GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Concerns with Tight / Low Cabin of GS

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-12, 11:15 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Concerns with Tight / Low Cabin of GS

After 5k miles in my GS, I'm having more problems entering / exiting the GS due to the low body and I'm feeling rather tight in the cabin - both in width and height. Anyone else having these concerns? Heck, my Prius feels like it has more room. While I still love the way the car drives & handles, I have a couple road trips ahead and I'm not really looking forward to folding myself into the GS for hours on end. I'm starting to wonder whether the car is right for me in the long run or whether I should be in a RX or a pickup.
Old 08-19-12, 11:22 AM
photoguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it's smaller than a lot of cars out there.

I'm 6'1" with short hair. I wouldn't recommend the GS for anyone taller than me or with taller hair if you want to sit perfectly upright in the vehicle.

Sometimes I sit in the back seat as a gift to my 10 year old to let him play with the electronics while my wife drives. It's not comfortable.

Originally Posted by caddyowner
After 5k miles in my GS, I'm having more problems entering / exiting the GS due to the low body and I'm feeling rather tight in the cabin - both in width and height. Anyone else having these concerns? Heck, my Prius feels like it has more room. While I still love the way the car drives & handles, I have a couple road trips ahead and I'm not really looking forward to folding myself into the GS for hours on end. I'm starting to wonder whether the car is right for me in the long run or whether I should be in a RX or a pickup.
Old 08-19-12, 01:23 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Interesting, I found my seating position today "uncomfortable" for the first time ever, so your post is timely. It might be because I'm sore from the gym yesterday, but I think I need to make adjustments anyways.

I'll play around with it when I have a bit more time. I think my issue is with the headrest being a bit too forward and my thigh support being low. I'll play around with it and see how I feel after a few more days of driving.

The car is unique in that I feel it sits lower than others in its class. But that's something I like!
Old 08-19-12, 02:25 PM
Mojo122
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from a 2005 TL that was dropped a bit I find the GS a little higher than the Acura when entering and exiting. Took me a while to figure out all the seat adjustments and dial the setting in for me.
Old 08-19-12, 03:44 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,214 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm 6'2 and fit very nicely in there

The backseat room is tiny though! I will have 4 adults in my car for a long trip soon and the front seats have to move forward if they want their feet to fit!
Old 08-19-12, 03:57 PM
2013GS
Rookie

Yes, there are some problems entering and exiting the vehicle because it is rather low especially when compared to my previous vehicle. My wife has more problems on the passenger side than I have on the drivers side because she is disabled. I also use the full exit setting to push the seat back and the steering wheel up on the drivers side.

Once inside its OK because neither my wife nor I are very tall and we don't usually have anyone in the back seats. However, I only have 500 miles on the car and haven't taken any long road trips in the vehicle.

If my wife and I were a lot younger, it probably wouldn't be an issue at all to enter and exit the vehicle but as you get a little older its not quite as easy.
Old 08-19-12, 06:18 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

I have had multiple cars, and many sport cars so entry and egress are typical of sport luxury cars. I am still figuring out all of the seat adjustments as I usually se them very low. I am continually adjusting thigh, bolster and lumbar support.

Inside the amount of room is similar to Porsche, Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Acura sport sedans that I have driven.

The full exit setting on the drivers seat is such an important feature and makes entry and exit very helpful. I am a very bad arthritic knee and I purchase all my cars after testing each car that I have a comfortable placement for my knee. I can tell you the space in 13 GS, '12 IS and '12 Ls are selling points for me, very comfortable. I have a problem with SUV types because they are easy to get into and out, but the position of the seat forces me to keep the knee bent, so it's not comfortable on long drives. That is the reason that I got the Volvo XC 70 more like a car than SUV.
The '13 GS is very concerned with the driver in almost every aspect-- entry, egress, and even the base seat is very comfortable. I had placed about 2800 miles before trading it in, very comfortable ride.
Old 08-19-12, 07:40 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Very interesting observations. I guess it is all a matter of perspective. I came from an Audi S5, and I feel the seating position is high. I am 5'8" and I have the seat almost all the way down. I would prefer it a bit lower, but I'm fine with it and find it to be very comfortable for long drives. I also think there is plenty of room in the front, but again, it is all a matter of perspective.
Old 08-19-12, 09:36 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

you must be a big dude. i have no problems ent/ext the car. i have my seat set to move back and steering wheel goes up, but i'm already out of the car before it's done.
Old 08-19-12, 10:46 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

caddyowner if you remember this was the single most reason why I got rid of an otherwise gem of a car. I found the 4G to be a lil too cramped for my liking. The height was okay but can't say the same for the width. Although I was always able to find a comfortable seating position, getting out wasn't the easiest. I am not saying it was a struggle but just wasn't the easiest in turns of a fluid enter/exit motion. Secondly, when the driver's seat was in the ideal position the driver's side back seat was a no-go! I am an average 6-2 dude with an athletic build.

Last edited by GX4704ME; 08-19-12 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-20-12, 05:39 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

You all must not have owned the 3GS. Cabin space in the 4GS is much better. I'm 6' and my head is no where near the roof, like it was in the 3GS. I do not sit completely vertical though...it is reclined a bit to match how I like to sit. I currently have a forward facing child seat in the driver side rear. She can't reach my seat with her feet while the car is moving. Other than the engine, I love the car! (but I knew that going in, so blaming myself)
Old 08-20-12, 05:53 AM
photoguy
Rookie

I've owned the 3GS and sat in the 4GS a long time looking at this exact issue.

You're right it's about how you sit. If you don't sit completely upright you'll have plenty of room.

If you do sit completely upright you better have short hair, even in the 4GS.

Maybe this is why the man/women ratio is polar opposite for the GS vs RX. Most men don't have big hair, drive GS. Women have most of the big hair styles, drive RX with tons of headroom.

(I know there are exceptions but gender is really skewed on these two vehicles).

Originally Posted by jtrue28
You all must not have owned the 3GS. Cabin space in the 4GS is much better. I'm 6' and my head is no where near the roof, like it was in the 3GS. I do not sit completely vertical though...it is reclined a bit to match how I like to sit.
Old 08-20-12, 06:18 AM
kyo7878
Pole Position

As a former RX owner myself, the seating space for RX is about the same as GS, except you sit higher in the RX.
I actually prefer the lower seat in the GS, so I don't keep on squashing the hip support while entering/exiting the car, causing excessive wear on one spot over time.
If you prefer something more spacious, I doubt RX would be the right choice either.

pulled this from Lexus site:
RX
Headroom 39.0/37.7 in
Legroom 43.1/37.1 in
Shoulder Room 57.9/57.5 in
Hip Room 55.5/54.5 in

GS
Headroom 38.0/37.8 in
Legroom 42.3/36.8 in
Shoulder Room 57.3/55.7 in
Hip Room unavailable
Old 08-20-12, 07:34 AM
codraw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it fits me perfectly, though i have a medium body frame...i some time found the rear view mirror was a bit too low which kind of blocking the view...wish it could be adjusted even higher...
Old 08-20-12, 07:42 AM
photoguy
Rookie

Good info, the headroom is only 1" greater on the RX, didn't know it was that close.

Btw, if you're a dude, no slight meant on the gender thing. I actually came very close to buying one for myself, really like them.

Originally Posted by kyo7878
As a former RX owner myself, the seating space for RX is about the same as GS, except you sit higher in the RX.
I actually prefer the lower seat in the GS, so I don't keep on squashing the hip support while entering/exiting the car, causing excessive wear on one spot over time.
If you prefer something more spacious, I doubt RX would be the right choice either.

pulled this from Lexus site:
RX
Headroom 39.0/37.7 in
Legroom 43.1/37.1 in
Shoulder Room 57.9/57.5 in
Hip Room 55.5/54.5 in

GS
Headroom 38.0/37.8 in
Legroom 42.3/36.8 in
Shoulder Room 57.3/55.7 in
Hip Room unavailable

Quick Reply: Concerns with Tight / Low Cabin of GS