GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

DVD while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 02:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by varcity64
if i were to purchase it, i would certainly go for the plug an play kit (as opposed to splicing wires) in the event i did need to take my car in for warranty work. i cant wait until someone does a write-up so i can see how involved this is and order this for my car. i know my 6 yr old daughter would love it lol
to be exact, it's not splicing any wires at all, none of the factory wires is cut. one wire you have to tab to existing factory wire, and the kit comes with all the clamp. if you remove it, it's just like before.

in exchange, this allows the setup to be fully switchless, which i think is a huge pro

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
So I bought my car at Lexus of San Diego. And i dealt with the internet sales guy and he had a card of a guy. I called the guy and he quoted me the price. And these guys are mobile and come to you.
not sure if we are talking about the same person, but last i heard about this person in san diego, there was wire cutting involved
Old 06-18-12, 11:02 AM
mikec78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my GS350 done over the weekend here in LA at their shop and let me tell ya...THESE GUYS ARE GREAT! They white glove your car so you have no clue they did anything. Then they take you around for a drive show you how the switchless option works (basically it is the volume button they tie into, which is genius and easy to operate). So after 1.5hours and a Venti at Starbucks it was done...

If you want this added to your car, it is worth it and having them do it (Thanks to Henry in LA for the amazing install) saves a bunch of time!!! I can't thank these guys enough. If you have questions let me know...I even drove 70+ miles to get this install done, so it was worth the gas and drive.

They don't splice any wires so that the warranty isn't voided (I love the sound of that)!!!

Thanks Henry for the install and thanks Mark for an amazing company you run...
Old 06-18-12, 11:23 AM
alex206
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikec78
I just got my GS350 done over the weekend here in LA at their shop and let me tell ya...THESE GUYS ARE GREAT! They white glove your car so you have no clue they did anything. Then they take you around for a drive show you how the switchless option works (basically it is the volume button they tie into, which is genius and easy to operate). So after 1.5hours and a Venti at Starbucks it was done...

If you want this added to your car, it is worth it and having them do it (Thanks to Henry in LA for the amazing install) saves a bunch of time!!! I can't thank these guys enough. If you have questions let me know...I even drove 70+ miles to get this install done, so it was worth the gas and drive.

They don't splice any wires so that the warranty isn't voided (I love the sound of that)!!!

So now that you got that installed, can you tell me if the map will work if you have the module turned on? I read on PS's website that the map will be suspended when in use...I just don't want to always have to turn it on and off to access the map as I like the map mode when driving.
Old 06-18-12, 11:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by alex206
So now that you got that installed, can you tell me if the map will work if you have the module turned on? I read on PS's website that the map will be suspended when in use...I just don't want to always have to turn it on and off to access the map as I like the map mode when driving.
unfortunately the map will be suspended when you turn on the override. that's just how the system works (externally), you basically fool the system saying that your car is "stopped".

with the 4gs, with the system turned on, the map will still update itself, but at a very spotty rate (maybe once every few minutes if i recall).

but when you turn on the override, it's time you put in new address or access your phone book, etc... so you don't really "need" the map. once you are done, you turn the system off and let it recalibrate, and then the map will be moving normally again.

at least the good thing is, when your passenger is enjoying the movie, the map still works in the background and guide you through all the turns.
Old 06-18-12, 11:38 AM
alex206
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
unfortunately the map will be suspended when you turn on the override. that's just how the system works (externally), you basically fool the system saying that your car is "stopped".

with the 4gs, with the system turned on, the map will still update itself, but at a very spotty rate (maybe once every few minutes if i recall).

but when you turn on the override, it's time you put in new address or access your phone book, etc... so you don't really "need" the map. once you are done, you turn the system off and let it recalibrate, and then the map will be moving normally again.

at least the good thing is, when your passenger is enjoying the movie, the map still works in the background and guide you through all the turns.
Thanks for the info Rominl! I think I'm going to get it. Hope it doesn't involve lots of pulling and prying on the car!!
Old 06-18-12, 03:20 PM
mikec78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alex206,

I had a switch installed on my 2006 IS350 and this is the same thing just minus the switch (which is much better I feel).

And as for the navigation icon stopping, that isn't that big of a deal to mess things up when you drive, it totally fixes itself after a few seconds...sometimes 20seconds depending if you are in a high building area (like for me downtown Los Angeles).

I would recommend doing it if you like the unlock features and since I have had something like this since 2006 you start to depend on it and love it...

Just adding my $0.02 to the mix...

Enjoy the purchase if you make it...
Old 06-18-12, 03:54 PM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed it over the weekend and it is actually not difficult to install.
I am surprised that the interior is easy to take apart. A lot of clips....just a few screws involved.
You will need to take the radio unit, the vent/clock and the whole glove box out to gain access to all the plugs.
Old 06-18-12, 05:11 PM
Dharp65
Rookie

Nice work!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-12, 05:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by e39ng
I installed it over the weekend and it is actually not difficult to install.
I am surprised that the interior is easy to take apart. A lot of clips....just a few screws involved.
You will need to take the radio unit, the vent/clock and the whole glove box out to gain access to all the plugs.
yes, typical toyota/lexus approach, not many bolts / screws, mostly just clips.
Old 11-18-12, 08:31 AM
chicago66
Rookie

anyone local in chicago area .
Old 11-18-12, 11:10 AM
automaticj
Rookie

Anyone local in the Indianapois area??? What is the cost of this -- and does it add to my ML system?

And to verify -- It will allow me to watch and fully utilize the the apps while I am driving -- but when a DVD is playing will the destination still alert you of all turns when they come up or will you need to turn it off to check the map every so often?
Old 11-19-12, 12:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by automaticj
Anyone local in the Indianapois area??? What is the cost of this -- and does it add to my ML system?

And to verify -- It will allow me to watch and fully utilize the the apps while I am driving -- but when a DVD is playing will the destination still alert you of all turns when they come up or will you need to turn it off to check the map every so often?
yes it will. you can have the dvd playing and the map guidance will still work in the background

for installers, i guess try to contact ps, they have list of installers i think and hopefully one close by? can email chung@ps
Old 11-19-12, 11:41 AM
xyzstudio
Rookie

hi mike can u pm me the guy's number who installed it for u also the price u paid ,im in local LA metro area

thanks

Originally Posted by mikec78

Old 11-19-12, 06:57 PM
automaticj
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
yes it will. you can have the dvd playing and the map guidance will still work in the background

for installers, i guess try to contact ps, they have list of installers i think and hopefully one close by? can email chung@ps
I tried to email chung@ps.com and it came right back?
Old 11-19-12, 10:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh i am sorry, i typed it quick

chung@prestigioussociety.com

ps is just short form of prestigious society

Quick Reply: DVD while driving