GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

iPod question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-12, 01:19 PM
Chumpion
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod question

Hey guys...just got an f sport and love it. Only question I have is about connecting an iPod. I am using the white Apple cable and the USB port. I start the car, the car sees the iPod for a second and then does not show the iPod - basically confirms that it is connected and then loses the connection. The iPod is up-to-date and remains in a state that shows that it is connected. Any ideas? I tried searching to no avail.
Old 05-27-12, 04:50 PM
kdsr123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same, i turned off bluetooth and wifi then it worked. This syncing is by pretty ****ty. I turned bluetooth on my iphone and i just plug it in to charge, because the ipod function doesnt always work.
Old 05-27-12, 06:01 PM
djpeak10
Driver School Candidate

I have an old nano and it works perfectly with my phone connected via Bluetooth. So that seems weird yours won't connect
Old 05-27-12, 06:09 PM
Chumpion
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. It is very strange since the car recognizes the iPod for a couple of seconds but the does not.
Old 05-27-12, 08:17 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had the same problem a couple of times. What I've done is take the IPod out of the car, turn it on (because it has been off) and plug it back in while it is playin. Then the car recognizes it again and I have no problems.
Old 05-28-12, 02:35 AM
x838nwy
Driver School Candidate

Hold on a minute, I placed my order (GS450h, arriving in about 2 weeks!!!) with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that anything in this day and age ANY car - specially one with en-form and all that crap - would feature seamless iPod and iPhone integration. Basically I didn't even bother to ask at the dealership abou it assuming it's so basic it's crazy.

Are you guys saying that the GS has a flaky iPod connectivity? Seriously??? WTF is going on?
Old 05-28-12, 05:15 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My iPod lives in the center console, connected at all times. I connect my Android phone via bluetooth. Both work fine most all the time. Two occasional glitches:

- The phone would occasionally hang if I occasionally switched to BT player mode. I deleted all music files that came on the phone and the problem went away.

- The car occasionally get confused and can't read the directory on the iPod. I use the iPod most every time I'm in the car and it's only happened twice.
Old 05-28-12, 09:31 AM
danjb
Driver School Candidate

From the manual page 471, Section 5-3 "Using the audio system:"
Depending on the iPod that is connected to the system, certain functions may not
be available. If a function is unavailable due to a malfunction (as opposed to a system
specification), disconnecting the device and reconnecting it once again may
resolve the problem
There is a similar statement about using a USB memory drive for music. I am disappointed at how flaky this function is, and given this statement in the owner's manual it seems like Lexus knew these functions are a bit flaky.

Incidentally, when I first connected a 32GB USB memory stick full of music, the music system did weird things and did not access it correctly for a LONG time (20+ minutes). Presumably it was scanning the files to find artist and album names. Even now, it seems I can't browse by artist/album when first starting the car for a couple minutes, presumably while the car verifies the music hasn't changed.

I would sum this up by saying when it works, it's great. Being able to play an album by voice with some accuracy is almost magical. But these kinds of quirks make this stuff frustrating. I hope future updates will improve this.
Old 05-28-12, 07:44 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by danjb
I would sum this up by saying when it works, it's great. Being able to play an album by voice with some accuracy is almost magical. But these kinds of quirks make this stuff frustrating. I hope future updates will improve this.
My IPod is always set on "random" play. When I use voice command to play a song or artist it goes there and then continually plays the same song over and over again. I would expect it to go to the next song, not repeat over and over. I've found a way to get out of that loop, but I don't know why it does that. Anyone else experience the same issue? Is there an easy way to do it without going back to one's playlist?