GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What are some things you like and dislike about your GS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-20, 06:34 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default What are some things you like and dislike about your GS?

What are some things you like and dislike about your GS? Also how long do you plan on keeping the GS?

I personally like the handling, exterior and interior look, decent power and overall reliability about the car. The things I don't like are minor issues: stuff like the sunroof rattle, interior rattles, and poor gas mileage (which I can live with).
I have owned the car for 3 years(bought it 2 years old) coming this February and have had an overall decent experience. I have no plans on selling the car yet but may consider trading it in a few years.

Just a general discussion share anything about your GS you'd like.

Old 01-06-20, 06:56 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 440 Likes on 309 Posts

Our GS has spoiled me. Our Tesla is a different car, so futuristic in comparison.
But outside of that, I love this car. Yes, the gas mileage sucks, but it's all good.
Old 01-06-20, 07:39 AM
DAVEB1980
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

Love Lexus-Great car and have owned 2. Only complaints are the suspension on my 2013 was a lot more tight and Lexus deleted the foggers on new models.
Old 01-06-20, 08:26 AM
mjo13
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Similar to you, love the exterior and interior looks, the handling, quality of materials, reliability so far.

Dislikes: Ergonomics. Seats are pretty comfortable but have some minor gripes. I have AWD so the cdiff tunnel bulge gets annoying on longer trips. The rearview mirror is too low and I wish the seat itself would go lower (I'm 6'1" with a longer torso). Unless my foot is perfectly placed on the gas pedal, top of my foot sometimes catches on trim under the dash. Unfortunately these interiors were designed for 5'9" Japanese men and not taller bodied folks.

These quibbles are minor though and overall I love the car and hope to keep it for a long while.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (01-06-20)
Old 01-06-20, 09:02 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 161 Likes on 123 Posts

I LOVE the styling, and initially I thought there was nothing you could mod, through here I have found many great things to improve car's looks. I wish I had my exact car, but with an updated interior, even the ES redesigned interior, but for now I am happy in my 2015 non f sport
Old 01-06-20, 10:42 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

Likes: Reliability, build quality, low maintenance, seemingly has dual personalities depending your mood. Aging well - still looks good and cleans up real nice. Feels unique as not many GS's around my neck of the woods.

Dislikes: Gas mileage w/AWD in city similar to my old RWD V8 GS430. Non-Lux, base seats are a little stiff. Whining noise at 60mph even though it was addressed at dealer via TSB. Never really liked the joystick for infotainment but have gotten used to it.

Plan to keep mine for at least another 3-5 years. Purchased as CPO in 2015. Currently at 59k miles.
drgrant (01-06-20)
Old 01-06-20, 12:37 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Came from the ES and love the GS. My only complaint is that I'm not impressed with the handling performance of the car. When I switched from the ES, I thought there would be a noticeable improvement in the balance of the vehicle considering that it's RWD car. However, I was left impressed. In many ways, the FWD ES could do almost as much as the GS since it's lighter. Not a deal breaker though.
Old 01-06-20, 02:06 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by azipod
Came from the ES and love the GS. My only complaint is that I'm not impressed with the handling performance of the car. When I switched from the ES, I thought there would be a noticeable improvement in the balance of the vehicle considering that it's RWD car. However, I was left impressed. In many ways, the FWD ES could do almost as much as the GS since it's lighter. Not a deal breaker though.
Thats interesting - i haven't driven the redesigned 2019+ ES, but personally always felt that 2013-2018 gen ES suffered from a lot of understeer and felt disconnected/floaty compared to my '13 non F-sport GS.
Old 01-06-20, 03:41 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I struggle to come up with any real negatives. I just love the car. I’m on vacation in Florida, driving a Pacifica, so I’m missing it terribly.

I plan to keep it long term. Will probably pass it off to one of my kids when they get licensed.
jonathancl (01-07-20)
Old 01-06-20, 03:49 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVEB1980
Love Lexus-Great car and have owned 2. Only complaints are the suspension on my 2013 was a lot more tight and Lexus deleted the foggers on new models.
The 2013-2015 and 2016+ GS are almost two different cars in terms of handling due to suspension changes and steering feel (too light in 2016+ models even in Sport mode). This has been reported by multiple owners in this forum who have owned both the 4GS and 4.5GS. The 2016+ non-F-Sport GS is pretty close to an ES, unfortunately.

Also, see this thread : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...n-your-gs.html
Old 01-06-20, 07:40 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Man... I wished it had more tech, Car Play and Android Auto especially.

Love the safety... son and I walked away with from this with just sore muscles. Every single air bag inflated.

Last edited by chinee; 01-07-20 at 05:52 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by chinee:
jonathancl (01-07-20), Mulch (01-17-20), signdetres (01-06-20)
Old 01-06-20, 07:49 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
Man... I wished it had more tech, Car Play and Android Auto especially.

Love the safety... son and I walked away with from this with just sore muscles. Every single air inflated.
Why not get the Beat-sonic Apple Carplay/Android Auto add on device or Android based system like Grom or Lsailt?

Last edited by peasodos; 01-06-20 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-06-20, 08:02 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Why not get the Beat-sonic Apple Carplay/Android Auto add on device or Android based system like from or Lsailt?
Car still too new... 2018 with less than 15K miles. Read a few comments that the available systems are still a little glitchy (if I remember correctly), so I'm not 100% sold on the aftermarket units. I know I need to do more research, but I prefer to wait a little longer...
Old 01-06-20, 08:16 PM
RocketChd
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As mentioned earlier, the car's looks still don't look dated yet. Since I park at the back part of the parking lot, I will see cars that slow down to look at it when I returning to it from the store, which I find flattering. The deep red interior is a knockout color that you don't get tired of, like some of the brighter red leathers out there. The exterior colors used across the GS (the silvers and reds) are nice and refined also. Lexus really made a car for oversized boys that don't want the psycho girlfriend (BMW). Also, I like that four tall adults can fit in the car. I didn't even consider the Acuras because my head hit the roof in the backseat, though my knees fit.

Getting out of the car is hard as hell for me. My Tundra had a handle that I got used to and really miss it when pulling myself out of the car (I'm 6'1"). I find I use the steering wheel too much for leverage. Also, coming from a truck, I used to throw a bike in the bed or cab. I can't drop the rear seats in the GS if I have to put anything in the truck. I plan on putting a remote start in the vehicle and I think the new subscription service is BS. I'm lucky mine is a 2014 and it is just a module.

I totally would buy this car a second time. When my Tundra got stolen last spring, this was the car I had researched for some time and I'm completely happy with my purchase. If anything I would get the GS-F now if the LC-500 wasn't tapping me on the shoulder.
drgrant (01-06-20)
Old 01-06-20, 08:36 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't even understand how this is possible. My parents have ES350s (not the newest gen, the one before it) and both of them, while nice cars, are floatmobiles compared to my GS. If the road is dry I can take an offramp at 50+ and not feel like I'm going to die, doing that in an ES is a considerably more hairy proposition.

Then again if you're not pushing it at all you might never be liable to notice the difference, either... I can understand that.

-Mike

Quick Reply: What are some things you like and dislike about your GS?