GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

a built-in car cam - future option request for Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-12, 09:13 AM
codraw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a built-in car cam - future option request for Lexus

I've been searching for a wireless car cam for my 4GS to no avail, they are either required to tear down your interior to hide the wire or they are just hung there along the centre dash. I've dismissed the idea frustratedly.

It'd be great and I don't see why not, that Lexus some time in the future would introduce a built-in car cam at the rear view mirror for the front and also integrate one at the back with backup cam for the back.

your thoughts?
Old 08-05-12, 01:17 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by codraw
I've been searching for a wireless car cam for my 4GS to no avail, they are either required to tear down your interior to hide the wire or they are just hung there along the centre dash. I've dismissed the idea frustratedly.

It'd be great and I don't see why not, that Lexus some time in the future would introduce a built-in car cam at the rear view mirror for the front and also integrate one at the back with backup cam for the back.

your thoughts?
If your idea is to replace the rear view mirror with a car cam, Federal Regulations and state laws require the mirror.
Old 08-05-12, 01:46 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

If you are talking about a dash cam, you don't necessarily have to tear down the interior to hide the wires. I just tuck my wires in along the windshield and down the side then under the passenger glove compartment and then into the cigarette lighter. It only has a little bit of wire showing where it connects to te cigarette lighter.
Old 08-05-12, 05:11 PM
User 121523
Pit Crew

I would love to have this feature integrated into the car. Any additional device, no matter how well you hide the wire, is still an external device that's not as well integrated (possibly uses up one of the cigarette lighter plugs) and can be stolen (e.g. someone selling it on eBay or Craigslist, like a portable GPS unit).

All that's needed is a tiny camera behind the rear-view mirror and recording to an SD card accessible through the center console or glove compartment. A stand-alone device often cost < $100, so it shouldn't be that expensive to add to the car.
Old 08-06-12, 07:45 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,215 Likes on 633 Posts

What is the purpose of this? To record people driving your car while it is at the dealership?
Old 08-06-12, 07:54 AM
codraw
Driver

it's a car black box, protect you from any insurance fraud, no more hit and run...
Old 08-06-12, 08:27 AM
User 121523
Pit Crew

Examples:

It's very useful to record the actual situation should one be in an accident, especially if you're the one rear-ending the other party and you're not at fault. Without something like this, it's very hard to prove that the other party is at fault.
Old 08-06-12, 09:07 AM
codraw
Driver

thanks, Glaphmion, you really had me cardiac arrest! lol

yes, the technology is there, all Lexus need is to integrate it into existing system...this feature is much more useful than some been introduced.

I am gonna suggest Lexus, and if you agree with me, pls do so as well.
Old 08-06-12, 09:10 AM
User 121523
Pit Crew

I've been contacting their customer support for this once every few months for the last two years. If you find a more effective way to contact them, I'd love to know. I very much agree with you that this feature is much more useful than some of the ones recently introduced.
Old 04-05-13, 01:48 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That last video was brutal. In order to impliment this feature, lexus would have to utilize more memory. I'm not sure if there is any allocated for this type of service, they can use the external usb but then you encounter read/write issues with aftermarket drives. It's not going to happen, but gL.
Old 04-05-13, 01:55 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Maybe it is just me, but I am not going to spend my time worrying about something that will happen to a very small percent of the population. Life is too short to record every second I drive in case someone decides to hit me on purpose.

You can't worry about every single thing that could possibly ever happen IMHO.
Old 04-05-13, 02:21 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
Maybe it is just me, but I am not going to spend my time worrying about something that will happen to a very small percent of the population. Life is too short to record every second I drive in case someone decides to hit me on purpose.

You can't worry about every single thing that could possibly ever happen IMHO.
I agree with you. However, the camera is non-intrusive...it just sits there and works automatically. You don't need to think about it once installed.

However, it this ever happens, it would suk to not have something in recording.

someone backs up to u on purpose.

and the best part, you can share your road trip with friends videso of sunset/morning drives in the spring would be awesome too.
Old 04-05-13, 02:25 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I doubt it would happen anytime soon. May be another decade if you would expect something like this from Lexus. This will also involve political & privacy opinions.

An add on kit that tapping to rear backup camera and use the camera as rear dash cam would be ideal.

Aftermarket rear view mirror with dash cam built in would yield best OEM look, so far none quality one.
Old 04-05-13, 02:30 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

I like the last one
Old 04-05-13, 03:22 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
I like the last one
yeah, me too. punks jump up to get beat down