GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Some new goodies came in from Autogeek today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-12, 05:09 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Room4Tu
Oh yeah, yes I will be clay barring the car as well before AIO and wax. I forgot to mention it because I will be using the Mcguire's clay bar kit that I had already purchased before hand. I think that one should work just fine.
I assume you meant that you will clay bar it before the AIO (not once before AIO and then once before wax) - right? Just once.
Old 04-25-12, 05:53 AM
alex206
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you do all of this with a clear bra on?
Old 04-25-12, 06:11 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by alex206
Yes. The wash, clay, seal and wax should be done on the clear bra as well. (If you are using a dedicated compound or polish, be extremely gentle).
Old 04-25-12, 06:49 AM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jj14
I assume you meant that you will clay bar it before the AIO (not once before AIO and then once before wax) - right? Just once.
Correct! I think I will go nuts if I had to clay bar twice.
Old 04-25-12, 07:48 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes it will protect it and keep it from getting yellow from road grime
Old 04-25-12, 11:13 AM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
there's a mega speed blaster sidekick for 68.45
Just ordered one today from them. I like how it's really compact compared to my leaf blower. And from what I've read it should be alot more stronger than your conventional leaf blower. I went ahead and orderd some Honey dew snow foam while I was at it. Thanks for the recommendations!
Old 04-25-12, 12:22 PM
alex206
Rookie

Default best wax??

Is there really any difference in brands of carnauba wax? Which is the best brand for obsidian black? I was looking at XXX hard core paste wax from chemicalguys.com...anyone tried that?
Old 04-25-12, 01:19 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Is there really any difference in brands of carnauba wax? Which is the best brand for obsidian black? I was looking at XXX hard core paste wax from chemicalguys.com...anyone tried that?
I'm still learning a lot as far as detailing goes but I think it really comes down to personal preference on a lot of these things. Try it, if you don't like it try something different.
Old 04-25-12, 01:22 PM
alex206
Rookie

Cool, thanks Tu! I'll try it and see
Old 04-25-12, 02:16 PM
nyczyang27
Driver School Candidate

There's no best wax. As Tu said, its really just personal preference. Any common best seller carnauba wax on reputable websites like autogeek or autopia will be just fine, especially on black cars.

If your black cars paint is flawless, free of swirls and scratches, which it should be since 4GS is brand new, any good wax will look great.
Old 04-25-12, 02:43 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

I recently tried a spray on wax (to see how good it was, and how long it lasted compared to the regular wax that requires elbow grease) - and was pleasantly surprised. (Optimum is what I used, but most of the reputable ones should work just as well) - took just about 20 or so minutes to spray on/wipe off the entire car. That was just under a month ago.

As of yesterday, it is still repelling water very well (beads).

I plan to use this with every ONR wash (once a month hopefully). Then, every 6-8 months, regular wash/rinse, clay, (light polish if needed), seal, and wax (regular "elbow grease" wax)
Old 04-25-12, 06:54 PM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by nyczyang27
There's no best wax. As Tu said, its really just personal preference. Any common best seller carnauba wax on reputable websites like autogeek or autopia will be just fine, especially on black cars.

If your black cars paint is flawless, free of swirls and scratches, which it should be since 4GS is brand new, any good wax will look great.
After driving black cars for 14 years, here are my tricks:

Zaino AIO
Zaino Z5 or ZCS
Zaino Z8

And get ready for Concours d'Elegance! Oh, before you lecture me on waxes, yes, have tried expensive Zymol waxes, p21s, Klasse, ect.
Old 04-26-12, 07:53 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Room4Tu
Just ordered one today from them. I like how it's really compact compared to my leaf blower. And from what I've read it should be alot more stronger than your conventional leaf blower. I went ahead and orderd some Honey dew snow foam while I was at it. Thanks for the recommendations!
that's why we're here,,,,,,, to help out , no matter how small the matter is. you're welcome Room4Tu
Old 04-28-12, 02:42 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

So this morning I gave her a two bucket wash again, clay barred to remove all contaminants, applied Klasse AIO to the entire car as well as windows, chrome, and wheels, and finally applied Natty's Blue carnuba wax paste to the entire car as well as wheels. Overall, I am really happy with the results of the AIO and Natty's Blue. The Klasse AIO gave the Obsidian a really squeaky clean look and shine which is suppose to last and protect for about 6 months, or so it says. I applied the Natty's Blue after the AIO and that really sealed the deal. Brought the Obsidian into a really deep, rich, wet, and warm type of shine. The wax smells like bubble gum too to top it all off. There was a lot of elbow grease involved and I do have to say what a PITA this whole process was. I do enjoy it however to some extent as well as get some self satisfaction after all is done. Here are some iphone pictures which do not do much justice to how she looks in person.

After the initial spray down I then used my foam gun to mobolize and lift all the bigger dirt off of the paint.

I kinda skipped the pictures of the wash and clay barring because at this point I just wanted to get it all done and move on to the application of the Klasse AIO as well as carnuba wax. Anyways, here are some finish pics after application of AIO to everything including chrome, wheels, and windows. I also waxed everything afterwards including all 4 wheels.

Perfect shiney and deep mirrored finish of the hood after AIO and Natty's blue carnuba wax.

...and just for kicks. Here's a pic of my 4GS standing next to a clean and immaculate 2GS belonging to another CL member at the local Lexus meet last week. It's hard to believe but there is about 14 years or so between these two cars. Mine Obsidian his Onyx I believe. Call it what you may but IMO it's the best color out there for the GS 2GS looks huge compared to my 4GS in this pic for some reason.

Last edited by Room4Tu; 04-28-12 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-28-12, 03:24 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

gave your girl a shower today i see. she's as sexy as ever. BTW. be careful of putting anything on your water repellent front door glass driver and passenger,,,, glass cleaner and a glass towel is what i use on my front door glass. i don't put sealant or anything like that on it.

Quick Reply: Some new goodies came in from Autogeek today...