GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Noisy Engine?!? Why so poor sounding?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 07:08 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think a car has to be dead silent but you expect Lexus to be better than the others and it's hard to believe this is the only way to a 300HP V6 . Regarding the 306 HP V6 with good gas mileage, I think there are many current naturally aspirated V6's out there in the 300 HP range.

Who is to say that the noisy injectors re the only way to go on this motor? Maybe this is a cheap way to fix a problem for them. My next door neighbor has am IS and around 40,00 miles they had major engine problems that if you look on the IS website seem to be related to the injectors.

For those of you who are fine with the clicking, good for you. But for those of us who expected more from Lexus, we have the right to state our feelings too.

Not everyone who owns a LEXUS wants to lower it, put big rims on it, or drive it like they stole it.
Old 06-10-13, 07:25 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_GS3
It was said before.

The sound you hear is the High Pressure fuel system. The mechanical fuel pump on the pass side rear cam cover. The second set of larger heavy duty injectors that spray fuel dirrectly into the engine cylinders during the compression stroke.

This all together is how we get 306hp and still have 20+ MPG out of a 3.5L V6 engine. Like everything else in life, you have to give a little to get more.

I'll accept it.
Well said. We could have twin turbos and tubo lag instead. There are other options out there. I came from an Audi S5 with supercharged V6. The engine noise was sweet and the "pop" from the exhaust when stepping on it was addictive, but I never expected either in the naturally-aspirated GS, so I'm quite happy. People seem to think when they pay $60k for a car it is going to be perfect. $60k is almost entry luxury these days.

Last edited by dseag2; 06-10-13 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-10-13, 07:32 PM
majin ssj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I simply have no idea what the OP is talking about to be honest. My brand new GS 350 F-Sport sounds incredible to my ears. The special resonator was put in there specifically so you can better hear this sweet heart of an engine ripping through the rev range. I think its fantastic!
Old 06-10-13, 07:35 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by majin ssj
I simply have no idea what the OP is talking about to be honest. My brand new GS 350 F-Sport sounds incredible to my ears. The special resonator was put in there specifically so you can better hear this sweet heart of an engine ripping through the rev range. I think its fantastic!
Completely agree.
Old 06-10-13, 07:51 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Well said. We could have twin turbos and tubo lag instead. There are other options out there. I came from an Audi S5 with supercharged V6. The engine noise was sweet and the "pop" from the exhaust when stepping on it was addictive, but I never expected either in the naturally-aspirated GS, so I'm quite happy. People seem to think when they pay $60k for a car it is going to be perfect. $60k is almost entry luxury these days.
Perfect no, but that's no reason to accept less than we have been accustomed to accept from Lexus!
Old 06-10-13, 10:18 PM
majin ssj
Driver School Candidate

I still don't understand what the "problem" is with the engine sound though? During normal acceleration the engine is almost silent and turbine smooth. Its only under heavier throttle scenarios where the engine becomes more prominent and that sound is very pleasing to my ear....
Old 06-11-13, 03:29 AM
Jq3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by majin ssj
I still don't understand what the "problem" is with the engine sound though? During normal acceleration the engine is almost silent and turbine smooth. Its only under heavier throttle scenarios where the engine becomes more prominent and that sound is very pleasing to my ear....
I'm talking about during idle. Once up to speed, no, I don't hear anything unusual. It's noisy nature just struck me as odd. As I've said before, this is my first Lexus and I had expected more...my fault I guess for having high expectations. The car is still a great car!

Ok I'm done with this one...moving on!
Old 06-11-13, 03:30 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine sounds like a Singer sewing machine on start and slow driving. It is what it is.....
Old 06-11-13, 05:11 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJA1951
My next door neighbor has am IS and around 40,00 miles they had major engine problems that if you look on the IS website seem to be related to the injectors.
The IS' "problem" is the high compression and blow by on the rings overwhelming the PCV system. Oil gets up into the intake and burns off in the cylinders creating carbon flakes on the pistons. Pieces of carbon brake off and get caught in the exhaust valves causing a stumble.

Lexus has changed the piston material and design to try and prevent this from happening. And being what they are they have extended the warranty on this condition to try and improve it.

I mostly see this in the cars that aren't driven too hard, older retirees mostly.

For those of you who are fine with the clicking, good for you. But for those of us who expected more from Lexus, we have the right to state our feelings too.
I'm not saying that anyone should ever not state their opinions. I think if I was going to complain about the car I would look at the lack of folding mirrors, power trunk closer, P/S seat memory. They added some great features to the car but took away some of the greatest features also.

Not everyone who owns a LEXUS wants to lower it, put big rims on it, or drive it like they stole it.
Each car out there is designed differently. You dont have to "drive it like you stole it" but at least step on the gas and roll out the RPM's. Internal combustion engines dont like to idle, they runner better/cleaner under a bit of a load.

The GS and IS are sports cars, you have all that powers and performance to drive, not idle down the street. Wouldn you buy a 60's stang with cams and headers and complain about the rough idle and loud noise?
Old 06-11-13, 06:01 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MJA1951
http://www.lexus.com/models/ES/
Old 10-31-13, 10:23 PM
shabbir1
Driver School Candidate

The first morning start and drive for the first 3-4 minutes sound much noiser than usual, after the car warms up it seems to go away for te most part. It is mostly tapping/ticking sound. The cabin should have a better sound insulation from the engine compartment..
Old 11-01-13, 11:28 AM
bobraynard
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or maybe I'll throw in a cool air intake and see if the hiss can drown out the noises. You think?
Go with the hiss. You'll love it!
Old 03-28-14, 04:35 PM
arkie
Driver School Candidate

This is my third Lexus. I've had a 95 LS, an 04 GS, and now a 13 GS. The first two vehicles were absolutely bullet-proof. Everything about the driving experience was flawless. The 2013 GS is an epic fail. It sounds like I am driving a diesel. Piston slap when its cold, injector ticking when its warm, all normal says the dealer, turning up the radio in a 50k car, very sad.
Old 03-28-14, 05:22 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arkie
..Piston slap when its cold...
Cool! I'm not the only one who hears it first thing in the morning. Never had a car (Opel, Fords, Volvo, Hondas, and Lexus) that sounded so broke in the morning--not even the wife's 2011 RX. I'll point it out to the dealer at my 5K stop. Don't expect a fix, but just in case there's a recall or something.
Old 03-29-14, 07:58 PM
frazierwa
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 13 GS350 is my 6th Lexus and I thought I understood that their major 'distinguishing feature' was 'luxury' in a variety of packages to suit different needs and tastes. The morning after I purchased my GS I started it up in my garage and I was certain that something was horribly wrong. With all the windows up and the car idling, the injector noise was very loud. My wife happened to walk into the garage after I started it and she said; "Uh oh... what's wrong with it?

I drove it back to the dealer and the service manager listened to my description and before I could finish the first sentence, he said "it's the direct fuel injectors; everybody complains about them." I explained that I didn't care how much noise they made as long as I don't hear them from the cabin with all the windows rolled up. He said that many of the current Lexus models now use them, but the GS is the only model that generates the complaints. He said that they had to modify some sound baffles in the 2013 model vs. an earlier model and his opinion was that they were not properly engineered for acoustical noise suppression. He said they are working on it but he wasn't sure if they would offer a retrofit resolution for previously sold vehicles.

For those who commented something like; "Just live with it... it's worth it to gain the performance and efficiency." I say, that is selling Lexus engineering short. I don't think it's unreasonable or unachievable to have state of the art technology and state of the art comfort in the same car. I think someone at Lexus screwed up and made compromises that could hurt the brand.

Quick Reply: Noisy Engine?!? Why so poor sounding?