment and a complete rebalance. However, it was only made worse.

This weekend I'll put the winterset of my IS250 (yeah I know, wrong size) on the car to see if the vibration is still present. If not then I guess new wheels and tires have to be bought... Good enough reason to convince the wife of my need of CV-7's
Old 05-24-14, 05:56 AM
hube
Pole Position

My problem continues.

First I put the winterset of the IS250 on the car. When I removed the rear tire, I was in for a shock:

Now completely sure that this was the experienced problem I continued mounting my winterset. As it turns out, I was wrong. The vibrations continued on the winterset as well, although less pronounced.

I did go ahead and had the rear tires replaced, but still no luck. Lexus will balance the wheels on " The Hunter" the 3rd of June. If this is not the case there seems to be a voluntary recall for the rear suspension rubbers on the F-sport models.

Anyhow I don't believe that the balancing on the Hunter will sort out my issues, since I was having similar issues on the winterset. Which makes the rubbers my last option. Or maybe you guys still have ideas?

So far this has been done:
- Wheels have been fixed and straightened out.
- Wheels have been balanced professionally
- Wheels have been aligned.
- Wheels have been balanced again
- Swapped to winterset (18' IS250 set)
- Rear tires have been replaced by Pirelli's (Didn't have a choice since I didn't want to drive with that damage and the dealerships and tire shops didn't have the needed size in stock). There were Dunlops on them.

Last edited by hube; 05-24-14 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-24-14, 06:46 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

When they did road force, what was the exact road force lbs for the rear 2 rim/tire assembly???????
That'ds important because according to Lexus, sensitive customers like me need our assembly to be no more than 10 lbs road force. I can detect the slightest vibration at 70-80 mph in my seat back if any assembly is above 11-12 lbs. My michelins are below 8 lbs. My bridgestone winter set had them at 12-13 lbs which is below the 15 lbs max for most sedan but not for sensitive guy like me. So when I got the two rear bridgestone winter tires replaced I got 8 and 6 lbs road force and the car was smooth as glass.

If your dealer say they road force it then they need to be more specific. They probably did it around 10-15 lbs or more and yet say it is ok and you won't feel a thing but then again you are sensitive like me so you have to be more specific and demand they road force to less then 10 lbs and print out the results on the printer. If they cannot do that then replace the tires again until you get them both below 10 lbs or that GS will vibrate.
Old 05-25-14, 12:27 AM
hube
Pole Position

Hi,

I don't know. The 3rd of june one more will be done. I will ask for the measurement results and post those here. Thank you for the advice on the roadforce measurements. I will keep the figures in mind when I'm there.
Old 05-25-14, 08:45 AM
Trek
Pole Position

I don't think it's the Turanzas. My 2002 Altima V6 came off the assembly line with those tires. I've taken that car up to 125 mph and it was smooth as butter. Each time I replaced the tires, I purchased them again. Maybe some tires just ride differently on different vehicles given weight, suspension, etc. So, perhaps Turanzas don't work well with the 4GS but work fine on other rides. I still have that car and it is still riding on Bridgestone Turanzas with zero vibration.

My non-F-Sport 2013 GS350 AWD came from the factory with the Michelins.

Last edited by Trek; 05-25-14 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-25-14, 09:34 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

It is the Turanza EL400-2 tires that have reinforced sidewalls that are super stiff compared to the Michelins. I have had both of them off the car and I have checked how flexible the sidewalls were and the bridgestones would not budge and felt completely like a run flat sidewall that i had on a previous BMW. Since this car is 19 inch rims and low profile they had to reinforced it but its a terrible tire overall. I tried the Serenity Plus type and its far superior. Turanazas are OEM tires and have never impressed me even on other brand cars.
Old 05-25-14, 09:16 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rexus300
It is the Turanza EL400-2 tires that have reinforced sidewalls that are super stiff compared to the Michelins. I have had both of them off the car and I have checked how flexible the sidewalls were and the bridgestones would not budge and felt completely like a run flat sidewall that i had on a previous BMW. Since this car is 19 inch rims and low profile they had to reinforced it but its a terrible tire overall. I tried the Serenity Plus type and its far superior. Turanazas are OEM tires and have never impressed me even on other brand cars.
Don't know if mine are EL400-2 or not. I'll have to check. I know from 12 years of ownership that the Turanzas ride great on my 2002 Altima V6. I wouldn't put any other tire on it.
Old 06-01-14, 03:29 AM
Injectelo
Driver School Candidate

I just recently (last Tuesday!!) got my 2014 RWD gs f-sport and I immediately felt the choppy ride. I got the Potenzas at 235/40R19 96Y

A lexus rep called me out of the blue asking me if I'm happy about my ride (and I am) but I did bring it up.
She wrote a report and told me to mention it at my 1k service.

Guessing it could be 1 of 3:

-Wheel balance
-Potenzas
-Me not experiencing low-profile tires before.

Edit: thought they were turanzas!!

Last edited by Injectelo; 06-01-14 at 06:35 AM.