GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

350f gears stick at high revs??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-12, 06:55 PM
JOELC
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 350f gears stick at high revs??

Anyone experience the gears sticking at high revs of 4000-6000 upon hard acceleration? My 350F is new and has approx 3800 km on it. I have not driven it hard as I am waiting for the 5000 break in point to let er rip. However, while on the highway once I felt the gears stick when I was in sport mode on a hard acceleration where I had the RPM's up to over 5000. Once there it stayed stuck at 5000 Aand would not gear down even though the MPH was dropping fast. I didn't pay much attention at the time. Tonight I rev'd it up again and sure enough it stuck again at 5000 and would not come down for approx 5 seconds where the MPH where way down from the initial burst.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this??
Old 04-22-12, 06:58 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its supposed to to do that.
Old 04-22-12, 07:11 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It is supposed to hold gears, but after I've passed and I'm ready to slow down I find it annoying. I just push the button to go back to "Normal" and it all falls back into place.
Old 04-22-12, 07:16 PM
jedimaster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Its supposed to to do that.
Yeah, you suppose to down shift. That's what the peddle shift is for when you are in sport mode.
Old 04-22-12, 07:23 PM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by jedimaster
Yeah, you suppose to down shift. That's what the peddle shift is for when you are in sport mode.
I meant up shift.
Old 04-23-12, 06:57 AM
JOELC
Rookie

So you mean if I am in sport mode + I am automatically in the mode where I have to use the paddles? This does not make any sense. The stick is still in normal position, but I still have to use the paddles to upshift, or I have to shift into "normal" mode? I dont think this is right.
If I am in Sport or Sport + without touching the stick shift, the auto tranny should still be in play, not the manual shifter.

Has anyone confirmed this with someone in Lexus who knows what they are talking about? Its such a new car that I am afraid the tech guys at the dealership are just an experienced as we are!
Old 04-23-12, 07:00 AM
JOELC
Rookie

Sorry, one more thing: If the analogy that it is supposed to hold gears in Sport mode is true then why does it not hold gears in the lower RPM area? It is fine and does not hold gears at lower RPMs. It only holds in the higher RPM category. It just doesn't jive!
Old 04-23-12, 07:06 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

No, when you are in sport or sport+, it does not automatically switch to paddles. If you keep the ****er in normal than it shifts on its own. The sport mode activates the sport transmission which holds the revs higher. It is supposed to do this. The transmission is still an automatic and will change gear at higher revs on its own if you don't move it over to paddle or auto shift.
Old 04-23-12, 07:29 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JOELC
Sorry, one more thing: If the analogy that it is supposed to hold gears in Sport mode is true then why does it not hold gears in the lower RPM area? It is fine and does not hold gears at lower RPMs. It only holds in the higher RPM category. It just doesn't jive!
Japanese engines have peak torque at 4k+ rpm. With that said, the transmission is programmed to keep the car at the peak power band when driving in Sports/Spots+ mode.
Old 04-23-12, 07:46 AM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusNN
No, when you are in sport or sport+, it does not automatically switch to paddles. If you keep the ****er in normal than it shifts on its own. The sport mode activates the sport transmission which holds the revs higher. It is supposed to do this. The transmission is still an automatic and will change gear at higher revs on its own if you don't move it over to paddle or auto shift.
Right. The paddles work in all modes including Eco. What I am trying to say is the paddles exist so driver can use them for quicker response. It is so much fun to play with the paddles.
Old 04-23-12, 07:57 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I totally agree, the paddles are the best part!
Old 04-23-12, 08:19 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JOELC
So you mean if I am in sport mode + I am automatically in the mode where I have to use the paddles? This does not make any sense. The stick is still in normal position, but I still have to use the paddles to upshift, or I have to shift into "normal" mode? I dont think this is right.
If I am in Sport or Sport + without touching the stick shift, the auto tranny should still be in play, not the manual shifter.

Has anyone confirmed this with someone in Lexus who knows what they are talking about? Its such a new car that I am afraid the tech guys at the dealership are just an experienced as we are!
LEXUS can't tell you @#$#%^. That's why we have "CLUB LEXUS". if there is a problem or question i may have, i boot up the macbook and or the iMac and CL here i come. i won't even pick up the phone and call lexus,,,, NEVER!!!!!
Old 04-23-12, 09:38 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jedimaster
Right. The paddles work in all modes including Eco. What I am trying to say is the paddles exist so driver can use them for quicker response. It is so much fun to play with the paddles.
Paddles are for more of a "leisurely" or "standard" downshift while the manual shift on the gearbox is designed for "quicker" shifter and throttle blips...
Old 04-23-12, 10:00 AM
JOELC
Rookie

Sorry guys I still dont get it! When it is in sport mode it shifts fine until I get it over 4000 RPM, then it sticks? I dont see the rational or reason for this. If anything it is a burden on the engine and could cause problems for the driver who now has to fool around to get the thing to upshift. If I wanted to use the paddles that should be my option, but if the car is in sport mode and will not up shift naturally when gauging the MPH / RPM on its own then in my books that is a flaw. Can anyone tell me the benefit of this so I may try to understand Lexus's rational?
Old 04-23-12, 10:08 AM
JOELC
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusNN
LexusNN, I guess my concern is the car is not changing gears at higher revs on its own. It sticks anywhere between 4000 and 6000 for seconds (which is a lot) before it shifts down, when it should shift much much faster. In my feeling it should be shifting faster to follow the natural acceleration / deceleration of the car. It is basically like having a car stuck in second gear while going 60 MPH and listening to the engine scream. I dont see any upside for this set up.

Quick Reply: 350f gears stick at high revs??