GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Remote start "safety feature"

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-12, 05:27 AM
automaticj
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start "safety feature"

Hey guys I have the stock remote start on my 2013 gs350 awd f sport... Just curious - is there a buy pass for the issue of the car turning off if unlocked/locked or any door is opened? It's annoying to have to restart the car. If I go aftermarket will it buy pass it?

Thanks
Old 09-01-12, 11:27 AM
Allb18c
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There isn't a bypass for the OEM remote start. You will need to go aftermarket.
Old 09-01-12, 12:37 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i had aftermarket RS in 2 previous lexus vehicles. the car will not shut off if you open the door or trunk etc. but if you get in and try to put the car in drive it will shut off,,, guess that's a safety feature. never had or heard of a RS that allows you to remotely start your car and just get in and drive off without engaging the ignition.
Old 09-01-12, 02:31 PM
automaticj
Rookie

Nope I agree. I just wanted to be able to open the door without it shutting off. So I could just get in do whatever then go - so aftermarket bypasses the shutoff feature?
Old 09-03-12, 08:17 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

The OEM remote start is a waste of $500. Toyota's lawyers ruined the system's usefulness by forcing the implementation of the door open engine shut off.
Old 09-05-12, 01:05 PM
automaticj
Rookie

So the guy that does the installs says he can't find any info on a 2013 Lexus gs350. So that means he can't do the install.... Any ideas??
Old 09-10-12, 04:15 AM
automaticj
Rookie

No one knows if it will work?
Old 09-10-12, 07:17 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to be putting in the factory RS system on my GS soon.

I used to do alrm installs and what I know about the way the old RS systems worked was the shut off with the brake pedal was a safety/security feature. Since these new cars are keyless and require the brake pedal to start i think the car shutting off with the door is an acceptable safety/security measure. at least one I can live with.

I have had two clients Lexus vehicles stolen because of AM RS systems that require bypassing the imobilzer system with use of a spare key hidden under the dash.
Old 09-10-12, 07:55 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

I had the remote engine start feature on my 2012 Ford Edge. That system was far superior to the one found in the 2013 Lexus GS 350.

The system in the Edge was a factory option. Obviously, like all remote engine start systems, the doors are required to be locked for use. When the remote engine start was engaged the engine started running, but the interior accessories were not fully on. On cool days, the heater, heated seats, and the defroster would come on at full speed to rapidly warm the car's interior. On warm days, the air conditioning and ventilated seats would come on at full speed to rapidly cool the car's interior. Once the vehicle was entered using the key-less entry system (proximity key), the brake was depressed, and the engine start button was depressed (this required proximity key to be in the vehicle), the accessories would turn on and the HVAC system would resume normal operation. Additionally, Ford outfitted RES vehicle with extended range remotes with dedicated RES buttons.

The system in the GS 350 is an accessory added-on at port. It simply turns the vehicle on. All accessories are turned on. It does not have any special modes to prepare the vehicle for use. The vehicle turns itself off once a door is unlocked using the key-less entry system (proximity key). The remote is not extended in range and uses the door lock button to activate.

The remote engine start system employed in the Lexus, comparatively, is primitive. This is especially so given the high cost of the vehicle.
Old 09-10-12, 08:11 AM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

I've been told by the dealer that Lexus is coming out with a remote start system that employs one's cellphone. The parts people don't have info on it yet, but the sales manager told me that he attended a training session where the instructor informed the sales staff that a more elaborate remote start system will be available before winter.

We shall see...
Old 09-10-12, 10:54 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had aftermarket remote start, it wouldn't shut off if doors were unlocked or anything until you tap the brake pedal it would shut of right away.
Old 09-10-12, 10:56 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

I attended the same training class, they gave us minimal information during the ES 350 launch training.
The RES system will be first available on the RX 350's. Lexus did not tell us when it will be avilable or if it will be available as an add-on to the other vehicles.
Old 09-10-12, 12:12 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vasili
I've been told by the dealer that Lexus is coming out with a remote start system that employs one's cellphone. The parts people don't have info on it yet, but the sales manager told me that he attended a training session where the instructor informed the sales staff that a more elaborate remote start system will be available before winter.

We shall see...
The GS 350 has no native cellular connection, it relies upon a Bluetooth connection to a cellular phone, so I assume this will not be able to to be retrofitted to older models.
Old 09-10-12, 12:53 PM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

I'm not sure exactly how it should work, but the GS 350 does have a cell connection. The eDestination and Safety Connect both utilize a built in celluar service.
Old 09-10-12, 01:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ok not sure if i am understanding this correctly. so with the factory remote start feature, you start the car, but whenever you get close and open doors, the car will shut off?!

Quick Reply: Remote start "safety feature"