GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

config questions on avs, etc. and comment on adaptive cruise...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-12, 08:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts
Default config questions on avs, etc. and comment on adaptive cruise...

so on lexus config page, which isn't easy to follow, it shows 'avs' is included on f-sport and luxury package models. then it shows 'f-sport tuned avs' on the f-sport models. what's the difference? it says:

F SPORT-tuned Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) ... Engineered with lightweight aluminum components, it's specially tuned for even greater steering response and reduced body lean.

so is the f-sport avs really using different components than the luxury package avs?

on a different subject, i noticed when looking at a gs450h config, that the only way to get adaptive cruise is to get the top of the line package which is over $13K that seems crazy.

and for grins i see a fully loaded gs450h is over 74k
Old 06-16-12, 12:04 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so on lexus config page, which isn't easy to follow, it shows 'avs' is included on f-sport and luxury package models. then it shows 'f-sport tuned avs' on the f-sport models. what's the difference?

it says:

F SPORT-tuned Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) ... Engineered with lightweight aluminum components, it's specially tuned for even greater steering response and reduced body lean.

so is the f-sport avs really using different components than the luxury package avs?
I agree the website is confusing, the options section of the brochure is not far off.

AVS operates the same way for both F Sport & Luxury. The only difference between the two is the actual shock dampening on F Sport is stiffer than luxury. If I recall the spring rates are a tad stiffer on F Sport as well. Unlike previous AVS on the ES and GS (Comfort, Normal & Sport settings), Sport + mode controls AVS for both F Sport & Luxury. It's either stiff in Sport + or normal in all other modes.

on a different subject, i noticed when looking at a gs450h config, that the only way to get adaptive cruise is to get the top of the line package which is over $13K that seems crazy.

and for grins i see a fully loaded gs450h is over 74k
Yeah the top tier options are only available in the higher grade trim. It would be nice to option a regular GS 450h with adaptive radar cruise, but because its a rare and expensive option, they figure most people who have a base GS 450h will not opt for the top tier stuff. It's either all or none.
Old 06-16-12, 01:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

here's the little research i have done. i am just going to use RH (right hand) since LH is the same, and i am using rwd as example

in short, ALL 4gs (rwd) use the same springs on all corners. regular gs has their set of shocks with no dampening controls. BOTH fsport and luxury 4gs use the same shocks with dampening controls

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S350-2013.html
FRONT SPRING & SHOCK ABSORBER

48131 4813130C90
SPRING, FRONT COIL, RH (RWD, REAR WHEEL DRIVE)
- there is NO special springs for regular, luxury, or fsport. all the same

48510 4851080564
ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, FRONT RH (RWD, REAR WHEEL DRIVE)
- shock for regular 4gs, makes sense since no dampening adjustment

48510 4851080565
ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, FRONT RH MARK 48510-30B00,F-SPORT PACKAGE (RWD, REAR WHEEL DRIVE)
48510 4851080565
ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, FRONT RH MARK 48510-30B00,LUXURY PACKAGE (RWD, REAR WHEEL DRIVE)
- luxury and fsport package, both use the SAME shock part number with dampening adjustment

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S350-2013.html
REAR SPRING & SHOCK ABSORBER

48231A 4823130C80
SPRING, COIL, REAR RH (RWD, REAR WHEEL DRIVE)
- there is NO special springs for regular, luxury, or fsport. all the same

48530 4853080632
ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, REAR RH MARK 48530-30A70
- shock for regular 4gs, makes sense since no dampening adjustment

48530 4853080630
ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, REAR RH MARK 48530-30A60,F-SPORT PACKAGE (RWD, REAR WHEEL DRIVE)
48530 4853080630
ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, REAR RH MARK 48530-30A60,LUXURY PACKAGE
- luxury and fsport package, both use the SAME shock part number with dampening adjustment
Old 06-16-12, 01:26 AM
lexesty72
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F Sport should come with F Sport lowering spring...
Old 06-16-12, 06:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
in short, ALL 4gs (rwd) use the same springs on all corners.
Originally Posted by flipside909
If I recall the spring rates are a tad stiffer on F Sport as well.
so which is it guys?

BOTH fsport and luxury 4gs use the same shocks with dampening controls
Originally Posted by flipside909
AVS operates the same way for both F Sport & Luxury. The only difference between the two is the actual shock dampening on F Sport is stiffer than luxury.
perhaps it's just a software difference, that f-sport modes use the dampers a little more aggressively (stiffly) than luxury, but it's the same actual suspension components.
Old 06-16-12, 06:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

and one more... i don't think i saw the rear steer option anywhere on lexus' site? if it's there, is it available for the gs450h too?
Old 06-16-12, 06:59 AM
LexFather

Rear steer is only available with RWD F-sport
Old 06-16-12, 07:24 AM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

and one more... i don't think i saw the rear steer option anywhere on lexus' site? if it's there, is it available for the gs450h too?
rear steer is standard on my UK spec 450h f sport
Old 06-16-12, 08:04 AM
nantang
Driver

My GS450h has adaptive cruise but not the luxury package. It was bundled with the driver alertness monitor feature. My car came to a mere $66k.
Old 06-16-12, 08:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nantang
My GS450h has adaptive cruise but not the luxury package. It was bundled with the driver alertness monitor feature. My car came to a mere $66k.
then lexus' website config/options table is wrong - it shows it's only available with full boat package.
Old 06-16-12, 09:50 AM
nantang
Driver

I know it's available, because I used it driving to work today. I agreehave that the web site is a bit screwy, because it doesn't show option bundling. For example, it makes no mention that the heads up display on the 350 requires the Luxury package. (Or the F-Sport?) Even my Lexus dealer seemed confused as to what came with what.
Old 06-16-12, 11:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

so which is it guys?

perhaps it's just a software difference, that f-sport modes use the dampers a little more aggressively (stiffly) than luxury, but it's the same actual suspension components.
part numbers don't lie.

and personally i doubt very much if the dampenings are different, again because of the same parts. i doubt it's like aftermarket coilovers where you got 16 clicks or so. it's probably just two settings, one or another.
Old 06-16-12, 02:57 PM
nantang
Driver

That implies that a non-F-Sport could be given the same handling fairly easily with minimal expense, provided it had Sport +.
Old 06-16-12, 04:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

then lexus' website config/options table is wrong - it shows it's only available with full boat package.
as usual, it shows options based on your zip code and not every area does it the same...
Old 06-16-12, 04:53 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow F-Sport Suspension 101

_

Here is an action video that illustrates the entire new LDH System in motion...

Originally Posted by Lexus Global

The 2013 GS offers the Lexus Dynamic Handling system, an integrated four-wheel steering system. The leading edge platform technology of the Lexus Dynamic Handling system offers Lexus' first integration of Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS); Dynamic Rear Steering (DRS); Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS); and the latest generation of Lexus' unique Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system to help coordinate every aspect of front and rear wheel control and provide agile, sharp and confident driving behavior wîth a more direct response to the driver's actions.

Dynamic Rear Steering (DRS) works in tandem with the electric power steering to turn the rear wheels up 1.5 degrees to boost stability at speed (by turning them with the front wheels above 50 mph) or to reduce the turning radius (by turning them against the fronts below 50 mph).

More "Rear Steer" ....

Originally Posted by Lexus USA

F SPORT SUSPENSION AND LEXUS DYNAMIC HANDLING

Taking the performance benefits of the all-new platform on the GS to the next level, the GS F SPORT includes multiple unique systems. Among them, its Adaptive Variable Suspension features aluminum components with optimized bushings, thicker anti-roll bars and special F SPORT tuning for even greater steering response and reduced body lean.

Craving even more precise handling? Available Lexus Dynamic Handling coordinates Dynamic Rear Steering, Variable Gear-Ratio Steering and Electronic Power Steering to anticipate and help deliver the ideal handling behavior for virtually any situation.

In a nutshell the F-Sport Pkg RWD Suspension & Luxury Pkg RWD Suspension have the same hardware...
The F-Sport Model will deliver a "Sportier / Stiffer Drive" when driven in Sport+ Mode..

The below video defines all 4 Drive Mode Selections.

Enjoy,

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 06-16-12 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: config questions on avs, etc. and comment on adaptive cruise...