GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-Sport Side View Mirror Reflection(s) - Aluminum Trim Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 06:24 AM
GVVTS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A representative from Lexus is meeting with me tomorrow (7/11/2012) to discuss the concern and drive with me in an F-Sport to observe the issue. I met with different representatives from Lexus (US and Japan) yesterday where I brought up the issue. The US rep had heard of the concern from California dealerships.
Old 07-10-12, 07:50 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GVVTS
A representative from Lexus is meeting with me tomorrow (7/11/2012) to discuss the concern and drive with me in an F-Sport to observe the issue. I met with different representatives from Lexus (US and Japan) yesterday where I brought up the issue. The US rep had heard of the concern from California dealerships.
Thanks, we appreciate you working on this on our behalf. I'm in Canada and experience the same issue (I guess the sun is the same here as in the US). I haven't brought it up with my dealership yet as I'm pushing them on my 'bird poo haze' issues.

Hopefully you'll have an update/resolution and then I can follow up with my dealership.

M
Old 07-10-12, 09:21 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by LexusGSFGO
Wow, I think the darker tint actually makes it worse. I wonder if a potential fix would be to use some sort of non-glare screen protector like they use for iPhones and iPads, placed strategicly on the inside of the side window.
I would say that would be too large of a Temp. fix...

As I mentioned earlier, the trim could be covered with a Matte Clear Film.. Therefore frosting the finish and making it Matte...

As seen here:

I'm almost sure Lexus will be testing various finishes of the Striated Aluminum Trim, to come up with an improved version of it..
(non glossy / non reflective)

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-10-12 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-10-12, 10:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I would say that would be too large of a Temp. fix...

As I mentioned earlier, the trim could be covered with a Matte Clear Film.. Therefore frosting the finish and making it Matte...

I'm almost sure Lexus will be testing various finishes of the Striated Aluminum Trim, to come up with an improved version of it..
(non glossy / non reflective)

~ Joe Z
yes. when fixing a problem, fix the source, not other places

joe is the man again (but hey, didn't i suggest that too? )
Old 07-10-12, 01:18 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rominl
yes. when fixing a problem, fix the source, not other places

joe is the man again (but hey, didn't i suggest that too? )

Not really.. I suggested it in post# 13 LoL

It will look something like this... The Striated Aluminum is a lot smoother than you think...

~ Joe Z
Old 07-10-12, 01:20 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same glare on my CT200 SE F Sport. Just looking around here in the GS forum since I went from a GS400 to my little CT. Just checking out the new GS ...... may have to have both.
Old 07-10-12, 01:47 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

BSM = Blind spot monitor.
Old 07-10-12, 01:56 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by jtrue28
BSM = Blind spot monitor.
Yes of course it is...

Those photos were snagged from the now year old "4GS MEGA THREAD - GS350 Prototype Thread"

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-10-12 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-10-12, 02:09 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i might be wrong, but i think it's the placement of the side mirrors. i think that whatever the fix, the trim is (non glossy etc.) still going to show in those mirrors. didn't they move the mirrors and put them on the doors for the 2013 GS? did the 2011 or 10 or 09 have the same problem? weren't the mirrors on earlier models on the black trim in that corner that meets the door?

Last edited by sydtoosic; 07-10-12 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-10-12, 03:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i might be wrong, but i think it's the placement of the side mirrors. i think that whatever the fix, the trim is (non glossy etc.) still going to show in those mirrors. didn't they move the mirrors and put them on the doors for the 2013 GS? did the 2011 or 10 or 09 have the same problem? weren't the mirrors on earlier models on the black trim in that corner that meets the door?
like i mentioned, you actually see reflection on all cars. even my s550 or my lexus, when i look closely, i can see the reflection of the interior dash, the wood trim, etc... in the mirror. but the key is they are not too reflective (and shiny), thus not creating the kind of scenario as shown in pictures above
Old 07-10-12, 03:11 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
like i mentioned, you actually see reflection on all cars. even my s550 or my lexus, when i look closely, i can see the reflection of the interior dash, the wood trim, etc... in the mirror. but the key is they are not too reflective (and shiny), thus not creating the kind of scenario as shown in pictures above
gotcha.
Old 07-10-12, 07:40 PM
rockyman
Rookie

I hope it doesn't take a bad accident and insurance companies to get a change.

Why don't they replace sideview mirrors with sideview cameras and put the video monitors in side the car? Much sleeker!
Old 07-12-12, 06:00 AM
GVVTS
Rookie

The Lexus rep didn't make it back yesterday. At least we know that the concern has been brought to his attention from two different regions now.
While prepairing vehicles for him to drive I noticed the car with window tint wasn't nearly as bad as the car without tint. I'll try to find out which tint we use.
Old 07-12-12, 06:07 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GVVTS
The Lexus rep didn't make it back yesterday. At least we know that the concern has been brought to his attention from two different regions now.
While prepairing vehicles for him to drive I noticed the car with window tint wasn't nearly as bad as the car without tint. I'll try to find out which tint we use.
i had tint on a SP F- Sport. and there was no difference. i have no tint now and it's the same. so i've had both variations,,, tint/no tint. now what??? and i'm also not surprised that the lexus rep did not return yesterday.
Old 07-12-12, 08:29 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rockyman
Why don't they replace sideview mirrors with sideview cameras and put the video monitors in side the car? Much sleeker!
Federal regulations require mirrors on all new vehicles.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Side View Mirror Reflection(s) - Aluminum Trim Discussion