GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sunroof clunk/rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-17, 07:20 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Sunroof clunk/rattle

(preface) I've seen the TSB for 2013s sunroof tick/clunk....not for 2015.

Anyone ever have that issue. Search revealed nothing. I've definitely got a clunky-clicky thing happening over seemingly insignificant bumps. Open the sunroof (either up or back) and it disappears...

Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order...

Sal
Old 09-20-17, 08:57 AM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

You may want to read this thread (kind of long) --> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-for-free.html

For the most part, most of us replaced the sunroof seal as it was only a 40-50 dollar item.
Old 09-20-17, 09:13 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by viperr
You may want to read this thread (kind of long) --> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-for-free.html

For the most part, most of us replaced the sunroof seal as it was only a 40-50 dollar item.
I bought a new seal and replaced it myself. Terrible clunking and wind noise is gone!
Old 09-20-17, 09:17 AM
J1234c
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer won't help. I have the same issue, and show them the TSB. They told me the TSB is for 2013 only, no parts for other years. They just apply some synthetic sealant on the sunroof and said that's all they can do.
Old 09-20-17, 10:15 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

Can I have that part please, I also have a 15 and noticing I'm always closing the roof panel to hide the wind noise at highway speeds.
Thanks
Old 09-20-17, 11:11 AM
Evilken
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I just registered for this site TODAY as I finally figured out the rattling going over small bumps was from the moonroof. For the longest time I thought it was something further back in the car, this morning's drive, tiled the moonroof up and the rattling disappeared. I now have an appointment with my dealer to have it looked at tomorrow.
Old 09-20-17, 12:50 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

I’ll give my dealer a shot first. I have no issues working the seal, if that is what it is. I don’t have a wind noise problem. Just clunking.
Old 09-20-17, 01:19 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Interesting. I haven't seen many of these complaints on the 15s, whereas they seemed more common on the earlier years.

Luckily I haven't experienced any rattling/clunking or wind noise on mine thus far. Mine is a '15 at 13k miles.

Let us know what your dealer says, MustangSal.
Old 09-20-17, 02:18 PM
ashinn
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I also have the clunking issue on my '15. Please keep us updated MustangSal. I'll give try replacing the sunroof seal one of these weekends...
Old 09-20-17, 05:56 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I had the sunroof clunking noise repaired by my dealer. Mine is a 2014 CPO and i am not sure if the dealer fixed it under warranty or if it was good will. I know they replaced the cables.
Old 09-20-17, 08:33 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomin
Can I have that part please, I also have a 15 and noticing I'm always closing the roof panel to hide the wind noise at highway speeds.
Thanks
Part number for the seal is 63251-3010 which was mentioned in the thread I referenced before here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-for-free.html

From the referenced thread, most of us ordered the seal below as some toyota models may share the same part.
https://www.oemgenuineparts.com/oem-...PWxheWVyXzI%3D

Also from the referenced thread, the last few pages has some useful tips/info on how to install it (either with removing the glass or tilting it a certain way without removing the glass).

Lastly from the referenced thread, it also has other members (including me) documenting their experience with dealers who have replaced them and considered it as warranty item and dealers that did not consider them as a warranty item.
The following users liked this post:
Boomin (09-20-17)
Old 09-21-17, 07:36 AM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I just can't believe Lexus hasn't corrected the sunroof issues it's been going on sense 2013. I have a 2007 Infiniti M37 that I drive in the winter zero sunroof issues. I'm sure there's people that will have to pay out of pocket to fix this issue that shouldn't be after three years of knowing about it.
Old 09-21-17, 08:32 AM
atrac7
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even on the 2013, dealership wasn't helpful . I live in Dallas and took it to Sewell while my car was under warranty (within 4 years, less than 50k miles on the car). They said they could not "replicate it". I told them that i was not imagining this, and that a TSB exists on this car for a reason on the issue. They stated that just because there is a TSB does not mean they are obligated to repair anything until they replace it. To this day, i know i am hearing a "clunking" noise over small bumps/imperfections. Feels like it's towards the rear/trunk area, but when i open/tilt the sunroof, my symptoms are also alleviated. I sometimes wonder if i have any recourse, but i fear they will say "well now your car is out of warranty".

Very disappointed with Lexus on this front, because quite frankly my previous Acura TL that was about $15k less than this car drove like a vault over bumps. Definitely cheapens the driven experience.
Old 09-21-17, 09:17 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Ehh...no car is totally impervious to the elements. Eventual wear and tear is what it is. We will see what my dealer says. I’m not imagining it either. So far my dealer has been great about anything I’ve had her there for.

More to follow.
Old 09-21-17, 12:48 PM
ashinn
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by atrac7
Even on the 2013, dealership wasn't helpful . I live in Dallas and took it to Sewell while my car was under warranty (within 4 years, less than 50k miles on the car). They said they could not "replicate it". I told them that i was not imagining this, and that a TSB exists on this car for a reason on the issue. They stated that just because there is a TSB does not mean they are obligated to repair anything until they replace it. To this day, i know i am hearing a "clunking" noise over small bumps/imperfections. Feels like it's towards the rear/trunk area, but when i open/tilt the sunroof, my symptoms are also alleviated. I sometimes wonder if i have any recourse, but i fear they will say "well now your car is out of warranty".

Very disappointed with Lexus on this front, because quite frankly my previous Acura TL that was about $15k less than this car drove like a vault over bumps. Definitely cheapens the driven experience.
Replacing the weather strip will fix the rattling as others have stated, but the clunking may be coming from the sliding shade cover. Crossing my fingers that the DIY weather strip repair will fix the clunking noise too.

Quick Reply: Sunroof clunk/rattle