GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Official Worlds 1st: USDM 2013 GS350 F-Sport w/JDM Fog Lamps Installed, Video Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-14, 02:41 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just gave up - it is at the dealer now to finish it off.

I did use the TRS CB LED fogs and they are amazing looking - although the yellows in the OP thread look kind of cool.

I think if I was going to do retro yellow fogs, I'd want to go all the way and start doing something similar to the Speedhunters FR-S with a very retro theme and pinstriping (the best part being those hood mounted side mirrors):

Old 11-17-14, 01:07 AM
WalterW
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you used the Nigel's relay harness I believe it's driven on positive trigger.

Please snap a pic of the relay connector and maybe a hand drawn diagram?

The oem fog light indicator does work but have to splice into the bcm. I think my hand drawn diagram is still on my profile.sorry it's been almost two years since I installed my setup.

Originally Posted by tknx
Okay - so I did the entire damn install and couldn't get the stalk to work. I used the Nigel-JDM kit.

The one thing that the Nigel kit sucks at, is that the wiring harness includes a panel switch, so if you are using the stalk, you need to redo the wiring to fit in the existing Lexus harness - and there are no directions.

In the stalk wiring harness - the fog lights add three pins in the top row in the 2, 3, and 4 spot. My understanding is that ground goes to the position 3. And the wire to the relay goes to position 2. That didn't work no matter what we did. Does the car have to be on? Headlights?

Also does the dash fog light indicator work?
Old 11-18-14, 03:12 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Okay, even the dealer mechanic just gave up. This is sort of ridiculous at this point. Going to go try Exact Motorsports.

So basically I ran a battery and ground to the fog lights using the Nigel kit. Ran the switch which has a relay into the steering column, cut off the switch harness and connected the relay (yellow and black wires) into what you have marked as 10 and 11. If I ran a line from the yellow to the battery directly, it would trip the relay and the lights would come on. If I stuck them in the stalk, nothing.

Tried a couple of variations, but no luck.

Sorry, I don't really know circuits that well.

Last edited by tknx; 11-18-14 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-19-14, 09:12 AM
WalterW
10th Gear

Maybe the two tiny wires going into the switch connector didn't make it to the metal pins of the switch(bad contact)

Can you confirm continuity of the Nigel fog switch fucntion?

Okay, even the dealer mechanic just gave up. This is sort of ridiculous at this point. Going to go try Exact Motorsports.

So basically I ran a battery and ground to the fog lights using the Nigel kit. Ran the switch which has a relay into the steering column, cut off the switch harness and connected the relay (yellow and black wires) into what you have marked as 10 and 11. If I ran a line from the yellow to the battery directly, it would trip the relay and the lights would come on. If I stuck them in the stalk, nothing.

Old 11-19-14, 11:27 PM
WalterW
10th Gear

Maybe easier way is to just use the two wires you ran to the switch and just short them together first to test just to verify the ran wires are good.

No offense,dealer techs are great but don't like working with aftermarket components .

Old 11-20-14, 04:13 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Yeah, I can make the fogs light up no problem.

Dealer decided they didn't want to do it because of the aftermarket nature of it. Annoying since they kept my car an extra day, but no big deal. Going to talk to the guy who did my stereo and other stuff in my other car next Tuesday.
Old 11-20-14, 05:26 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Yep, take it to a high end stereo shop. They'll get you hooked up in no time.
Old 11-21-14, 08:30 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Okay solved most of it - I had accidentally messed up the wire harness and it just wasn't getting a connection. So it pretty much is 10 and 11. The relay does need to be reversed from its initial setting from Nigel.

The only part I am still uncertain of is getting the dash light to work. Need to figure out exactly the wiring for this.

Last edited by tknx; 11-22-14 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-22-14, 10:13 PM
tknx
Pole Position

So a couple of problems

Right now, the setup is as follows:
Wiring is done from the battery to a negative relay that feeds to the stalk.

1. Lights stay on
The fogs work with the stalk, so that is great. They will turn on any time the stalk is set to the on position. I'd rather they turned off when the headlights turn off which is a little while after the car is turned off

2. Cluster light
I read your posts on this, and looked at this pics you uploaded. Still unclear on how to get the cluster light to work with this setup - would you mind expanding on this?

Otherwise it isn't too bad of an upgrade. The aesthetics are okay, but I might move to a Mercedes L-shaped LED type setup mounted on my old shroud eventually.
Old 01-20-15, 03:15 PM
SanDeezy
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking into converting my fog lamps. Has anyone with a 2013 GS350 converted their standard fog lamps to the new LED or Projector version. If you could also post up pics showing the difference between the old and new version would be great, TY!
Old 03-25-15, 04:03 AM
Jkenny
Rookie

Anyone ever get the cluster light to come on when the fogs are on? Whats involved? Thanks
Old 03-25-15, 09:51 AM
HDEddie1
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Toggle Switch instead of Stalk Mounted Fog Switch?

Thanks all for this fine thread on the Fog Light upgrade.
Just curious...no matter which kit (JDM or aftermarket), would there be any problem hooking up the fog lights to a conventional toggle switch instead of converting the stalk mount for fog lights?

My car's dash has an empty spot that just might take a fog toggle switch (and look kind of cool and functional) but I don't know if that will cause any hook up problems electrical harness that comes with the kit is designed to be integrated with the light stalk on the steering column.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Official Worlds 1st: USDM 2013 GS350 F-Sport w/JDM Fog Lamps Installed, Video Inside!-img_1356.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-15, 02:44 AM
Jkenny
Rookie

Originally Posted by HDEddie1
Thanks all for this fine thread on the Fog Light upgrade.
Just curious...no matter which kit (JDM or aftermarket), would there be any problem hooking up the fog lights to a conventional toggle switch instead of converting the stalk mount for fog lights?

My car's dash has an empty spot that just might take a fog toggle switch (and look kind of cool and functional) but I don't know if that will cause any hook up problems electrical harness that comes with the kit is designed to be integrated with the light stalk on the steering column.
Thanks
In my research I found that was the way they were installed when the mod was first done, small toggle switch installed somewhere. If you do a search you will find it.
Old 05-26-15, 01:20 PM
tamermido1
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

It's quiet interesting how no one can figure how to get the cluster to work with the stalk? very annoying.
Old 06-01-15, 07:35 AM
WalterW
10th Gear

Originally Posted by tamermido1
It's quiet interesting how no one can figure how to get the cluster to work with the stalk? very annoying.
Please read my posting one plus year ago. If you're talking about the fog light indicator, mine works.

Quick Reply: Official Worlds 1st: USDM 2013 GS350 F-Sport w/JDM Fog Lamps Installed, Video Inside!