GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS350 vs 2013 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 09:47 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2013 GS350 vs 2013 LS460

I am impressed at how much these 2 models look alike. The LS looks just like a larger version of the GS:

Lexus Reveals the Bold New 2013 LS

Old 08-16-12, 01:58 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not impress with the way Lexus built car now:

The LS will be the biggest version of GS. New IS will be the smallest version of GS. ES will be between GS & IS. CT is the hybrid hatchback version of IS. RX is the crossover of ES & IS.

The biggest version of Lexus will have some updated options while the smaller version have outdated options or lacking some standard options. Lexus will keep taking out options from the smaller version just to make them look different and luring people to buy their bigger version. And for now all their motor & tranny are the same from previous gen which is 2 gen behind compare to other car makers. Example the 4GS & IS will be always less horsepower than the Infiniti G series.
Old 08-16-12, 03:14 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onexcite

The LS will be the biggest version of GS. New IS will be the smallest version of GS. ES will be between GS & IS. CT is the hybrid hatchback version of IS. RX is the crossover of ES & IS.

The biggest version of Lexus will have some updated options while the smaller version have outdated options or lacking some standard options. Lexus will keep taking out options from the smaller version just to make them look different and luring people to buy their bigger version. And for now all their motor & tranny are the same from previous gen which is 2 gen behind compare to other car makers. Example the 4GS & IS will be always less horsepower than the Infiniti G series.
Well imo i think lexus is developing new v6 engines to be introduced w the 3rd gen IS, at least a 350hp for the IS, and apparently a twin turbo v6 for the ISF. Then hopefully these will trickle up to the GS. I dont know what they have in store for the GS-F. I think it will be a huge mistake if they use the same engine in the ISF and GSF. They've denied a v8 in the GS, and a v10 (different from the LFA) doesn't seem likely from an emission or performance point of view. So lets just wait and see. But id b very disappointed if there is no new updated v6 engine for the top of the line, non F model, IS.
Old 08-16-12, 03:15 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also dont know how i feel about following the audi beemer route of making all the models look the same, i got an IS, and i had a 4gen GS behind me at night the other day, and i swear i thought it was an IS
Old 08-16-12, 03:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

CTh is IS hatchback? Dont we wish!!!
Old 08-16-12, 05:06 PM
ahearn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the new LS, it seems Lexus is trying too hard to create a sporty image, a la BMW, but it 's overkill in my opinion. It's just a big GS -- with a nice massage seat in the back -- and the only way to get a V8 anymore. Nice but I'll stay with my GS -- without the massage seat, darn it.
Old 08-16-12, 08:14 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm not blown away by the refresh of the LS, and the front of the LS F-Sport looks like a Mitsubishi to me. Maybe I'll feel differently after seeing it in person.
Old 08-17-12, 04:46 AM
bobp
Driver School Candidate

I replaced my GS with the 07 LS when it first came out - and it a was market leader in multiple areas (HDD infotainment system, automatic parking, ...).

The 13 LS is an improvement, but not a major improvement, not like the 07 LS was. It's a refresh - and for a refresh it's not bad - but I was looking for more.

The gas mileage is extremely disappointing - about the same as my 6 year old 07 LS. Other manufacturers have caught and and passed Lexus on their infotainment/dashboard technology (Cadillac's CUE in their new XTS or the Tesla Model S).

I've been waiting to see the new LS before deciding what to get as a replacement for my 07 LS (which has been a great car!). At this point, if I buy a Lexus to replace my LS, it's more likely to be the GS 450h - which has many of the features of the 13 LS - along with better gas mileage.

I test drove a Tesla Model S last weekend - and it does look like it could be a great car - 250-300 miles on a charge - 0-60 in 4.4 seconds - lots of storage space (including the "frunk") - all electronic dashboard plus 17" infotainment system - built-in 3G/4G internet, without having to connect through a cell phone - and I would probably save at least $3K per year on gas and maintenance. While it doesn't have all of the bells-and-whistles on the new LS/GS models - it does have significant improvements, in multiple areas - and I wouldn't miss not having to stop at a gas station and drop $75-$100 to refuel my car every week!!!

I will take a closer look at the new GS & LS before making a final decision on what to get next.

Just wish Lexus had done more with the new LS...
Old 08-17-12, 05:11 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

why would you expect the gas mileage to change. Its essentially the same body and engine]

Taken a look at the ES300h? The car is spacious and it makes 40/39 mpg
Old 08-20-12, 03:11 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like how they added a LSD, that will make it handle nice dont understand why they didnt do that to the gs. if they did man it will handle like a beast. The new is will probally still be the same engine except the isf. Maybe a new tranny DCT. They didnt chnage the 335i engine so i dont think lexus will with the 350 if they did they would of put a new motor in the gs.
Old 08-20-12, 03:35 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lexus has always been booooooooooooooring! (up until the ISF) Now their cars are fun. I love what lexus is doing.
Old 08-20-12, 03:38 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus should have a different name for the 4GS: LS350s which s stand for short.

Here is my explain for LS350s: short in every dimensions.

- Shorter than LS. (make sense)

- Same motor and old tranny. The new RX F-sport even had 8 speed. Come on Lexus I knew you save something for next year models.

- Less standard equipment than LS (power trunk, power folding mirror, full speed laser cruise control, full LED package....)

- More short even less equip with outdated tech than ES. ES Lux had power trunk, panorama glass roof, backup sensor with cross traffic warning.....

Is that make sense to name the 4GS with LS350s yet?

From another angry 4GS Lux customer .

ps: That's why I saw a lot of pre-owned 4GS on eBay and dealer car lot recently and keep increasing.
Old 08-20-12, 08:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Lexus should have a different name for the 4GS: LS350s which s stand for short.

Here is my explain for LS350s: short in every dimensions.

- Shorter than LS. (make sense)

- Same motor and old tranny. The new RX F-sport even had 8 speed. Come on Lexus I knew you save something for next year models.

- Less standard equipment than LS (power trunk, power folding mirror, full speed laser cruise control, full LED package....)

- More short even less equip with outdated tech than ES. ES Lux had power trunk, panorama glass roof, backup sensor with cross traffic warning.....

Is that make sense to name the 4GS with LS350s yet?

From another angry 4GS Lux customer .

ps: That's why I saw a lot of pre-owned 4GS on eBay and dealer car lot recently and keep increasing.
Why in the world did you purchase 4GS?
Old 08-20-12, 08:25 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bobp
I replaced my GS with the 07 LS when it first came out - and it a was market leader in multiple areas (HDD infotainment system, automatic parking, ...).

The 13 LS is an improvement, but not a major improvement, not like the 07 LS was. It's a refresh - and for a refresh it's not bad - but I was looking for more.

The gas mileage is extremely disappointing - about the same as my 6 year old 07 LS. Other manufacturers have caught and and passed Lexus on their infotainment/dashboard technology (Cadillac's CUE in their new XTS or the Tesla Model S).

I've been waiting to see the new LS before deciding what to get as a replacement for my 07 LS (which has been a great car!). At this point, if I buy a Lexus to replace my LS, it's more likely to be the GS 450h - which has many of the features of the 13 LS - along with better gas mileage.

I test drove a Tesla Model S last weekend - and it does look like it could be a great car - 250-300 miles on a charge - 0-60 in 4.4 seconds - lots of storage space (including the "frunk") - all electronic dashboard plus 17" infotainment system - built-in 3G/4G internet, without having to connect through a cell phone - and I would probably save at least $3K per year on gas and maintenance. While it doesn't have all of the bells-and-whistles on the new LS/GS models - it does have significant improvements, in multiple areas - and I wouldn't miss not having to stop at a gas station and drop $75-$100 to refuel my car every week!!!

I will take a closer look at the new GS & LS before making a final decision on what to get next.

Just wish Lexus had done more with the new LS...
Was that one of the Teslas they have parked outside the Palomar Hotel on I-75 and Mockingbird? I've seen a lot of those being driven around that area.
Old 08-20-12, 08:44 PM
gjmattos
Driver School Candidate

My wife has a 09 LS 460 ready to trade and waiting for the new LS to hit the dealers. Also started to look at MB CLS 550 today as well. It has me thinking.

Quick Reply: 2013 GS350 vs 2013 LS460