GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Cold Weather Package?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-12, 06:21 AM
organa7
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cold Weather Package?

I live in the South so I do not have very bad winters and I have a garage. But I was thinking I would like to have the heated steering wheel so I could avoid those drives where I alternate sitting on my hands to try and get them warm. I don't think you can get the heated wheel without getting the Cold Weather Package.

So I just wanted to ask everybody their opinions or impressions of the options added in the cold weather package, and whether it is worth having.

Thanks.

Cold Weather Package
Heated steering wheel
High-intensity interior heater
Headlamp washers (standard on AWD)
Windshield-wiper deicer
Water-repellent front-door glass
Old 08-30-12, 06:36 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I remember reading somewhere that only the side portions of the wheel are heated (the leather covered parts on the lux package wood / leather wheel). Something the check out / consider.
Old 08-30-12, 08:43 AM
rlj4246
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the heated steering wheel before on my LS so I wanted it on my GS. The water-repellent front glass is a handy thing to have in any climate. It is the leather wrapped part of the steering wheel that's heated but that's no problem. About the only thing in the Cold weather pkg. I don't personally care for is the headlamp washers.
Old 08-30-12, 09:13 AM
DrKeith
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the cold weather package on my luxury GS. I live in the midwest where the cold weather package is necessary but I haven't used the heated seats yet. i have a heated garage but at work my GS is in an unheated structure.
I can confirm that the heated steering wheel only heats the leather wrapped sections of the steering wheel and not the wood. If it is cold enough that you are sitting on your hands then I think the heated seats/high intensity heat along with the heated steering wheel will get you comfortable within a matter of minutes.

The headlight washers probably won't serve much purpose for you. They shoot fluid onto the hood of the car in addition to the headlights.
Old 08-30-12, 09:15 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

As others have said, the heated steering wheel is roughly 10-7 and 2-5 (thinking of clock hand positions). So a lot of the top half of the steering wheel is missed. I typically drive with my left hand on the top, so this option is somewhat useless. Fotunately the F-Sport doesn't have the wooden steering wheel, so it's not as "cold" as it could be in the winter.
Old 08-30-12, 05:28 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cold weather package is an excellent addition in most climates. The only area where the options may not be needed are in Southern Florida or Hawaii. The least useful is the headlight washers, all of the other portions are useful.

The heated steering wheel is a nice touch, does not get too hot, and only on the leather covered portion of the wheel. I have not used it in my Lexus, but I have in my Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes with enough comfort in thempa below 45 degrees.
Old 08-30-12, 06:03 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

A heated steering wheel would seem to be superfluous here in southern Arizona.
Old 08-30-12, 07:59 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You're in the south so you more or less know how cold it gets. Do you think you need it??? Go ahead and splurge. Get the CW pckg.
Old 08-31-12, 06:01 AM
organa7
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I was aware only the leather part gets heated on the steering wheel. While that is not normally where I hold it, I figured if my hands were freezing I could make an exception until they warm up.

Apparently nobody cares for the headlamp washers, and after looking at some other opinions on them as well as some YouTube videos I can see that the main thing will be making sure I don't accidentally push this button.

I am curious about that water repellent glass. I have always used Rain-X. So is it just as good as that except that you don't have to apply it with each wash? If so I really wish I could get it on all windows.
Old 08-31-12, 06:43 AM
rlj4246
Pole Position

Yes, it works like rain-x. I would like to have it on all windows. I've had it on three cars and would not have bought one without it.
Old 08-31-12, 07:15 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Whatever it is that Lexus uses to coat the front windows must cost a fortune. Why they choose to not put it on EVERY window is a head scratcher. But then again, they had tape decks in the 3GS.
Old 08-31-12, 08:02 AM
rlj4246
Pole Position

Is a mystery to me too. My 09 LS had it on the front side windows too. Not all windows like you would expect.
Old 08-31-12, 08:47 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

the WR front door glass is neat. however, how many of us really notice it and it's function unless we're washing our cars? just curious.
Old 08-31-12, 08:53 AM
rlj4246
Pole Position

I notice it every time it rains hard. I think it's a great safety feature. I never notice it when I'm washing my car. That's just me however.
Old 08-31-12, 09:33 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

So why is it not put on the windshield? Eliminate windshield wipers altogether....save weight and increase the 0-60 time with the same outdated engine!!!1!!!11Juan!!!

Seriously, this must be some turbo secret compound where the original inventor has died and forgot to write down the recipe.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Package?