GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Clear Bra Install Soon!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-12, 08:22 PM
ExtrmeLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra Done!!!!! Looks awesome!

Ok, So i had the clear bra installed. Watching the guy Lee Berbs do the install was a treat. I thought at first, maybe i could do it myself. After watching him, there was no way, I would never attempt this. He is a perfectionist and noticed every inch of the car. He cleaned each section at least 3-6 times before the install.

Upon driving over to his shop, I tried hard not to get any paint imperfections since the car only had 15miles. Lee was complementing how well the paint was and began to clear bra the car. Then we noticed a small divit on the bumper. Arrrh, one nick from a rock!!! In the end, he did the bumper, full fender, mirrors, door guards, headlights, rear trunk section, and behind the door *****. He tucked the edges perfectly. We also did the Wiscos 30 Tint on the rear of the car.

Later this evening we took the F Sport on a drive. Afterwards, I cleaned the car and noticed where the clear bras was has no dirt stuck to it. I am very happy with my decision on having it done.

Old 09-30-12, 08:28 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest problem with the clear bra is the front bumper with all the curves, starting to blister already after about a month.
Old 10-01-12, 04:03 AM
joehp1
Rookie

Yep, that is where I see problems on mine as well...too many angles and curves on this car!
Old 10-01-12, 05:25 AM
ExtrmeLex
Rookie

H Guys,

I have a 10 year material and labor warranty on the Xpel Ultimate so no worries, if it does lift, Lee Berbs agreed to redo any section. Its also specified on the warranty card from Xpel
Old 10-01-12, 06:27 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Film doesnt blister. If it lifts then it is from a poor install. Installers should use a rapid tack gel or a heat gun to seal the edges down. if they do then there wont be any lifting. As far as blistering... I have never heard trhat as blistering is usually due to heat. So maybe you are not using the right terminology... but interested in what you are seeing.
Old 10-01-12, 02:59 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I had mine done in june , and have not seen any blistering problems, I used a 3M brand , I think the installer has to know wht he is doing, its not an easy job, mine took the guy 5 hrs. to do, lots of cleaning and prepping but it is well worth it.
Old 10-01-12, 07:20 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

If I caught an installer getting a heat gun anywhere near my paint I'd lose my cool. A heat gun has no business near a painted metal surface, let alone a painted plastic surface. I understand you probably consider it a tool of your trade but it is too risky. Yet another reason for me to stay away from any more clear bras in my future.

Originally Posted by PTmobile
Film doesnt blister. If it lifts then it is from a poor install. Installers should use a rapid tack gel or a heat gun to seal the edges down. if they do then there wont be any lifting. As far as blistering... I have never heard trhat as blistering is usually due to heat. So maybe you are not using the right terminology... but interested in what you are seeing.
Old 10-01-12, 08:33 PM
RandallsGS
Rookie

Thinking of doing this clear bra thing...never done it before. Is there a certain brand that guys have had better experiences with? Weather make a difference?

Thx!
Old 10-02-12, 04:49 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Originally Posted by bradtopp
If I caught an installer getting a heat gun anywhere near my paint I'd lose my cool. A heat gun has no business near a painted metal surface, let alone a painted plastic surface. I understand you probably consider it a tool of your trade but it is too risky. Yet another reason for me to stay away from any more clear bras in my future.
In 10 years of installing I have never had an issue. You dont hold it at the paitned surface, you hold it at a distance and let it sweep back and forth. It drys the edges out that are to be wrapped. Also film is more pliable when it is warm so it helps when tucking it. That is why you pay someone that knows what they are doing to do the job. But if thats how you feel then so be it. I guess you have never heard of a paint shop baking the panels to speed the curing process out?

Last edited by PTmobile; 10-16-12 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-02-12, 06:08 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Yes, I have heard of painters using heat to cure paint but it is not a localized blast of heat from a gun. Painters who cure with heat use circulated heat throughout the space. I absolutely would not trust a tint or clear bra installer who I found out used a heat gun. Comparing a clear bra installer to a good painter is like comparing Debbie Gibson to Slash (Slash would be the good painter by the way ).

I know we'll never see eye to eye on the clear bra thing. No problem for me. I just want to share my thoughts on the subject and how people should really be more careful.

Originally Posted by PTmobile
In 10 years of installing I have never had an issue. You dont hold it at the paitned surface, you hold it at a distance and let it sweep back and forth. It drys the edges out that are to be wrapped. Also film is more pliable when it iss warm so it helps when tucking it. That is why you pay sometime that knows whta they are doing to do the job. But if thats how you feel then so be it.I guess you have never heard of a paint shop baking the panels to speed the curing process out?
Old 10-02-12, 09:10 PM
ExtrmeLex
Rookie

As a quick FYI, the clear bra saved my car from two chips and it bounced off the bra. In my opinion it's well worth it. The guy who did the install used a hair dryer on the edges to cure the edges.
Old 10-02-12, 09:13 PM
ExtrmeLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by RandallsGS
Thinking of doing this clear bra thing...never done it before. Is there a certain brand that guys have had better experiences with? Weather make a difference?

Thx!
Check out Lee Berbs on google and Facebook . He is very well known in the industry. Tell him Vince with the F Sport sent you
Old 10-11-12, 10:31 AM
ExtrmeLex
Rookie

Trying to post the pics. Can't attach pictures?