GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS 350 vs 2013 ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 05:35 AM
Leo23
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait a second... the ES is 2" longer than the GS!
Old 04-06-12, 11:19 AM
LexFather

Leo the ES has been as long/longer than the GS for sometime now.

For me the ES 300h appeals to me with its 40MPG on top of how good it looks inside and out. I just know its going to drive slower, less responsive and there is no getting around how a FWD car feels.

The GS 450h appeals to me b/c it mixes the sport of the GS with the addition of the hybrid MPG and power at 31 MPG.

I will say I think it is very important that Lexus ads some sort of GS coupe or V-8 or GS F quickly to futher distinguish the two vehicle lines. It is clear Lexus has a huge hit with the GS and they do not need to let off the gas or focus on the bread and butter ES which didn't need much help. LEts face it, the ES sells no matter what, it has a core audience, they never get the ES wrong it is always a great seller.

Lexus needs to continue to focus on the GS line b/c it needs it.
Old 04-06-12, 06:17 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

The ES is by far not a cheaply put together car. You expect to get 'upgrades' of materials, options, features, driving dynamics, etc,... if you're paying $15K more, I know I would. The two cars are targeted to different drivers and maybe even income levels, but what's important here is a Lexus is a Lexus and build quality is second to none no matter what model. The 2013 ES is a very classy looking car, and so is the GS. They compliment each other. I believe with these models and the yet released LS, which I think will 'knock' our socks off', Lexus will over-take BMW as the sales leader.
Old 04-06-12, 07:39 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF350
The 306hp/277tq is based on article unless motortrend provide wrong information. Need to double check with Lexus website.
------------------------

As for the gas-powered 2013 ES 350, it will continue to be powered by an updated version of Toyota's 3.5-liter V-6 (in the GS the massaged engine outputs 306-hp/277-lb-ft) driving the front wheels via a six-speed automatic.
I think you're just reading it wrong. Motor Trend isn't claiming it's going to have 306 HP and 277 Torque, they're simply stating that Toyota 3.5L V6's are tuned up to 306/277 in the GS.
Old 04-07-12, 04:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

ES is really important car for Lexus... for people who think ES is really close to GS, then ES is obviously much better choice and they probably would not buy an GS anyway because it is too expensive :-)
Old 04-07-12, 08:21 AM
itruns
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF350
The 306hp/277tq is based on article unless motortrend provide wrong information. Need to double check with Lexus website.
------------------------

As for the gas-powered 2013 ES 350, it will continue to be powered by an updated version of Toyota's 3.5-liter V-6 (in the GS the massaged engine outputs 306-hp/277-lb-ft) driving the front wheels via a six-speed automatic. The automaker claims the ES has been engineered with more precise handling and a smoother ride thanks to a stiffer body, new steering ratios, and revised suspension geometry and hardware. The ES will come standard with 17-inch wheels, with 18s available for the first time as an option.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows...#ixzz1rDfXCP00
The "Toyota 3.5 V6"...268hp is the same engine family, but it is a different engine. Like the 305 Chevy is not a 350 Chevy even though they share the same basic design and lots of components.
The 3.5’s share components, but different Heads, cams, pistons, rings, intake, programming and DFI set up. And as Toyota does not use this engine, only Lexus… it is a Lexus engine.
Lexus hasn't stated yet which version the ES will get, but if it does get the 306hp, I would really expect a possible drive-train bump in the GS like last time.
Old 04-07-12, 08:25 AM
itruns
Driver

Originally Posted by LexPaul
The ES is by far not a cheaply put together car. You expect to get 'upgrades' of materials, options, features, driving dynamics, etc,... if you're paying $15K more, I know I would. The two cars are targeted to different drivers and maybe even income levels, but what's important here is a Lexus is a Lexus and build quality is second to none no matter what model. The 2013 ES is a very classy looking car, and so is the GS. They compliment each other. I believe with these models and the yet released LS, which I think will 'knock' our socks off', Lexus will over-take BMW as the sales leader.
Lexus has been in the Lead for the last 11 years....Last year with very low inventory to sell both BMW and Mercedes edged ahead of Lexus in sales, but it will only be temporary as Lexus increases inventory levels and rolls out 2 years worth of new/updated models in the next 18 months.
Old 04-07-12, 09:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by itruns
The "Toyota 3.5 V6"...268hp is the same engine family, but it is a different engine. Like the 305 Chevy is not a 350 Chevy even though they share the same basic design and lots of components.
The 3.5’s share components, but different Heads, cams, pistons, rings, intake, programming and DFI set up. And as Toyota does not use this engine, only Lexus… it is a Lexus engine.
Lexus hasn't stated yet which version the ES will get, but if it does get the 306hp, I would really expect a possible drive-train bump in the GS like last time.
My guess is that the ES350 will keep the same engine and trans that it has now and shares with Camry, Avalon etc., etc. Just a guess at this point tho.
Old 04-07-12, 04:15 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo23
Wait a second... the ES is 2" longer than the GS!
The ES has a longer nose cone [overhang] than the GS, so that the ES headlights can be slimmer and sleeker.
Both cars are roughly the same length.
Although the GS has a longer wheelbase, it's additional length is not devoted to increasing cabin length or boot length, but it is used to mount the engine behind the front axle for near 50:50 weight distribution.
Old 04-07-12, 08:17 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The ES has a longer nose cone [overhang] than the GS, so that the ES headlights can be slimmer and sleeker.
Both cars are roughly the same length.
Although the GS has a longer wheelbase, it's additional length is not devoted to increasing cabin length or boot length, but it is used to mount the engine behind the front axle for near 50:50 weight distribution.
Now THIS is the type of informative information we need in this forum. Thanks for clarifying.
Yes, the nose of the ES would be longer due to FWD.
Old 04-08-12, 02:25 AM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by pinipig523
They can't possibly have the same performance in both the GS and ES.... that would cannibalize the GS.
I might also add that the ES will have a much smaller console screen than GS. When I sit in my 4GS, I can really feel the presence of the bright 12.3" screen and I feel expensive. . This large screen really won me over E350 and 535i.
Old 04-08-12, 07:07 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by itruns
Lexus has been in the Lead for the last 11 years....Last year with very low inventory to sell both BMW and Mercedes edged ahead of Lexus in sales, but it will only be temporary as Lexus increases inventory levels and rolls out 2 years worth of new/updated models in the next 18 months.
Excellent point, and that's a major reason why Lexus fell behind, I was at the dealer over the wekend and a 'client advisor' told me that they can't keep enough GS's in stock, they are selling like hot-cakes. He also said that Lexus will now, upgrade their vehicles every 3 years now instead of 4 because of the increased competition and that more of the LFA technology will be pushed up to other models, so there are even greater things to come in the coming years.....
Old 05-23-12, 08:41 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm waiting to see the new ES before I decide between the GS and ES but there is that price differential, need to way the pros and cons but that GS sure does look nice
Old 05-23-12, 10:02 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

GS F Sport hands down for me!
Old 05-23-12, 11:30 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

The difference in handling will probably be night and day. The ES will probably be much roomier.

Quick Reply: 2013 GS 350 vs 2013 ES 350