Auto-tilting side mirrors in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 07:38 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Auto-tilting side mirrors in reverse

Hey guys,

Out of curiousity, does this work on your cars?

What I'm normally accustomed to is that whatever side your mirror adjustment **** is set to will tilt down when you put the car in reverse. The other side normally stays as is. I believe my mom's LX570 might actually tilt both down.

I picked up my GS350 F-Sport today and I can't figure out the side mirrors. The salesperson told me that it doesn't tilt any more because the car has a rear view camera - but that doesn't make much sense as the purpose of the tilting is not to see what's behind you, but to watch the curb.

Right now, when I put the car in reverse, the LEFT mirror tilts (but it actually seems to turn away and go down). This happens regardless of which side the adjustment **** is set to. Normally, you'd want the right side to tilt as that's the side you parallel park on.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I couldn't find anything in the configuration settings at all.

Thanks, please let me know if I'm not being clear or if this is answered elsewhere in the forum.

Mehran
Old 04-02-12, 07:47 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have noticed on mine, the mirrors (both) tilt downard when I put the car into reverse. I do not see any outward tilt or shift. When I cancel the left or right mirror and put it into reverse, the mirrors do not move. Not sure why yours is tilting out first then down unless there is a way to set it that way.
Old 04-02-12, 07:50 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe that on US spec cars, the mirrors will auto-tilt down if the left or right adjustment light is illuminated. If no adjustment light is illuminated, the mirrors won't tilt.
The following users liked this post:
whalley (12-01-18)
Old 04-02-12, 07:51 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by Room4Tu
From what I have noticed on mine, the mirrors (both) tilt downard when I put the car into reverse. I do not see any outward tilt or shift. When I cancel the left or right mirror and put it into reverse, the mirrors do not move. Not sure why yours is tilting out first then down unless there is a way to set it that way.
What do you mean by "when I cancel"? Do you mean when you take it out from reverse and pack into drive, neutral or park?

I'll keep an eye out for it. I take the car in in a month for a quick once-over, so I'll bring it up then.

M
Old 04-02-12, 07:55 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

What I meant was cancelling both the left and right side mirror adjustments then the mirrors will not tilt down in reverse.
Old 04-02-12, 07:57 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I believe that on US spec cars, the mirrors will auto-tilt down if the left or right adjustment light is illuminated. If no adjustment light is illuminated, the mirrors won't tilt.
That's what I thought - my wife's Infiniti works like that, and I believe my dad's MBs and my mom's LX does the same. I'll go check it again right now. I think something is wrong...
Old 04-02-12, 08:11 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Yeah... it's busted

When the right side mirror is selected and I put the car in reverse, the left mirror tilts down and out
When the left side mirror is selected and I put the car in reverse, nothing happens.

Yes, you read that right. Makes no sense at all.

Also, on my quiet street at night I noticed that the engine is pretty noisy - I thought it'd be smoother at idle. But not a big deal, I'll chalk that up as a benefit of having a beast on my driveway rather than as a bad thing
Old 04-02-12, 08:15 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

I disable the tilting mirrors because when I back up my steep driveway a mirror tilted down shows me nothing.
Old 04-02-12, 08:16 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

I disable the tilting mirrors because when I back up my steep driveway a mirror tilted down shows me nothing.
If only somehow you can program them to point up
Old 04-02-12, 08:18 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Where did you change the programming on it? I haven't checked the manual yet - but the salesperson and I couldn't find anything in the menus.

M
Old 04-02-12, 08:22 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

^^^
I disable the tilting mirrors by simply making sure neither the left nor right mirror adjustment light is illuminated by hitting the button for the lit side again.
Old 04-02-12, 08:37 PM
mehran888
Advanced

^^^
I disable the tilting mirrors by simply making sure neither the left nor right mirror adjustment light is illuminated by hitting the button for the lit side again.
Ok thanks. I thought there was a setting in the menus. I might just do that for now. Having the left mirror move and point outwards while the right mirror is selected is just plain odd.

Arrrgh.. I love the car, and kind of expected some issues. But it is frustrating. I guess that's what you get with all the electronic complexity in these vehicles.
Old 04-02-12, 09:29 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

my mirrors point in towards the car and then down, which seems kind of dumb to me. in a parking in a lot i don't need the function when parking at a curb it helps but rotates to damn slow i'm parked before the mirrors tilt in then down.
Old 07-13-12, 04:22 PM
RG3toDC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been noticing that my mirror don't tilt anymore. Am i just not noticing it. Is there a setting i can change? Does it only work at night? Oops i notice this is the GS thread, i have an IS

Last edited by RG3toDC; 07-13-12 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-13-12, 05:00 PM
GtiB
Driver

Alright here u go folks ..
U start the engine
Put it on reverse
Select from ur door panels the side mirror u wanna adjust
Move the side mirror to the point u want using the arrows
And thats it
When u put it into drive. The mirror will go back to the original setup
And when u put it on reverse ur mirrors will till