GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tints from dealer. Are they legal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-12, 03:56 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Angry Tints from dealer. Are they legal?

i had a f%#$ked up day. took wife to market, came out to find a pile of bird s%#t on my car . it was stuck on my trunk like glue, found more or shall i say a lot running down the side. there should be a law that if we catch a bird crapping on our car we are allowed to shoot it. anyway,, sorry had a bad day don't mean to ramble. was stooped a couple of hours later by two overeager ready to please the brass rookies. was given two tickets for tints. one side was scratched pretty good from the tint meter they slid over the window. told them lexus installed the tints and that they are legal. i am not removing my tints and lexus is going to replace the damaged tint. ARE LEXUS TINTS LEGAL??????? i asked before they were installed and was told yes, i won't have any problems.has anyone else had this problem, if yes what did you do?
Old 04-05-12, 04:05 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NYC cops are the worst. Was out in LES about a month ago and these Blacks and Hispanics Cops doing random frisks to other Blacks and Hispanics because they "thought" they saw them smoking a joint (because you know, people that smoke marijuana will commit other more severe illegal activities..Bullsht cough cough)..All of a sudden one white guy across the street kicks a FULL trash can over. They run to him, yell at him, and let him keep walking and that was it. Fckn idiot racist police force.

I have no input on your subject of dealership tints. But I just wanted to share the stupidity of these dumb asses.
Old 04-05-12, 04:09 PM
Got PSI
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL Epic thread.
Old 04-05-12, 05:26 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
NYC cops are the worst. Was out in LES about a month ago and these Blacks and Hispanics Cops doing random frisks to other Blacks and Hispanics because they "thought" they saw them smoking a joint (because you know, people that smoke marijuana will commit other more severe illegal activities..Bullsht cough cough)..All of a sudden one white guy across the street kicks a FULL trash can over. They run to him, yell at him, and let him keep walking and that was it. Fckn idiot racist police force.

I have no input on your subject of dealership tints. But I just wanted to share the stupidity of these dumb asses.
you hit it on the nose. key words,,,,,,STUPID DUMBASSES.
Old 04-05-12, 05:30 PM
Exeon
Driver School Candidate

Lexus doesn't install tints on the car unless its the factory type on SUV's. It's most likely your dealers aftermarket tint, which is illegal if you reach a certain legal percentage.
Old 04-06-12, 07:47 AM
SpEe1113
Driver School Candidate

I was told the same thing at my dealer, they referred me to a guy that comes on site to tint cars at the owners request. They can tint the car whatever darkness you want, so you may need to specify "legal tint" although you would think the dealer would not allow any car to leave the lot with anything illegal on it. If they're doing that, they should hook up the DVD player to run while driving too then!
Old 04-06-12, 08:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

You can look online and find out what level of tint is legal in your state. Most of the tint mfgrs. (3M, LLumar etc.) have the info on their sites.
Old 04-06-12, 10:48 AM
Lexicated
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You can look online and find out what level of tint is legal in your state. Most of the tint mfgrs. (3M, LLumar etc.) have the info on their sites.
The Department of Motor Vehicles will have that information as well.
I requested the dealership tint mine “Virginia Legal”. In VA, you can have 35% on rear/back, only 50% on front (door glass only). Since the dealer was in TN, they tinted 35% on front and rear. Additionally, in VA, you can have a 35% on front windows with a prescription (they put a note on your registration). I have a prescription now. Tint laws/levels for SUVs are also different than cars.
The picture shows 35% front/back. It looks darker from a distance.
[ATTACH]Tints from dealer. Are they legal?-lexus-gs-003.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Tints from dealer. Are they legal?-cltint.jpg  
Old 04-06-12, 01:25 PM
Got PSI
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car looks beautiful ! ^
Old 04-07-12, 12:27 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IN NY TINTS ARE ILLEGAL, It doesn't matter who did it, or what you were told. Simple as that, take them off or keep paying.