GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F Sport vs Luxury

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-12, 02:07 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
335i? In tax-heavy Singapore? Hmm.........I would've thought that Performance Motors would have brought in lower displacement models as their mass-market varints for the F30. You know, 320i, 318i, etc.

The only downside is here is our F-sport suffers the same fate like in Guam because for the Philippine market (dunno if it applies in Singapore as well), well..........our F-sport get these ugly-looking eyesores:

The F30 just arrived on our shores and the 1st 2 specs were the top-of-line 335i-Sport and 328i-Luxury. The 320i will be arriving later this year as the volume seller.

Yes we get those ugly 18" wheels too......

I'm looking at these official F-sport accessory wheels. The great thing about them are that they're forged as compared to the stock 19 inchers which are cast :

Originally Posted by IZZO2FIZZO

19-in Full-Face Forged Alloy Wheels

(GS 350 RWD only) Add a bold and athletic edge with 19-inch F SPORT full-face forged-aluminum alloy wheels[*] clad in a Liquid Silver high-gloss finish. The lightweight forged-aluminum alloy helps reduce unsprung weight, while the ultrastrong, hub-centric design limits vibration and reduces weight even further. They require spline-drive lug nuts, which are included in the available Wheel Installation Kit.

MSRP: $2,196[*] Available Late Summer 2012

http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/accessories/index.html#p
Sewell Lexus is selling them.I'm thinking of shipping them by sea to Singapore :
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2013/5463.html
Old 04-21-12, 11:55 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by natnut
I'm looking at these official F-sport accessory wheels. The great thing about them are that they're forged as compared to the stock 19 inchers which are cast :

Sewell Lexus is selling them.I'm thinking of shipping them by sea to Singapore :
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2013/5463.html
Wow, that looks neat as well (strange that these wheels are not posted at Lexus Japan website). Question are these wheels made in Japan.........or in America?

Also, what do you mean when you say "forged" wheels?

Are these wheels staggered like 19 inch twin-spoke F-sport wheels (i.e. rear wheels bigger than front wheels).......or are these like the normal size (front and rear are same dimensions)?

Is it possible to replace the wheel logo cap? (I would prefer to see it with the Lexus "L" logo instead of the "F" sport logo).

Thanks
Old 04-21-12, 12:10 PM
natnut
Pole Position

http://www.corwheels.com/forged-vs-c...he-difference/

Basically forging > casting since it results in lighter,stronger and more durable wheels. Lighter wheels also reduce unsprung weight and thus improve responsiveness of the suspension and hence handling.

From the Sewell Lexus link I provided, they are staggered like the stock 19inchers on the RWD F-sport(19X8 front,19X9 rear) but lighter due to their forged construction.Otherwise fitment should be exactly the same.

You should email Sewell Lexus about the wheel cap logo.I'm not sure about that one....
Old 04-21-12, 08:01 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the wheel caps must be interchangeable, so Sewell could trade out the F Sport caps for the Lexus caps. I'll take your F Sport caps.
Old 04-22-12, 08:46 AM
LEX900
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test drove Fsport and Lux at the Performance event yesterday. I couldnt really tell the difference. Both excellent.
Old 04-22-12, 10:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by LEX900
Test drove Fsport and Lux at the Performance event yesterday. I couldnt really tell the difference. Both excellent.
the fsport doesn't have drs right?

if so, of course can't tell. they have the exact same suspension. the fsport has bigger brakes and maybe 19" wheels, otherwise the ride is exactly the same
Old 04-22-12, 11:52 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the fsport doesn't have drs right?

if so, of course can't tell. they have the exact same suspension. the fsport has bigger brakes and maybe 19" wheels, otherwise the ride is exactly the same
Doesn't the fsport have stiffer springs?
Old 04-22-12, 12:29 PM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Wow, that looks neat as well (strange that these wheels are not posted at Lexus Japan website). Question are these wheels made in Japan.........or in America?

Also, what do you mean when you say "forged" wheels?

Are these wheels staggered like 19 inch twin-spoke F-sport wheels (i.e. rear wheels bigger than front wheels).......or are these like the normal size (front and rear are same dimensions)?

Is it possible to replace the wheel logo cap? (I would prefer to see it with the Lexus "L" logo instead of the "F" sport logo).

Thanks
they are made in taiwan actually. You can get them staggered or not..your choice (if you have awd)
Yah the wheel cap can be replaced.
Old 04-23-12, 12:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Doesn't the fsport have stiffer springs?
between fsport and regular gs350 with luxury package, the suspension is exactly the same. fsport doesn't have stiffer springs or shocks. all settings the same, even at S+. keep in mind it's compared to the luxury package. the base regular gs350 of course has less aggressive setup.

i was informed of this when i first tested the gs350 in person. i was surprised and can't say i am impressed by it. i would expect maybe some lowering and preferably even more aggressive suspension. at least you get the bigger brakes and larger wheels.
Old 04-23-12, 12:34 AM
natnut
Pole Position

It's not just the larger brakes and wheels though.

In Japan and Singapore at least, the F-Sport gets the VGRS that the Luxury doesn't get.Also the VDIM is programmed to be less instrusive in the Sport+ setting for the F-Sport

It's not just the components that matter.In the F-Sport, all 4 components of handling: VGRS,DRS,VDIM and AVS are integrated to work together.You don't get that level of integration/synergy with the Luxury model. You can download the brochure from the Lexus Jp English website that says as much.

Last edited by natnut; 04-23-12 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-23-12, 07:15 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

F sport has the same suspension as the luxury car but it is "f sport tuned" and lowering springs ate available this summer
Old 04-23-12, 08:57 AM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock 19 RWD F Sport wheels

Are you sure the stock wheels are cast? I could have sworn I read somewhere that there're forged.
Old 04-23-12, 09:05 AM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSFGO
Are you sure the stock wheels are cast? I could have sworn I read somewhere that there're forged.
cast 10char...
Old 04-23-12, 09:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by natnut
It's not just the larger brakes and wheels though.

In Japan and Singapore at least, the F-Sport gets the VGRS that the Luxury doesn't get.Also the VDIM is programmed to be less instrusive in the Sport+ setting for the F-Sport

It's not just the components that matter.In the F-Sport, all 4 components of handling: VGRS,DRS,VDIM and AVS are integrated to work together.You don't get that level of integration/synergy with the Luxury model. You can download the brochure from the Lexus Jp English website that says as much.
i never said components are all that matters. but at the same time imho it could have been more differentials between the two. others can feel free to disagree
Old 03-16-15, 01:09 PM
kevinm123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don’t really feel much of a difference between sport and sport+ mode on my 2013 Lexus GS 350 Luxury package.

In sport+ the suspension MIGHT be slightly firmer. I don’t notice any changes in the steering feel.

My 2006 E90 BMW 325 with sports package corners MUCH better. But at the same time, the BMW is a smaller car and it wouldn't be fair to compare the two.

Overall I’m happy with the Lexus, but I wish I could tell the difference between sport and sport+.

Quick Reply: F Sport vs Luxury