GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS F-Sport Fog light upgrade kit??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-16, 07:00 PM
Chris442
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
If there is a will there is always a way!
So how did you get it to work, if I may ask?
Old 01-31-16, 09:39 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris442
So how did you get it to work, if I may ask?
Joe gave us a hint in an older post! This is one part of the puzzle, this will offer the OEM functionality. You do not need to route any wires through the firewall.

Old 02-01-16, 07:46 AM
Chris442
Pit Crew

Joe gave us a hint in an older post! This is one part of the puzzle, this will offer the OEM functionality. You do not need to route any wires through the firewall.

Seems both the GS and IS use the same configuration with the K23 connector. To run the control wire to the stalk you have to run it through the firewall. This is the way I have it configured and from what I have read on the forum it is the way most IS owners have it ran. You run power to pin 10 and the yellow control wire to pin 11. Works just fine but I don't get the fog dash indicator light. I chatted with Tommy @ MusicBox over the weekend and he mentioned using the third pin in the new stalk as well as just messing around with the setup to get it to work. After thinking about it this third pin is probably for the rear fog light since this stalk also has that feature so I believe getting the dash indicator to work isn't currently possible unless there is another wire that needs to be tapped into.
Old 02-02-16, 11:55 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

It most certainly is possible, but I believe you have to tap into the ECU to get it to work. There are folks on here that have gotten it to work.
Old 02-02-16, 01:23 PM
Chris442
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jtrue28
It most certainly is possible, but I believe you have to tap into the ECU to get it to work. There are folks on here that have gotten it to work.
Sure wish someone would document these processes and post them.
Old 02-02-16, 05:45 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Can I be honest..?? The indicator on the dash means nothing...

The ON / OFF selector on the stalk speaks for itself..

Wish I could be more help.. Each time we did the first set of Fogs on the USDM 2013 GS 350 F Sport and 2014 IS350 F Sport we never bothered with the dash indicator..

There are a couple of owners who figured out the wire and tapped the ECU or Gauge (don't recall)

For me it wasn't worth the additional headaches..

Just my .02 cents

Joe Z
Old 02-03-16, 02:21 AM
Chris442
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Can I be honest..?? The indicator on the dash means nothing...

The ON / OFF selector on the stalk speaks for itself..

Wish I could be more help.. Each time we did the first set of Fogs on the USDM 2013 GS 350 F Sport and 2014 IS350 F Sport we never bothered with the dash indicator..

There are a couple of owners who figured out the wire and tapped the ECU or Gauge (don't recall)

For me it wasn't worth the additional headaches..

Just my .02 cents

Joe Z
Thanks for the input Joe. I guess it is to each his own but I just wanted to install a complete product. It seems this issue and the issue of limited installation directions has been going on for some time now for both the GS and IS so I guess that means it won't be resolved.

I was able to complete mine (except for the indicator ) with the help of your input and others on here as well as the TIS site. Will post info soon and will be glad to assist anyone else who needs help.
Old 02-03-16, 06:17 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks for the input Joe. I guess it is to each his own but I just wanted to install a complete product. It seems this issue and the issue of limited installation directions has been going on for some time now for both the GS and IS so I guess that means it won't be resolved.

I was able to complete mine (except for the indicator ) with the help of your input and others on here as well as the TIS site. Will post info soon and will be glad to assist anyone else who needs help.
Looking forward to your write up. I had fogs installed (with indicator on dash working) but it seems some pins are loose. I get the indicator to light up on the dash but get no fogs half of the time. I had the connector messed with once a few years back due to this problem but now it seems it's happening again. I'd rather have some clarification on what pins are for the fogs than tugging at every pin on the harness down there.
Old 02-03-16, 06:44 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Seriously guys, just have a high end stereo shop do the work. Good grief.
Old 02-03-16, 06:59 AM
Chris442
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Seriously guys, just have a high end stereo shop do the work. Good grief.
Sorry this is bothering you but I have no high end stereo shops around here that will touch this work, plus I enjoy working on my cars and knowing the job was done right the first time. The work isn't that difficult, it just needs to be documented so everyone can use the info. Isn't that one of the reasons for a forum - to get info or assistance?
Old 02-03-16, 07:09 AM
Chris442
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by yardie876
Looking forward to your write up. I had fogs installed (with indicator on dash working) but it seems some pins are loose. I get the indicator to light up on the dash but get no fogs half of the time. I had the connector messed with once a few years back due to this problem but now it seems it's happening again. I'd rather have some clarification on what pins are for the fogs than tugging at every pin on the harness down there.
Yardie876 - I hope to get it posted soon. The picture that PK_Celsior posted on 2/1 at 10:46 shows how the K23 connector should be wired. Pin 10 receives power and Pin 11 sends the signal via the yellow wire to the relay from the kit. That is if you have the Nigel JDM harness. I found a guy on eBay that sells the pins that go into the connector and he crimps them with a 8" lead so they are ready to insert for $3 ea. Toyota also sell this pin/wire combo but it is around $14.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-terminal-for-Toyota-applications-mods-camera-cruise-ECU-ECM-/191328057918?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
Old 02-03-16, 07:15 PM
sonyfan
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to write it. Can't wait
Old 02-03-16, 07:54 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

If a lot of people would like a write up I can complete one! It can vary from GS to IS, but in the end it can be very possible to complete. There are some extra parts you might have to purchase from the dealership.
Old 02-03-16, 09:51 PM
sonyfan
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If a lot of people would like a write up I can complete one! It can vary from GS to IS, but in the end it can be very possible to complete. There are some extra parts you might have to purchase from the dealership.
Yes, please
Old 02-04-16, 12:03 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sonyfan
Yes, please
I hope this is able to help everyone out! If there are any questions please feel free to leave it in the DIY thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post9350981

Quick Reply: GS F-Sport Fog light upgrade kit??