GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

For guys and gals who carry.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 01:02 PM
Pacman9270
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomin
When it hits the fan, these perps roll up instantly and unless you're always alert of transitional spaces, have situational awareness and mastered your draw so much that your instincts and reflexes have become muscle memory - good luck having enough time getting to your hiding spots. This stuff happens in a second and done in two.

Here guys, this is where I go

http://guntactics.com/Handgun.htm

In Texas, your handgun MUST be concealed. It cannot be in the open or in any view that someone can see it. If police were to see it, they could seize it and fine you. This is the main reason for finding a hiding place. For those that are unable to carry, a visible weapon would/could invite thieves to break into your vehicle.

Just giving you another perspective as to why people are trying their best to hide their weapons.
The following users liked this post:
Neles (02-08-18)
Old 02-08-18, 01:12 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Tactical issues aside, there are reasons to lock your gun in the glove box. I have to disarm sometimes when I enter a gun free zone like the post office. Anyhow, I would move the manual to the trunk as suggested before. I have place a Sig P226 full size piston in the glove box, so a G19 should be no problem.

Carjackings are up 44% this year in Chicago, so I personally always have it on my hip. I have no issues turning over my car if that is all they want but if my family or my life is in danger, then all bets are off.
The following 3 users liked this post by praetor:
mcomer (02-09-18), Neles (02-08-18), Pacman9270 (02-08-18)
Old 02-08-18, 05:15 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman60
Mine sits between my legs the holster is mounted to the steering column.
Be careful. Remember the knee airbag is down there too!
Old 02-08-18, 05:27 PM
gsrsx13
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have a Glock 26 in the middle and on top of that I have the ruler lcp at the moment, took the lcp out from my office forgot to bring it back

but usually just have the Glock 26 in the middle
Old 02-09-18, 08:27 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Glock 43, IWB usually. Usually don't bother going off body if I can avoid it.

I also keep a duplicate DL and registration in that little pocket in the visor in the GS. The great thing about this is if you ever get pulled over you don't have to worry about a LEO thinking about "furtive movements" or any of that BS, you can simply turn your lights on and just pull them out and hand them to the officer. This eliminates/reduces any potential 4A problems. Must notify states I'd probably end up putting carry lic there too. (although up here in new england, none of the states are must notify if you have the correct permits.

-Mike
peteharvey (08-30-19)
Old 02-09-18, 09:24 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
Tactical issues aside, there are reasons to lock your gun in the glove box. I have to disarm sometimes when I enter a gun free zone like the post office. Anyhow, I would move the manual to the trunk as suggested before. I have place a Sig P226 full size piston in the glove box, so a G19 should be no problem.

Carjackings are up 44% this year in Chicago, so I personally always have it on my hip. I have no issues turning over my car if that is all they want but if my family or my life is in danger, then all bets are off.
Unfortunately in my State, you can't legally put your firearm in a 'fixed compartment' of the vehicle like a glove box so I have to use a 'cabled safe' with the cable wrapped around the seat rail/floor mount. This allows me to secure the firearm when going to gun free areas and stay legal since the safe is not 'fixed' to the vehicle.
Old 02-09-18, 01:01 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

BTW, the entire manual is available online at www.lexusdrivers.com, just tap in model and year then resources.
corpnupe85 (02-09-18)
Old 02-09-18, 08:16 PM
Astrokat
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I know I am just a liberal from "the big city", but gun views aside, this looks like a tactical nightmare.

Fumbling to reach to grab your "burner" from the glove compartment, will kill valuable time. Not to mention you then have to point said "gat" at a threat while in a awkward sitting position, with minimal space to maneuver.

Same thing if it is next to your leg. You will have to grab "the biscuit" to point it at said threat risking putting holes in your car passengers or shooting yourself. Not to mention putting "the burner" in front of an air bag radius could result in possibly pistol whipping yourself durning a car crash,

Following the philosophy to not show it unless your about to use it, your best bet is to do what the cops do and keep it on your person?

But if are you going to step out the car to confront a sketch assailant, you already lost the advantage and your Lexus now belongs to the homies.

Not to mention how horrible of an idea this is if you are pretty much any shade of brown.

I say, unless you owe some bad people money, are blantantly flashy, or are a mobile Duane Reade, might be best to keep the chopper at home.

Old 02-11-18, 12:53 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrokat
I know I am just a liberal from "the big city", but gun views aside, this looks like a tactical nightmare.

Fumbling to reach to grab your "burner" from the glove compartment, will kill valuable time. Not to mention you then have to point said "gat" at a threat while in a awkward sitting position, with minimal space to maneuver.

Same thing if it is next to your leg. You will have to grab "the biscuit" to point it at said threat risking putting holes in your car passengers or shooting yourself. Not to mention putting "the burner" in front of an air bag radius could result in possibly pistol whipping yourself durning a car crash,

Following the philosophy to not show it unless your about to use it, your best bet is to do what the cops do and keep it on your person?

But if are you going to step out the car to confront a sketch assailant, you already lost the advantage and your Lexus now belongs to the homies.

Not to mention how horrible of an idea this is if you are pretty much any shade of brown.

I say, unless you owe some bad people money, are blantantly flashy, or are a mobile Duane Reade, might be best to keep the chopper at home.
Pejorative stuff aside, I'll agree that off body carry in a car is generally stupid, if only for the fact that you get in a wreck, the gun is probably going flying (and possibly missing!) at least if its in a decent holster on your body, it probably ain't going anywhere. Not to mention having the thing in plain sight of LE or other miscreants is generally a bad idea. IMHO obc holsters (like the stuff that mount on the dash or side of console, etc) are "you live in the middle of nowhere and you keep an extra gun in your farm truck" type of thing. Otherwise they are sort of a dumpster fire. Not to mention you have to transition the gun to that holster, which makes it all the more obnoxious. Having to mess with a gun administratively all the time sucks. It's easier to just carry the thing and be done with it.

-Mike
Old 02-12-18, 06:03 AM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Use this in console.
Attached Thumbnails For guys and gals who carry.-bd848-cell-phone-look-like-case-1.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by modad:
Pacman9270 (02-12-18), peteharvey (08-30-19)
Old 05-24-19, 12:30 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacman9270
In Texas, your handgun MUST be concealed. It cannot be in the open or in any view that someone can see it. If police were to see it, they could seize it and fine you. This is the main reason for finding a hiding place. For those that are unable to carry, a visible weapon would/could invite thieves to break into your vehicle.

Just giving you another perspective as to why people are trying their best to hide their weapons.

In Texas the driver does not have to keep his or her handgun concealed as long as it is kept holstered on his or her person, otherwise the handgun must be concealed from view...'concealed from view' meaning the handgun must not be able to be viewed (seen) at anytime, from any position, within the vehicle.
Old 05-27-19, 04:20 AM
GolfnCPA
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

https://phantomholsters.com/collecti...ntom-quickdraw

Use this in my pickup when at the farm. Don’t really carry much in the city, but use the side map pocket when driving the GS (left handed).
Old 05-28-19, 05:58 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by GolfnCPA
https://phantomholsters.com/collecti...ntom-quickdraw

Use this in my pickup when at the farm. Don’t really carry much in the city, but use the side map pocket when driving the GS (left handed).
I like this one, but I'm not drilling on my console or anywhere.
Old 05-28-19, 06:48 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My Glock 43X fits fine in the center console, in the door, and in the glove box. Just move the manual to the trunk if you want it in the glove box. I always lock mine in the glove box when leaving the vehicle in a less than ideal place.

As for the guys saying carry it on you while driving. Have you actually done that before? It is very uncomfortable. Unlike police, who open carry on their hip. IWB holsters hurt when sitting. Not saying people don't do it. But for me personally, nope.

But to each their own. Just glad some fellow Clublexus members are carrying.
Old 05-28-19, 07:27 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by leisinjp
My Glock 43X fits fine in the center console, in the door, and in the glove box. Just move the manual to the trunk if you want it in the glove box. I always lock mine in the glove box when leaving the vehicle in a less than ideal place.

As for the guys saying carry it on you while driving. Have you actually done that before? It is very uncomfortable. Unlike police, who open carry on their hip. IWB holsters hurt when sitting. Not saying people don't do it. But for me personally, nope.

But to each their own. Just glad some fellow Clublexus members are carrying.
I'm not in my car 8 hours a day and I carry OWB. It isn't bad at all for me. I just have to move the holster more towards the front. IWB doesn't work for me so I carry OWB.

Quick Reply: For guys and gals who carry.