GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Remote start "safety feature"

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 01:07 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_GS3
I'm not sure exactly how it should work, but the GS 350 does have a cell connection. The eDestination and Safety Connect both utilize a built in celluar service.
You're right, the Safety Connect uses a built-in cellular module. I was under the impression that the eDestination data was transferred from the Lexus Enform application, I did not think it would have come through an on-board cellular connection.

Last edited by Outrage; 09-10-12 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-10-12, 02:08 PM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
ok not sure if i am understanding this correctly. so with the factory remote start feature, you start the car, but whenever you get close and open doors, the car will shut off?!
Yes, you can start the car, any systems left on previously will be active. As you touch the door handle to unlock and open the car the vehicle shuts off again.
Old 09-10-12, 02:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Yes, you can start the car, any systems left on previously will be active. As you touch the door handle to unlock and open the car the vehicle shuts off again.
umm, ok, this sounds pretty silly....
Old 09-10-12, 06:26 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

umm, ok, this sounds pretty silly....
it is silly!!! that's why the aftermarket RS is so much better. unfortunately my GS F-Sport had the factory RS already installed.
Old 09-10-12, 07:00 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it's silly, but I can live with having to restart the car. I would have preferred to have some control over what's on, such as defrosters and temp setting. I know I will forget to crank up the heat before I leave the car on a winter's night . I bet any new RS system will be only for the newer vehicles produced and not the current ones.
Old 09-11-12, 05:05 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mixman
I would have preferred to have some control over what's on, such as defrosters and temp setting.
At least there is one good thing, if you use our auto climate system it will run as needed to heat or cool the car the temp last set.

One thing I can't figure out is the seat heater/coolers. The owners manual says the seats will turn on too, but if anyon has noticed the seats are off everytime you restart the car, even if you left them on previously. I usually like to keep my seats on low cool and adjust as needed, but now they are always off.

I have gone through all the personalized settings loking for anything to modify this with no luck.
Old 09-11-12, 05:21 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A better option would have been to check to see if the person opening the car has the keyfob, and if the person has it, leave the engine running.

Seriously, what were they thinking?
Old 09-11-12, 06:24 AM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jj14
A better option would have been to check to see if the person opening the car has the keyfob, and if the person has it, leave the engine running.

/Winner!!!
Old 09-11-12, 08:10 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

At least there is one good thing, if you use our auto climate system it will run as needed to heat or cool the car the temp last set.

One thing I can't figure out is the seat heater/coolers. The owners manual says the seats will turn on too, but if anyon has noticed the seats are off everytime you restart the car, even if you left them on previously. I usually like to keep my seats on low cool and adjust as needed, but now they are always off.

I have gone through all the personalized settings loking for anything to modify this with no luck.
The seats functions do not come on when using the remote engine start. The remote engine start on the GS 350 can only have the functionality of the default engine start settings of the vehicle since it's just an accessory add-on.
Old 09-11-12, 08:13 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jj14

The irony is that the system is already checking for the presence of the key-less remote in order to unlock the door.
Old 09-17-12, 05:46 AM
automaticj
Rookie

ok not sure if i am understanding this correctly. so with the factory remote start feature, you start the car, but whenever you get close and open doors, the car will shut off?!
You got it! And the range is horrible!
Old 09-17-12, 06:54 PM
MarkGS
Rookie

I have a Viper (DEI) in my '12 LS, and like the factory remote start on the GS (and other Toyota models), the engine shuts off when the doors are opened. To my knowledge, there is no bypass. Toyota/Lexus intended it to work this way.

I also have SmartStart, which is the cellular remote start option.

Viper can be programmed to be integrated into the OEM Fob, but this is not available if you add the SmartStart option. Bluetooth and GPS functionality is also available.

Cadillac's OEM remote start allows you to get into the car and hit the start button (with fob present) to keep the car running. If you try and put the car in gear without the fob, it will shut down.

This seems to make much better sense, but I suspect Toyota/Lexus has their reasons for the way they chose to remote start their vehicles.

For the most part, remote start is just a novelty. The one difference I will concede is being able to warm up/cool down your car in advance. When I fly home from a trip, I can remote start my vehicle while I am taking the shuttle from the airport terminal to the parking lot.

I know of no remote system that can bypass any current model Lexus.....
Old 09-18-12, 06:57 PM
aptekcom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MarkGS
I have a Viper (DEI) in my '12 LS, and like the factory remote start on the GS (and other Toyota models), the engine shuts off when the doors are opened. To my knowledge, there is no bypass. Toyota/Lexus intended it to work this way.

I also have SmartStart, which is the cellular remote start option.

Viper can be programmed to be integrated into the OEM Fob, but this is not available if you add the SmartStart option. Bluetooth and GPS functionality is also available.

Cadillac's OEM remote start allows you to get into the car and hit the start button (with fob present) to keep the car running. If you try and put the car in gear without the fob, it will shut down.

This seems to make much better sense, but I suspect Toyota/Lexus has their reasons for the way they chose to remote start their vehicles.

For the most part, remote start is just a novelty. The one difference I will concede is being able to warm up/cool down your car in advance. When I fly home from a trip, I can remote start my vehicle while I am taking the shuttle from the airport terminal to the parking lot.

I know of no remote system that can bypass any current model Lexus.....

In June, I bought a 2012 Sienna Limited for the family. I really wanted the remote start, but hated the Toyota "safety" feature, so i went aftermarket. I bought the Viper Remote Start unit, and got the "Fortin" module. Now, we can remote start up to a mile away, get feedback on the remote, and most importantly, the van does NOT shut off when we open the doors! Almost perfect, the only downside is that we had to have a second remote. Its not so bad because it has a display which will let you know that car really did turn on without having to be within 20 feet of it!

I just got my GS about 3 weeks ago, love it, but did not get the remote start in it. I figured if i really want it, i can always add it later.
Old 05-23-14, 03:06 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
The irony is that the system is already checking for the presence of the key-less remote in order to unlock the door.

DOh! lmao ... it doesn't matter, it'll take 1 whole generation before it's figured out. The users have to give the specification to the middle man, and the middle man has to hand it off to the engineers (reasons being, the middle man has people skills).
Old 05-23-14, 07:44 PM
fsportjay
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

it looks like this company makes a bypass that will allow you to remote start the car and open the door without it shutting off - just not for the GS, but other lexus models so it shouldnt be too far off time wise before they figure it out. http://www.idatalink.com/

ideally i would like operate it with my stock keyfob (I don't want to carry another fob) and use my smartphone or tablet for the long range operation. something along the lines of this:
where the touch sensors still work on the doors after remotely started.