GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rear Styling

Old 06-01-12, 10:40 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While walking into a store this morning, I saw a new Camry passing. The impression hit immediately that it looked better than the 4GS.

Cough cough. Pretty poor statement. No one will agree with that.
Old 06-01-12, 12:25 PM
Liferules
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add my opinion--I love that the rear of the car has the Lexus class while the front has aggressive styling. Honestly, I wouldn't have bought the car if the rear was as aggressive as the front because I wanted a sport-luxury, not sport car. So, while a select few may think it bland, I think it has a classy and luxury appearance. And while many cars are trying to copy that style, I don't see them as nice looking with the look of the taillights, etc...

And anyone who likes a Camry better than the GS...well I've just have to beg to differ as they are worlds apart. Guess you could say you like a VW Bug better as well...just really far out there...and really talking apples to oranges.
Old 06-01-12, 02:49 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Every car has its strengths and weaknesses.
There is no perfect car.
No one claims the new 4GS to be perfect.

However the problem here lies in the "subjective" nature of styling.
Most of us know that the new 4GS, like the old 3GS, both have rather poor rear foot room.
We also know that both the old 3GS and the new 4GS is weak on bottom end torque, yet strong on top end torque.
Space and bottom end torque is very "objective", so there is little argument nor debate.
However, unfortunately rear end styling, although scientific and proven not to be in the eye of the beholder, as the fallacy once said - styling is still very "subjective", thus it is very debatable.

Unlike something that is objective and cut and dry, something that is subjective is much more debatable.
Due to the subjective nature of styling, and that ability to brand the new 4GS rear beautiful, while another person calls it ugly - should we best go back to the old saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and leave it at that?

However, there begs the question.
Should we let the Narcissists take over?
A narcissist is someone who believes that they are always right, and that they have no weaknesses, or something they own has no weaknesses at all; in this case the 4GS has no weaknesses.

Or, should we let Lexus constructively know that they are going down the wrong track with the rear end of the 4GS, and that they need to improve on both the 4GS facelift due in 3 years, and the new 5GS due in 6 years?
Should we let Lexus know that they should improve on the 4GS in a number of ways including: exterior and interior styling, rear leg room, rear, shoulder room, rear foot space, bottom end torque, and engine noise?
Does Clublexus have a manufacturer's corner, where the manufacturer is invited to liaise with club members, for constructive feedback????
Btw, we shouldn't have to actually own the car to give feedback - that's ridiculous.

Because if we don't let Lexus know constructively, the company will almost certainly fall on its head in years to come, as the initial spike in sales decay.
Arrogance in the short term, often leads to failure in the long term.
It is better to be humble, down to earth, work hard, and get it right, for the good of the long term...

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-01-12 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-01-12, 03:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Every car has its strengths and weaknesses.
There is no perfect car.
No one claims the new 4GS to be perfect.

However the problem here lies in the "subjective" nature of styling.
Most of us know that the new 4GS, like the old 3GS, both have rather poor rear foot room.
We also know that both the old 3GS and the new 4GS is weak on bottom end torque, yet strong on top end torque.
Space and bottom end torque is very "objective", so there is little argument nor debate.
However, unfortunately rear end styling, although scientific and proven not to be in the eye of the beholder, as the fallacy once said - styling is still very "subjective", thus it is very debatable.

Unlike something that is objective and cut and dry, something that is subjective is much more debatable.
Due to the subjective nature of styling, and that ability to brand the new 4GS rear beautiful, while another person calls it ugly - should we best go back to the old saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and leave it at that?

However, there begs the question.
Should we let the Narcissists take over?
A narcissist is someone who believes that they are always right, and that they have no weaknesses, or something they own has no weaknesses at all; in this case the 4GS has no weaknesses.

Or, should we let Lexus constructively know that they are going down the wrong track with the rear end of the 4GS, and that they need to improve on both the 4GS facelift due in 3 years, and the new 5GS due in 6 years?
Should we let Lexus know that they should improve on the 4GS in a number of ways.
Does Clublexus have a manufacturer's corner, where the manufacturer is invited to liaise with club members, for constructive feedback????

Because if we don't let Lexus know constructively, the company will almost certainly fall on its head in years to come, as the initial spike in sales decay.
Arrogance in the short term, often leads to failure in the long term.
It is better to be humble, down to earth, work hard, and get it right, for the good of the long term...
Lexus is very aware of opportunities for the GS and they don't just read here but other places as well, any smart auto company would read what people say. Though they do have to sift through a horrible amount of garbage to find things of actual substance.

No one is proclaiming the 4GS as the greatest car of all time. Its a shame this place has turned at times into somewhere that a proud Lexus owner is chastised or questioned for being enthused about their product. Its the ****ing 4GS forum, shouldn't owners and enthusiasts of the 4GS be happy about their vehicle? Its not like they are posting in the IS or ES or hell other company forums proclaiming how good the car is (I tried that, doesn't work lol).

The fact of the matter is the GS and Lexus was the underdog here, the majority of people crapped on the car before it was driven, we argued about every stupid thing from overhangs to the face and here it is driving around best in class (arguably) selling slightly past sales goals and overall helping reinvent Lexus.

Maybe some of you don't realize how GOOD the GS had to be this time around. Every car in this class is solid, for the GS to hit sales goals and do well in comparisons usually favored to Germans is nothing short of remarkable, especially with no V-8 offering. We can argue about the looks and interior but the actual package is very VERY good.

I find myself not posting these type of remarks anymore b/c its almost ridiculous I have to state them on a Lexus forum.
Old 06-01-12, 04:55 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus is very aware of opportunities for the GS and they don't just read here but other places as well, any smart auto company would read what people say. Though they do have to sift through a horrible amount of garbage to find things of actual substance.

No one is proclaiming the 4GS as the greatest car of all time. Its a shame this place has turned at times into somewhere that a proud Lexus owner is chastised or questioned for being enthused about their product. Its the ****ing 4GS forum, shouldn't owners and enthusiasts of the 4GS be happy about their vehicle? Its not like they are posting in the IS or ES or hell other company forums proclaiming how good the car is (I tried that, doesn't work lol).

The fact of the matter is the GS and Lexus was the underdog here, the majority of people crapped on the car before it was driven, we argued about every stupid thing from overhangs to the face and here it is driving around best in class (arguably) selling slightly past sales goals and overall helping reinvent Lexus.

Maybe some of you don't realize how GOOD the GS had to be this time around. Every car in this class is solid, for the GS to hit sales goals and do well in comparisons usually favored to Germans is nothing short of remarkable, especially with no V-8 offering. We can argue about the looks and interior but the actual package is very VERY good.

I find myself not posting these type of remarks anymore b/c its almost ridiculous I have to state them on a Lexus forum.
Like I have said before, we are very happy with the new 4GS, and we would buy it over the E350, 535i, and the A6 - anytime!
No one has said the new 4GS is unattractive or ugly.
Like anything, the new 4GS has its strengths and weaknesses.
I have said before that I could easily live with a number of 4GS weaknesses myself; that's not a problem.
Some in this thread are just saying that the rear styling could do with some improvement.
That's constructive feedback, and its for the good of future generations...
Old 06-01-12, 05:05 PM
LexFather

Agreed Pete and my response wasn't all directly to you, just talking in general

I've had a 2GS and 3GS and to this day I am still struggling about possibly purchasing the 4GS sedan. This is no landslide victory. Oddly while the 3GS is inferior I simply prefer the looks inside and out. The 4GS 450h is remarkable on paper with 31MPG average but there is no F-sport version here and loaded its 70k.

A coupe would be interesting but I don't desire nor want a regular petrol engine unless its some sort of "F" model.

Thus I'm dating BMWs and Benz's on weekends
Old 06-02-12, 05:20 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Liferules
Just to add my opinion--I love that the rear of the car has the Lexus class while the front has aggressive styling. Honestly, I wouldn't have bought the car if the rear was as aggressive as the front because I wanted a sport-luxury, not sport car. So, while a select few may think it bland, I think it has a classy and luxury appearance. And while many cars are trying to copy that style, I don't see them as nice looking with the look of the taillights, etc...

And anyone who likes a Camry better than the GS...well I've just have to beg to differ as they are worlds apart. Guess you could say you like a VW Bug better as well...just really far out there...and really talking apples to oranges.
I don't like the Camry better but I think it flows better in design.

Bland is probably too strong a word to describe the 4GS rear. Its out of synch with the front. Its less stylish than expected for a high end car.

Is that better?
Old 06-02-12, 03:55 PM
lexesty72
Driver

LOL~~Drool~~
Old 06-03-12, 09:17 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I also feel the REAR styling is dull, especially the tailights. Get rid of the amber and make it look more like the concept = problem solved.
Old 06-04-12, 04:33 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I also feel the REAR styling is dull, especially the tailights. Get rid of the amber and make it look more like the concept = problem solved.
Seems to me the picture of the girl sorta shuts down this thread.
Old 06-04-12, 05:32 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
An appropriate end, indeed.
Old 07-14-12, 08:00 AM
dld542004
Driver School Candidate

From the drivers seat I don't notice the back!
Old 07-14-12, 09:28 AM
dreamG
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 40 Posts

Take the 2013 GS for what it is and stop whining! To date, it is unequivocally the all-around best looking GS!
Old 07-14-12, 09:37 AM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I am quite happy with the cars rear styling, although I would had rather seen the exhaust tips showing on the hybrid model, perhaps not on the luxury or premier but defiantly on the f sport
Old 07-14-12, 09:45 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
+1 you said it bruddah