GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

should I get the '15 GS-F or 2013 LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-15, 09:20 AM
silguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default should I get the '15 GS-F or 2013 LS460?

Hello,

Our lease is due in a couple months for our '13 GS-F. We have the option of keeping the car or buy the new 2015 GS-F or for $50k should I go to an older 2013 Lexus LS460?
Just want to hear you're opinion on this. Problem for me is I've never had a car more expensive than 4th Gen GS so it's hard for me to decide. I can read all day, but looking for some real life experiences from users. I also thought about the BMW 5 Series or Mercedes E class (wife likes these).
What do you guys think about the new GS or the LS? I understand it's all personal opinions, but I still want to hear it...
Old 04-22-15, 10:23 AM
Hub202
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man. I would go with the Ls. It has already depreciated for the most part and the body change doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon as with the GS. It should be getting a change for 2016 so either wait for that or go with the Ls
Old 04-22-15, 10:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Suggestion - With the GS-F coming out (vs GS F-sport), probably want to clarify what you are asking folks to compare. Based on calling your current GS a GS-F I assume you're talking about F-Sport but it'll be two different animals!
Old 04-22-15, 10:48 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

If your not talking about the GS-F and speaking about the F-Sport I would go with the LS hands down.
Old 04-22-15, 11:16 AM
silguy
Driver School Candidate

my bad, i knew that! Yes, I'm referring to F-Sport. sorry for the newb call-out....
Old 04-22-15, 11:27 AM
Nobeanspls
Driver

The 2013 LS has the latest updates including the new grill and interior updates. I think the next LS may be coming in a year or two so keep that in mind. The 16 GS is a refresh but I believe the 2017 LS will be a whole new generation.

That being said if you want more luxury and comfort I think LS is the way to go. The GS is nice but unless you are a guy who cares about handling the LS should be better in just about every other aspect. It is bigger though, so make sure you are comfortable driving and parking it.
Old 04-22-15, 11:33 AM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

what factors of the car are most important to you? I think the GS F-Sport is a little more fun to drive than the LS460. The LS460 is more comfortable but does get up and go when you get on it though.
Old 04-22-15, 11:39 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Many factors need to be considered:
-Depends what you value in a car...sportiness (GS F-sport) or luxuriousness (LS). I assume you're looking at a regular LS rather than an F-sport one for that price, but it still wouldn't handle as well as the GS due to the size and weight.
-It also depends if you're ok driving a used car or want peace of mind in driving a new car.
-Depends if you're planning on leasing again

Personally, the GS is perfect for me due to smaller size (mainly just me in the car, but enough room for rear passengers) and better handling. I don't care too much about having the smoothest ride like in the LS. So I would say go for the 2015 GS F-sport, especially with the great deals right now. I also like the 2015 GS F-sport styling better than the 2016.

I wouldn't consider the 5-series (especially the 528i) due to dealer service experience and reliability. My cousin had a few BMWs and they always had major problems (engine and battery) even within the lease terms. The E-class is a little old even though it just went through refresh, and it's the worst handling in the class. Dealer experience at MB isn't much better than BMW. One thing I noticed for the loaner cars at my local MB dealer tend to not have Navi and are the base cars in the range, and they are stingy on giving them out (anything less than 3 hours, they only allow shuttle or wait). My Lexus dealer always gives me a loaner car (nice big range of Lexus, all with Navi) no matter what service is being performed on my car.
Old 04-22-15, 05:05 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

LS fsport? I'd make the change if I could afford it.
Old 04-23-15, 08:09 AM
silguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar

Personally, the GS is perfect for me due to smaller size (mainly just me in the car, but enough room for rear passengers) and better handling. I don't care too much about having the smoothest ride like in the LS. So I would say go for the 2015 GS F-sport, especially with the great deals right now. I also like the 2015 GS F-sport styling better than the 2016.

I wouldn't consider the 5-series (especially the 528i) due to dealer service experience and reliability. My cousin had a few BMWs and they always had major problems (engine and battery) even within the lease terms. The E-class is a little old even though it just went through refresh, and it's the worst handling in the class. Dealer experience at MB isn't much better than BMW. One thing I noticed for the loaner cars at my local MB dealer tend to not have Navi and are the base cars in the range, and they are stingy on giving them out (anything less than 3 hours, they only allow shuttle or wait). My Lexus dealer always gives me a loaner car (nice big range of Lexus, all with Navi) no matter what service is being performed on my car.
Thanks for the replies everyone! The above is pretty much what I'm looking for. Some personal opinions. Maybe I should've posted this in the general forum. Personally, i wouldn't get a Mercedes or BMW unless it's an AMG with the 63 variant or BMW w/ the M badge.
Trying to stay GS specific, I do really love my GS. I love everything about it. But at the same time, I'm at a point where slamming a car, modifying or doing constant engine rebuild is a bit played out (Not saying I need to do that w/ the GS). I'd like some quietness while I'm driving where I can actually enjoy a conversation or some music. Also, I'm quite tired of grease under my nails and getting under a car...lol. The GS is nice, but cruise speed wind noise from the driver's window is annoying me. I hope they took care of that if I decide to get the new GS. I also love the GS for how smooth it is when I'm going 80mph or above. Or just how smooth the 2GR V6 is. Where 80 almost feels like 60. But I'm assuming the V8 from the LS460 would be just as smooth cruising. Or when I feel the need to floor it at 80... From what I've seen, F-sport on the LS460 isn't that big of a deal.
As for handling, I'm mostly in LA traffic, so it's not a main concern. I have another smaller car where I put all sorts of chassis bars in it and majority of the time, i go straight or i sit in traffic where the noise and vibration annoys me. I can't really listen to the radio as I have to crank it up to over power all the other noises, so I just left it.
Old 04-23-15, 08:36 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by silguy
Thanks for the replies everyone! The above is pretty much what I'm looking for. Some personal opinions. Maybe I should've posted this in the general forum. Personally, i wouldn't get a Mercedes or BMW unless it's an AMG with the 63 variant or BMW w/ the M badge.
Trying to stay GS specific, I do really love my GS. I love everything about it. But at the same time, I'm at a point where slamming a car, modifying or doing constant engine rebuild is a bit played out (Not saying I need to do that w/ the GS). I'd like some quietness while I'm driving where I can actually enjoy a conversation or some music. Also, I'm quite tired of grease under my nails and getting under a car...lol. The GS is nice, but cruise speed wind noise from the driver's window is annoying me. I hope they took care of that if I decide to get the new GS. I also love the GS for how smooth it is when I'm going 80mph or above. Or just how smooth the 2GR V6 is. Where 80 almost feels like 60. But I'm assuming the V8 from the LS460 would be just as smooth cruising. Or when I feel the need to floor it at 80... From what I've seen, F-sport on the LS460 isn't that big of a deal.
As for handling, I'm mostly in LA traffic, so it's not a main concern. I have another smaller car where I put all sorts of chassis bars in it and majority of the time, i go straight or i sit in traffic where the noise and vibration annoys me. I can't really listen to the radio as I have to crank it up to over power all the other noises, so I just left it.
They kinda addressed wind noise on the 2015 with standard dual pane windows on the front windows (on all GS rather than certain packaged ones). I went from a 2013 to a 2015 F-sport and noticed the improvement. Whatever you choose, they are both great cars; just make sure you test drive them back to back.
Old 04-23-15, 09:03 AM
susar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband loves his 2008 ls 460l and never wants to get rid of it. I'm trading my 2012 es for the new GS FSport that has all the options plus a great lease deal this month!!!