GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Oil Change/ Rotate and tire balance question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-12, 01:24 PM
db3434
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change/ Rotate and tire balance question

I know the oil change is every 10 thousand miles with the synthetic oil that is used, but wondering if they tires should still be rotated and balanced every 3 thousand miles. Anyone know?
Old 06-27-12, 01:47 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,059 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by db3434
I know the oil change is every 10 thousand miles with the synthetic oil that is used, but wondering if they tires should still be rotated and balanced every 3 thousand miles. Anyone know?
I say every 5K miles would be more practical...

~ Joe Z
Old 06-27-12, 01:55 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I say every 5K miles would be more practical...

~ Joe Z
I second that!
Old 06-27-12, 02:10 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't rotate my tires. I leave them where they are as I have experience when one bad tire goes from rear to front, (steering vibration or vice versa) and I get funny handling feel after I keep rotating as the tires are trying to get used to their new position and when they get more worn they get worse. Reason why Audi and BMW don't recommend doing it nor do it for servicing. I have stop rotating but just routinely balancing my tires for the life of the tires on all 4 of our cars for more than 6 years and the tires have worn out much evenly and have lasted very long time (plus 45k miles on average).
Old 06-27-12, 02:49 PM
db3434
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All 4 tires last you 45k miles? Does anyone know how long the sticker says the tires should last for? It seems like not rotating them isn't a good idea. Anyone else do without rotating?
Old 06-27-12, 03:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

i don't rotate my tires anymore either. if you have good alignment and wheels balanced, i personally don't see the need of tire rotation. both sides should wear out evenly together, and then i just replace both front or both rear together.

not to mention if you have fsport, then you can't rotate wheels front and rear. what tires do they use on the gs? if it's directional tires then it put more limitations on rotations too. that's why overall i feel too much pain with rotation

how many miles you last on your tires vary on your driving habit. on high performance tires on the gs and is, i have seen ppl wearing them out in 15k miles. and then some last longer
Old 06-27-12, 03:33 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't rotate my tires anymore either. if you have good alignment and wheels balanced, i personally don't see the need of tire rotation. both sides should wear out evenly together, and then i just replace both front or both rear together.

not to mention if you have fsport, then you can't rotate wheels front and rear. what tires do they use on the gs? if it's directional tires then it put more limitations on rotations too. that's why overall i feel too much pain with rotation

how many miles you last on your tires vary on your driving habit. on high performance tires on the gs and is, i have seen ppl wearing them out in 15k miles. and then some last longer
Rotating worked great on my IS300.. Also, currently works great on my Honda CRV..

It DOES prolong the use of the tires and it does help wearing them out evenly...

On MY IS-F, I recently pushed 32K miles out of my 19" tires.. No Rotating Allowed..

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 06-27-12 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-27-12, 03:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i guess part of me just can't understand how it prolong the use.

let's just say rotating tires and you get 30k miles out of 4 tires. without rotating, maybe you get 20k in the rear but 40k in the front, so the overall avg is still the same. tire wear is just a function of usage / friction with the road?

i can understand the part about wearing evenly though. but then again, for most daily driving, it's not going to make much difference on traction / handling
Old 06-27-12, 03:43 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by db3434
All 4 tires last you 45k miles? Does anyone know how long the sticker says the tires should last for? It seems like not rotating them isn't a good idea. Anyone else do without rotating?
I never rotate them unless I see some abnormal wear. I keep the best tires on the front, so if the front wears quicker, I will rotate them, front to back. When my car was new there was a sticker on the windshield that warned me that tire life could be LESS than 15,000 miles. I have Dunlop Summer Tires on my car. I hope to get a lot more life out of them than that.
Old 06-27-12, 04:23 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you rotate tires, the tires will wear faster as the tire will have to wear to the new position as the front and rears have different toes and camber specs so its no point doing this to your tire. I got 55k out of my Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires on my 18 inch spec rims on the 2006 GS and I get more than 45k on ultra high performance all season tires on the Audi and BMW so thats VERY good.
Old 06-27-12, 04:40 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

i guess part of me just can't understand how it prolong the use.

let's just say rotating tires and you get 30k miles out of 4 tires. without rotating, maybe you get 20k in the rear but 40k in the front, so the overall avg is still the same. tire wear is just a function of usage / friction with the road?

i can understand the part about wearing evenly though. but then again, for most daily driving, it's not going to make much difference on traction / handling
Cars / Light SUV's are usually heaver in the Front.. So for example, if I didn't ever rotate the tries on my CRV..

I would be dealing with 2 tires fully worn in the front vs 2 half used tires in the rear.. After X thousands of miles

Which means I would need to by Two tires at a time...
Rotating them allows the tires to wear evenly, which "prolongs" the use of ALL 4 tires..

Plus, I like buying 4 tires at a time.. Not just two...

Here is a good "Tire Tech" explanation link from

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 06-27-12 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-27-12, 05:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Plus, I like buying 4 tires at a time.. Not just two...
i think that's the key. if buying 2 tires at a time when worn out, still can't imagine how that will end up buying more tires
Old 06-27-12, 09:15 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

i think that's the key. if buying 2 tires at a time when worn out, still can't imagine how that will end up buying more tires
Did you read the entire link....??

It is an advantage when all four tires wear together because as wear reduces a tire’s tread depth, it allows all four tires to respond to the driver’s input more quickly, maintains the handling and helps increase the tire’s cornering traction.

When your tires wear out together, you can get a new set of tires without being forced to buy pairs. If you replace tires in sets of four, you will maintain the original handling balance. In addition, our suppliers constantly introduce new tires, each of which improves upon their past product’s performance. If you replace your tires in sets of four, it allows you to experience today’s technology, instead of being forced to match yesterday’s.
Old 06-27-12, 09:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i did. but i guess you didn't read the part where i said for most of daily driving, uneven wear front and rear isn't going to make much of a difference? (post #8, before you posted your link )

4 tires with even wear provide optimal performance and handling, i agree. but that's just on paper. in reality, when most people don't come close to driving their car at the limit, meaning not close to putting the tires to 100% traction, what's the big deal?
Old 06-27-12, 09:23 PM
HizGSF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I correct to say that for F Sport models the tire rotations will be front to front and rear to rear since the wheel and tire size are different.

Quick Reply: Oil Change/ Rotate and tire balance question