GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dash rattles/other issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 02:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Agreed, and I would hardly say a rattle and poor Bluetooth connectivity qualifies a car as a POS.
well, when it comes to bluetooth, there are at least 100 different android phones, especially in the case of android, everyone does everything differently... you have $100 phone vs $60k car. I would try another phone.
Old 05-20-12, 02:36 PM
rockyman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably right, but I'm grumpy about this. I've saved for years so I could get a high-ends sports sedan and this is what I get? I run three service companies and if overpromis and under deliver I get fired, as there are 10 other competitors waiting to eat my lunch.

I'm amazed people seem to be ok with this.
Old 05-20-12, 05:09 PM
Liferules
Driver

Understand your frustration, but Enform is a new and evolving technology and as such I understand it may not be perfect out of the gates... so yes, I'm OK with my car having issues mainly with the Enform app connecting my phone to the car--truthfully because I don't consider it essential. I bought the car for its driving ability. I guess if I bought it for the new technology, maybe I'd feel different...

OTOH, the Bluetooth is very good and I have had no issues with it, just the Enform app, which I could take or leave.
Old 05-20-12, 08:40 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Liferules
Understand your frustration, but Enform is a new and evolving technology and as such I understand it may not be perfect out of the gates... so yes, I'm OK with my car having issues mainly with the Enform app connecting my phone to the car--truthfully because I don't consider it essential. I bought the car for its driving ability. I guess if I bought it for the new technology, maybe I'd feel different...

OTOH, the Bluetooth is very good and I have had no issues with it, just the Enform app, which I could take or leave.
Totally agree. I have no rattles (at least not yet, knock on wood) and I'm fine if my IPod, XM and DVD-A's work with the car. I also bought it for the driving experience and the knockout interior, and if I use the technology at some point that's great. I did have my car read back my e-mails to me through my Blackberry, and that's more than I need for right now.

With that said, I also understand that if Lexus advertises something cutting-edge and people buy it for that reason it should work as promised. I'm sure they will get it sorted out.
Old 05-20-12, 11:15 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

penny pinching manufacturing is the cause of all these rattles. I would rather spend $1000 or so more to have better quality parts being used.
Old 05-21-12, 06:01 PM
rockyman
Rookie

Not sure what the issue is, but they would have been money ahead by doing a proper job in the first place. My car has been in the shop more than my driveway, they pulled the dash and wrapped foam insulation around the wire harnesses. Why would they not do that at factory?

As for Blue tooth and phone compatability, I just buy the claim that there are "so many phones out there." I have a sonos wireless stereo system that plays from rhapsody, other internet, iTunes, or any othe audio source, and plays in 5 different rooms. I can control it with an iPad, my desktop, and my droid, and its all bullet proof.
Old 05-21-12, 06:43 PM
Jim1755
Driver School Candidate

This is very disheartening to see. I was considering a new GS 350 to replace my Infiniti but if this is any indication of Lexus' build quality I guess I'll keep looking. The Infiniti is far from perfect but at least it isn't a rattle-trap. There is no way a car in this class should have these kind of problems.

Have you approached Lexus about about a buy-back? It might be worth contacting them to see. Or maybe it is time to get an attorney involved and seek legal recourse.
Old 05-21-12, 06:59 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rockyman
Not sure what the issue is, but they would have been money ahead by doing a proper job in the first place. My car has been in the shop more than my driveway, they pulled the dash and wrapped foam insulation around the wire harnesses. Why would they not do that at factory?
Did the wireharness foam stop your rattles? It probably will be part of ongoing refinements on the assm line if it works. What other major issues did/do you have?
Old 05-21-12, 08:46 PM
lildann
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim1755
This is very disheartening to see. I was considering a new GS 350 to replace my Infiniti but if this is any indication of Lexus' build quality I guess I'll keep looking. The Infiniti is far from perfect but at least it isn't a rattle-trap. There is no way a car in this class should have these kind of problems.

Have you approached Lexus about about a buy-back? It might be worth contacting them to see. Or maybe it is time to get an attorney involved and seek legal recourse.
I think that you might be making a decision based on a very small percentage of owners of the new GS. I have one and have no rattles at all. I am having issues with my pandora app but I have been told that they are about to come out with a new update for the apps. I think that the new GS is by far the nicest car I've owned. The build quality seems to be great and the car seems quieter than a LS. I work at a lexus dealer and we have not had one complaint of a rattle on a new GS. Two of us that work there have new GSs and neither of us have any rattles. Both of our cars have over 2k miles on them. We work on all the Lexus Southern Area cars so we see the cars that they use for classes and also the reps cars. Most of the reps have GSs and I haven't heard one of them mention a rattle. I think that with a new model, there are always going to be some things that come up that will be fixed at the factory on later production cars. I would suggest driving one before making a decision.
Old 05-21-12, 09:59 PM
rockyman
Rookie

Have not had a chance to drive it since I'm out of town, but asked the dealer for a new car or refund, offering to pay for the few miles I put on. They say dash is awesome, which I'm sure it is. Still doesn't fix Enform. That will be an issue regardless. Their best answer is buy an iPhone or wait for the new app, whenever that is. Some people ok with that, others not:depends why you buy the car and how much your money means to you.
Old 05-21-12, 10:32 PM
rockyman
Rookie

Just make buying decision assuming Enform won't work. All you get is nav and bluetooth phone (usually). Im guessing my dash rattle is a one off. If you can live with that it's a fun car. Use that weakness to negotiate a better price. Both google store and iTunes rate the app as very poor.

Works good on Lexus web site, tho!
Old 05-22-12, 10:58 AM
Liferules
Driver

Originally Posted by rockyman
I have a sonos wireless stereo system that plays from rhapsody, other internet, iTunes, or any othe audio source, and plays in 5 different rooms. I can control it with an iPad, my desktop, and my droid, and its all bullet proof.
I've moved my Sonos to the garage as it stopped working. Some issue with wifi interference. I've tried everything... point being, different people have different experiences. Mine being the case, I still think Sonos is great, but not working in my electronic environment...

Like your idea of buying the car for the car and not the technology application--good philosophy. Applications will come and go and phone and app technologies will change a lot in the 3-7 year lifespan of the car...
Old 05-22-12, 02:26 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just like anything when your looking into a product online. I would not make your decision based on this persons experience. I just got a fsport and i friking love it. Enform is a pos at this point but my galaxy s2 connects always i get texts and I stream bluetooth seamlessly, and on top of that the car has amazing interior, i cant hear any rattles btw and those things drive me crazy. and it looks great and drives awesome.
Old 05-22-12, 02:31 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also I have not been able to successfully use any apps on my car yet. I called the 800 # and basically after everything was said and done she said yah we have huge connectivity problems right now. But we are working on it Blah blah blah. But it is not that big of a deal for me, it will eventually start working and it will be cool for a minute but when it comes time to renew I probably wont.
Old 05-22-12, 03:45 PM
gyung
Pole Position

No one said the GS was a rattle trap - this is based off one guy's experience. Trying to get Lexus to buy back a car over rattles and a bluetooth issue? Seriously?

Quick Reply: Dash rattles/other issues