GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Colors on the GS dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 08:18 AM
Squirrelsb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Colors on the GS dash

OK.. I know about the blue meaning you're in a more eco mode and the red meaning performance.. but does anyone know what the shades of each color mean? My car will go from a DARK blue to a lighter one, then black of course, then back to a blue (all within the same trip). I drive in normal mode. Now obviously one would think that the lighter mode would signify less fuel performance but I dont see that. My gas mileage doesnt seem to increase or decrease and the different shades of blue appear to have no meaning as I've been topping 80mph and still had a dark blue dash color.

Any ideas? Aesthetics maybe?
Old 08-16-12, 08:37 AM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirrelsb
OK.. I know about the blue meaning you're in a more eco mode and the red meaning performance.. but does anyone know what the shades of each color mean? My car will go from a DARK blue to a lighter one, then black of course, then back to a blue (all within the same trip). I drive in normal mode. Now obviously one would think that the lighter mode would signify less fuel performance but I dont see that. My gas mileage doesnt seem to increase or decrease and the different shades of blue appear to have no meaning as I've been topping 80mph and still had a dark blue dash color.

Any ideas? Aesthetics maybe?
Hi,

The different shades of blue will change with your driving conditions, when your driving eco it will be a bark blue and gradually fade away as you drive more aggressively.
You can still drive eco at 80 mph if you keep your foot steady on the gas peddle.
Its more of the way you are driving, accelerating, than your actual speed.
Old 08-16-12, 09:04 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Yep. Red does not change. I almost started a thread about this same thing a couple weeks ago when I noticed that the blue changed while driving.
Old 08-16-12, 09:42 AM
Squirrelsb
Rookie

Interesting and thanks for the response. Do you guys notice a significant different in gas mileage when running on the Red (Sport, Sport+) mode over the blue? I dont seem to notice any significant diff between dark, light blue and black.
Old 08-16-12, 10:05 AM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirrelsb
Interesting and thanks for the response. Do you guys notice a significant different in gas mileage when running on the Red (Sport, Sport+) mode over the blue? I dont seem to notice any significant diff between dark, light blue and black.
You can still drive economically even in sports + mode.
I have the hybrid version and I can still drive with just the batteries in sports + mode.
I think the difference between all the modes is just how quickly the car responds, and drives especially in sports + mode with rear wheel steer.
I don’t think there would be any difference in fuel consumption if you floor it in eco or sports+ mode.
Old 08-16-12, 10:32 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The blue lighting intensity is inversely related to the amount of throttle application. It's a rather primitive meter as it doesn't account for engine load increases, such as when you need to apply additional throttle to maintain your velocity up an incline.

The "Eco" meter which can be displayed in the center display of the instrument panel works based on the throttle position as well. The blue meter represents a maximum-limited graph (e.g. minimum 0% to maximum 10%) showing the throttle percentage. Once you exceed a certain percentage, the meter maxes out and the indicator blinks.

I find both indicators to be nearly useless since they both will dim-out or max-out in typical steady-state driving in this region. I think there is plenty of data being recorded by the OBD II system which could make these more "intelligent".
Old 08-16-12, 03:35 PM
maxwebr
Driver

well doesn't matter much to me. I run in Sport mode most of the time.
Old 08-16-12, 03:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
The blue lighting intensity is inversely related to the amount of throttle application. It's a rather primitive meter as it doesn't account for engine load increases, such as when you need to apply additional throttle to maintain your velocity up an incline.

The "Eco" meter which can be displayed in the center display of the instrument panel works based on the throttle position as well. The blue meter represents a maximum-limited graph (e.g. minimum 0% to maximum 10%) showing the throttle percentage. Once you exceed a certain percentage, the meter maxes out and the indicator blinks.

I find both indicators to be nearly useless since they both will dim-out or max-out in typical steady-state driving in this region. I think there is plenty of data being recorded by the OBD II system which could make these more "intelligent".
there is nothing unintelligent about them, they show you when you spend more fuel basically, which is obviously tied into your throttle application... so if you tried to stay in eco mode, you would spend less fuel.
Old 08-16-12, 04:14 PM
OH2013GS
Driver School Candidate

As he said, the different shades of blue to black tell you how much you're hitting the gas. When its black its basically telling that you you're burning more gas.

I agree that I don't find much use for the the ECO meter. I'd rather use the meter showing me how many mpg I'm getting at the current time.

And I seem to agree that I don't find that much different when I put the car into sport mode. Just today I just felt the need to punch it in Sport mode and it didn't really bring down the mpg.
Old 08-20-12, 03:59 PM
lexus250
Pole Position

My dash color dosent change to Red when in Sport anyone know why?
Old 08-20-12, 05:33 PM
Allb18c
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexus250
My dash color dosent change to Red when in Sport anyone know why?
I think you may have played with the settings. Set it back to default and you should be good to go.
Old 08-22-12, 03:33 AM
rlj4246
Pole Position

Lexus could have used the money used to develop and install the fading light gadget for much more useful things like power trunk pull down or folding mirrors which would be more desirable, at least to me.
Old 08-22-12, 07:23 PM
LGSFS2012
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj4246
Lexus could have used the money used to develop and install the fading light gadget for much more useful things like power trunk pull down or folding mirrors which would be more desirable, at least to me.
Folding mirrors would have been GREAT!!
Old 08-22-12, 08:19 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LGSFS2012
Folding mirrors would have been GREAT!!
Agreed. The colors are just unecessary "fluff". I can read the Average Miles Per Gallon or the MPG since fill up. It won't change my driving habits anyway.
Old 08-23-12, 03:38 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

That's why I turned off the blue light. I kept the red because it look cool.

Quick Reply: Colors on the GS dash