GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Noisy Engine?!? Why so poor sounding?

Old 02-04-18, 11:24 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'm not defending anything, I'm just explaining. I no longer even own the car. Your statement that your RL accomplished the same HP and MPG as the GS is not true, in fact its a perfect example of why modern engines have DI. Your RL had 300 HP and 271 lb ft of torque. Your GS has 306 hp and 277 lb ft of torque, so essentially the same. However, if you compare the GS and the RL's fuel economy (comparing AWD GS to AWD RL since the RL only came AWD I believe), the GS gets 2MPH better city and highway. Thats ~ 10% better fuel economy despite having slightly more power, and a more robust (and efficiency robbing) AWD system. I assume since you are in TX yours is RWD and your mileage per the EPA is dramatically better than the RL.

The 3.5L is Lexus' first engine with DI, as they become more accustomed to it they will design out and hide the sound from the injectors.
I know, I know a little nit-picking perhaps but a quick Google search shows the 2005 RL with 18/26 and a 2015 GS AWD with 19/26. So for less than a 5% potential increase in MPG we have to live with a very noisy/rattely engine? Yes, mine is a RWD so I see a little better MPG, but I'd gladly sacrafice that for a "silent" experience.

It is just a shame we cannot have the best of both worlds.

Last edited by DallasDave; 02-04-18 at 11:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-04-18, 11:31 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by drgrant
Lol, RL probably didn't have direct injection, etc. I don't mind it at all, I also find it amusing that people buy these cars, then ***** about the noise.... did you not test drive the car? Did you not run it at the dealer before signing off on it? Did you think it was going to go away? lol.

This is a 2GR-thing, I guess I'm just desensitized to it because I've had the same thing (albeit less prominent) in the V6 Camry I owned for years. It's "normal" and it ain't going away. If it bothers you that much, then Toyota probably isn't the brand for you, because a lot of their motors make this noise, or some variation of it.

Although that said, I've heard Audis and other cars with similar noises, so if you're that sensitive to it, you might want to listen to every car you buy, before you buy it... or just buy a hybrid or something.

About the only noise my GS makes which is starting to get annoying is that stupid brake squealing issue... but even that... minor nit land.

-Mike
Nope, I didn't notice it. It was summer time so the AC vents were usually making enough noise to cover it. Plus it wasn't until I owned it that I routinely parked in parking garages and/or at home (in my own garage) where it is most noticeable. I certainly take responsibility for not paying more attention, but I just never thought, "I'm purchasing my fourth Lexus and I better make sure to listen to the motor noise closely..." So, I "assumed" it would be as quiet as all the other ones and maybe even quieter (since my first one was in 2000 I expected some advancements). Silly me!

I'm glad you are in love with yours, good luck!
Old 02-05-18, 08:42 AM
Flanker271
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Wanted to provide my two cents. Back in 2006, I had every intention to purchase a Lexus GS 300 until I drove the '06 Acura RL. The RL feels much more refined, has a better interior, and overall feels like a much better built vehicle. Eventually it does gets boring. Fast forward 11 years, my RL was totalled in an no-fault accident and I've decided to go back to Lexus. When purchasing my '17 GS 350 AWD, my expectation is that this is a performance sports sedan and I expected more on performance than pure luxury refinement. Some engine sound (not noise) is expected from a performance sedan. I'm happy with my purchase and the GS puts a smile on my face everyday. The direct injection Atkinson cycle engine on the GS is an engineering wonder. When I want spirited driving during the weekend, it delivers. When I want silent freeway cruise on long trips, it delivers. When I want decent MPG for daily commutes, it delivers. My only complaint is the drivetrain on the GS has a whine between 40-50mph, which the RL doesn't. I guess you can't have everything.

Last edited by Flanker271; 02-05-18 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-05-18, 09:54 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Flanker271
Wanted to provide my two cents. Back in 2006, I had every intention to purchase a Lexus GS 300 until I drove the '06 Acura RL. The RL feels much more refined, has a better interior, and overall feels like a much better built vehicle. Eventually it does gets boring. Fast forward 11 years, my RL was totalled in an no-fault accident and I've decided to go back to Lexus. When purchasing my '17 GS 350 AWD, my expectation is that this is a performance sports sedan and I expected more on performance than pure luxury refinement. Some engine sound (not noise) is expected from a performance sedan. I'm happy with my purchase and the GS puts a smile on my face everyday. The direct injection Atkinson cycle engine on the GS is an engineering wonder. When I want spirited driving during the weekend, it delivers. When I want silent freeway cruise on long trips, it delivers. When I want decent MPG for daily commutes, it delivers. My only complaint is the drivetrain on the GS has a whine between 40-50mph, which the RL doesn't. I guess you can't have everything.
It's funny because Lexus has a TSB for this but it doesn't apply to 2017s... but I'm betting its the same damned problem, lol

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=192696

Strangely enough though I haven't heard this from my car, so it must not be a consistent thing....

-Mike
Old 02-05-18, 10:12 AM
Flanker271
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
It's funny because Lexus has a TSB for this but it doesn't apply to 2017s... but I'm betting its the same damned problem, lol

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=192696

Strangely enough though I haven't heard this from my car, so it must not be a consistent thing....

-Mike
Is your GS AWD or RWD? This seems to only affect AWD models. Yes, I have this exact issue as described in the TSB even though mine is a 2017 model.
Old 02-05-18, 12:20 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Flanker271
Is your GS AWD or RWD? This seems to only affect AWD models. Yes, I have this exact issue as described in the TSB even though mine is a 2017 model.
2015 F-Sport AWD....

-Mike
Old 02-07-18, 02:38 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Just4Me
OMG.!!.. Im a new 08 GS350 owner and i feel the EXACT same way.... I know this is an old post.., im going to read the rest of the threads but. YES.. my Saab 9-5 has 190,000 on it and i can barely hear it... Love the GS but dang !! (at idle).. i wasnt expecting it to be this loud. especially for a Lexus... my little sister drives an ES... after riding in her car, i feel like. I should of had a V8 .(juice commercial) ..... i wish there was a way to silence it... ps,.. i understand this is 4th gen.. im just commenting..
Originally Posted by SW15LS
If you have sounds from pulleys and belts in your 4GS you have a problem lol. No such sounds were present in my GS, yes it had a diesel like clatter at idle, that’s the DI system. My LS’s have it also to a lesser degree.

I'm shocked to read you post positive attributes of your GS. All we ever read from you are complaints. Thats whats so tiresome.
Have a read of this post from 6 years ago:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post7187094

There must be more positives than negatives if we're going to buy any car.

Being pessimistic is not the way, but being optimistic is not the way either; it is best to be a realist, and realize both the strengths and weaknesses of a product.
Of course, some people are very self righteous, opinionated, and overly optimistic about what they own; they like to think that their own opinion is right, while other people's opinions are wrong.

It is important to give constructive feedback to the manufacturer, otherwise current 4GS ends up with peak annual sales of only 23,000+ units/year USA, at a time when the recent E Class & 5 Series got to peak at 69,000+ & 56,000+ units respectively in 2013, and all this silly talk of GS line being axed.

If you don't tell President Akio what "you" think of his new 5LS, he will keep heading in that direction.

When you do tell him, of course opinions are subjective and differ from person to person, but statisticians will simply "average-out" the varying opinions to obtain a more objective mean [average], upon which to set new guidelines.