GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

lane change blinker

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 12:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by teezee1000
I never felt comfortable with the 3, either I was trying to make the change before it stop or clicking it again. I don't like to be cutoff and don't like to do it to the others. Also remember the lane change signal is to alert the drivers you are making the change not your permission to make the change. If you have to cross more than 2 lanes it also allows more time in case you have to change multiple lanes.
No one should ever make multiple lane changes in one fell swoop. It's dangerous, causes confusion and draws unneeded attention. They should make multiple lane changes in separate segments - signal and make one lane change and stay in that lane a brief period of time, then signal again and make the next lane change.

There's a reason the default lane change is 3 blinks...
Old 11-05-16, 12:51 PM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
No one should ever make multiple lane changes in one fell swoop. It's dangerous, causes confusion and draws unneeded attention. They should make multiple lane changes in separate segments - signal and make one lane change and stay in that lane a brief period of time, then signal again and make the next lane change.

There's a reason the default lane change is 3 blinks...
I dont codone multiple lane switches if its available and I need to, I will. Me and the OP agree that 5 is good and you dont. I guess thats why they are customizable.
Old 11-05-16, 01:11 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Five is perfect for me. Check blind-spot...all clear. Use blinker for lane change. One blink, two blink, I am now starting to move over during the third blink, fourth blink almost there, fifth blink is done and I'm just centered in the lane.
The following users liked this post:
Ironman50 (01-24-21)
Old 11-05-16, 01:37 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I dont codone multiple lane switches if its available and I need to, I will. Me and the OP agree that 5 is good and you dont. I guess thats why they are customizable.
Be careful out there! Only one lane change at a time...
Old 11-05-16, 04:20 PM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Be careful out there! Only one lane change at a time...
I just came from running errands and this situation just occurred on Preston Road, im sure you are familiar with it. Its a busy 3-4 lane route that runs north and south in the Dallas suburbs. I was on the far right lane and someone was on the far left lane. I was out in front of him by more than a car length and signaled to change to the middle lane, they wanted that lane as well too. I signaled and turned in, I noticed that they were about to turn about a half sec after I was and changed their mind (slight wheel swerve on their part) when they saw my blinker (5 blinks) If it was 3 he might have missed it and turned at the same time I did. Just a thought.
Old 11-05-16, 04:58 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I just came from running errands and this situation just occurred on Preston Road, im sure you are familiar with it. Its a busy 3-4 lane route that runs north and south in the Dallas suburbs. I was on the far right lane and someone was on the far left lane. I was out in front of him by more than a car length and signaled to change to the middle lane, they wanted that lane as well too. I signaled and turned in, I noticed that they were about to turn about a half sec after I was and changed their mind (slight wheel swerve on their part) when they saw my blinker (5 blinks) If it was 3 he might have missed it and turned at the same time I did. Just a thought.
Oh yes, I am very familiar with Preston Road... Those kinds of things you just experienced happen from time-to-time regardless of how careful drivers try to be. Glad it didn't result into anything more than a slightly elevated heart rate.

According to the Texas Transportation Code, an unsafe lane change is any activity that, by it’s undertaking, creates an unreasonable level of risk for the driving conditions. (This can be interpreted any way the officer wishes.) In practice, unsafe lane change citations typically involve a vehicle entering a lane already occupied in close proximity by another vehicle. (How close proximity is too close.) ►The most common causes of unsafe lane change tickets are drivers attempting to exit a freeway by crossing multiple lanes in rapid succession too close to the actual exit. (Again, how close is too close.) Another common cause involves cars entering a freeway or major thoroughfare, but not providing adequate room between their vehicle and vehicles already traveling in that lane (How much room is adequate.) - often causing the other vehicle to brake (Any braking at all, or heavy braking.) or swerve to avoid a potential collision.

As you can see, the officer makes the decision on whether he believes the lane change is safe, or not. However, as stated, the most common causes of unsafe lane changes are crossing multiple lanes. It definitely draws the attention of a lot of eyes, and if a traffic officer views it as being unsafe (for whatever reason he thinks fits the situation) you can be given a citation. Unsafe lane changes, depending on the circumstances involved, can quickly become reckless driving charges that carry far greater penalties.

All that said, I will often move directly to the center lane when getting onto Dallas North Tollway, President George Bush Turnpike or Sam Rayburn Tollway. But, I always make sure that no one is remotely close to me that would consider my driving problematic, and I do it smoothly with enough time so-as not to draw unfavorable attention..and I just leave my turn signal On until my car is 75% in the lane.

Bottom line is: whether using 3 blinks or 5 blinks or 7 blinks - not all lane changes work out perfectly for the same number of blinks each time. Some lane changes only need 3, others may need 5, still others may need 7...and some may need dozens and dozens before you're able to make the move.

Drive safely out there...

PS - I'm a big believer in constantly scanning all my mirrors and knowing where everybody around me is at all times.
Old 11-05-16, 07:08 PM
phins2rt
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Worked great! Thanks.
Old 11-06-16, 08:50 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

5 blinks is two blinks too many for me. The default of 3 is perfect - one or two blinks before making the move, and then a final blink or two during the move..and no blinks after the change is complete. If you are still blinking after the lane change is complete you are still signalling to those behind you that you are making yet another lane change, shift, turn or something. That's not good...and about as bad as following behind that [unaware] driver with his/her turn signal on and doesn't know it.

The last thing anyone should want is to still be blinking after you've already accomplished the lane change. A normal lane change should never take 5 blinks from initiation to finish. That is why default is set to 3. And, if you are in such heavy traffic that making a lane change does take a long time, then you are going to be using the full turning signal anyway...
5 is best for me. Hit it to signal you're changing lanes, then start changing lanes by the 3rd blink. I like to give those behind me warning that I'm changing lanes before I actually do so.
jessalynn (06-13-19)
Old 11-08-16, 12:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah 5 is the sweet spot for sure.
Originally Posted by DallasDave
Five is perfect for me. Check blind-spot...all clear. Use blinker for lane change. One blink, two blink, I am now starting to move over during the third blink, fourth blink almost there, fifth blink is done and I'm just centered in the lane.
Originally Posted by yardie876
5 is best for me. Hit it to signal you're changing lanes, then start changing lanes by the 3rd blink. I like to give those behind me warning that I'm changing lanes before I actually do so.
Well, I just wanted to let y'all know - I changed my lane change feature from 3 to 5 blinks [again] to give it another try. We'll see.
Old 06-10-19, 06:42 PM
oldwineguy
Lead Lap

Received 115 Likes on 59 Posts

I just did this with the step by step instructions and it worked perfectly, thanks @FishBike if you're still on here
Old 06-10-19, 07:13 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I just wanted to let y'all know - I changed my lane change feature from 3 to 5 blinks [again] to give it another try. We'll see.

Well, for 2½ years I have used the 5 blinks for lane changing. For me, I think 4 blinks would be perfect, but since it's either 3 or 5 blinks I've just left it on 5 blinks.
Old 06-10-19, 09:01 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Here in Cali, 1 blink per lane and most don't even blink at all. It's horrible!
signdetres (07-26-20)
Old 11-06-19, 10:22 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Just did this change this weekend, makes the driving experience much better. Thanks for the great tips
Old 07-17-20, 06:55 PM
FSportOnly
Rookie

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

This thread is golden. Changed mine to 7 blinks. Three was never enough.
Old 07-26-20, 06:41 PM
Niralsp88
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Another successful mod! Just changed mine from 3 to 5. Will test out how it is for the next week to see if I need to adjust to 7. Thank you for posting the instructions.

Quick Reply: lane change blinker