GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Small diameter dents in Aluminum Trim Driver's Side F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 10:16 AM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Small diameter dents in Aluminum Trim Driver's Side F-Sport

Anyone notice this on their F Sport? Small dent's like the size of a sheet rock nail head in the driver's door aluminum trim. Not very noticable unless you look at it from the side with the door open.

At first I thought it must be my detailer, but he assures me they don't use any tools or devices that can cause these dents. I get it hand washed by the same group every week.

I checked the seatbelt buckle but it does not appear there is any way it can cause this problem either when taking it off, or closing the door, etc.

One possibility that we discussed is that I may be unaware that I hit my watch on the door trim when putting on my seatbelt. I wear very expensive watches and am very cognisant about hitting my watch on any surface. That is, I've learned to be very careful about accidently hitting my watch and am well aware if it ever happens. That's why I find it hard to believe this could be the cause, but I can't think of any other possbility. The only other time I left my car with anyone else is when I took it to the dealer on two occasions. I'm at a total loss.

Anyone else have this problem or care to speculate as to it's cause? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Old 08-01-12, 02:30 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Hrm, can you elaborate on " I wear very expensive watches"

What brand?
How much are these watches?
Old 08-01-12, 02:36 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by faifai83

What brand?
that's a loaded question.
Old 08-01-12, 03:00 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also noticed that too when I first got my car in March! I wanted to see if it can be replaced because I for sure did not induced those 1-2 tiny dents on my aluminum trim on the driver's side door.
Old 08-01-12, 03:15 PM
mikec78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem when I bought mine also...the aluminum is nice but it can dent. I can barely notice mine and the dealer told me it was probably from someones watch hitting the door also...
Old 08-01-12, 03:28 PM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Originally Posted by faifai83

What brand?
Very expensive Timex watches.

Just kidding . But they are large watches like Panerai and Brightling, so I suppose it's possible that I may have hit the door lightly without noticing. However, if this is the case, I think it's a design defect. Clearly, this should not happen so easily. I'm saying that if I indeed did hit the door they must have been extreamly light hits for me not to notice.

Should this be reported to Lexus as a design defect?
Old 08-01-12, 08:45 PM
crzyis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its from the seat belt! I noticed a few on mine as well and realized that sometimes while i'm in a rush and take off the seat belt quickly the metal part goes flying and hits the trim. So i now have to be more careful when taking off my seat belt.

I believe the replacement part is about $150.
Old 08-02-12, 07:39 AM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

I dont think thats going to fly, clearly its outside influence on you hitting your watch on that. Almost like saying a car door shouldnt ding/ scratch my exterior because its metal. Good luck on what you decide to do.
Old 08-02-12, 07:57 AM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Originally Posted by Ay-nako
I dont think thats going to fly, clearly its outside influence on you hitting your watch on that. Almost like saying a car door shouldnt ding/ scratch my exterior because its metal. Good luck on what you decide to do.
Youre right and I agree with you. But my point was that - if the watch was the cause, then I know it was done like a tap without any force, otherwise I would have noticed. Therefore, perhaps the trim was simply too soft for its intended purpose.

In any case, I believe the last post from Crzyis is likely correct. It makes sense given the amount of force possible from the seatbelt retractor. I'm going to be very careful from now on, but if this is the case, I'll bet a lot of other F-Sport owners will experience the same problem.
Old 08-02-12, 08:01 AM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

One last point. Does anyone know if if possible to adjust the seatbelt belt mechanism to retract with less force? Any ideas for a fix? It seems wrong to have to pay $150 to replace the trim each time ...
Old 08-02-12, 08:28 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by crzyis
Its from the seat belt! I noticed a few on mine as well and realized that sometimes while i'm in a rush and take off the seat belt quickly the metal part goes flying and hits the trim. So i now have to be more careful when taking off my seat belt.

I believe the replacement part is about $150.

This sound pretty spot on, and makes perfect sense..!!

I own an IS-F... I never let go of the seatbelt (with my left hand) until its close to the B-pillar..

I too have seen the very small dents on "mikec78" F-Sport..

~ Joe Z
Old 08-02-12, 08:30 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by LexusGSFGO
One last point. Does anyone know if if possible to adjust the seatbelt belt mechanism to retract with less force? Any ideas for a fix? It seems wrong to have to pay $150 to replace the trim each time ...
Yes, HOLD the belt / buckle with your left hand as it retracts back...

~ Joe Z
Old 08-02-12, 01:31 PM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Yes, HOLD the belt / buckle with your left hand as it retracts back...

~ Joe Z
Now that I know about it, I will definately try and make it a habbit from now on. I just wish I knew about it before the damage was done. I still think I should be able to get it replaced under warranty since it was due to what I believe is normal use and certainly not abuse in any way. Do you agree?
Old 08-04-12, 08:16 AM
GSfsport
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree you have to hold the seatbelt as it retract. i accidently let it retract on it own and it left a dent that i stare at every time im in the car.
Old 08-04-12, 08:19 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I checked my car.. and practiced getting in and out a few times. Not sure how you guys are doing this. My seat belt buckle stays low and is never high enough to hit the aluminum trim. Sorry to hear about the dents though, I know it'd bother me on my baby..

Quick Reply: Small diameter dents in Aluminum Trim Driver's Side F-Sport