GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Mark Levinson or Lexus Premium Audio

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 12:04 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nantang
Pop-up speakers? Does this mean that luxury cars are now getting into an arms race of ridiculously high end audio? Mark Levinson will have to fire back by hiring Bono, The Edge, several members of the London Symphony Orchestra's string section, and that guy with the spiky hair who sings for The Crüxshadows (his name is Rogue) to take turns in my car's back seat to perform live.
The Audi A8 already comes with pop-up speakers with the B&O system. It has for some time. Nothing new, although new to this class.
Old 05-23-12, 04:44 AM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Phun4GS
I am very disappointed that the ML system does not decode DTS
I am as well!!! One of the main reasons I got the ML.

If you mainly listen to satellite radio you would be wasting money upgrading to ML. ML is so clear you will actually hear more of the compression and it might actually sound worse than the premium sound system (I never listen to satellite radio because of the terrible sound quality from the compression). FM actually sounds very good.

In the 3GS the premium sound system was barely acceptable in my opinion, and getting the ML was a must. In the 4GS the premium sound system is actually quite good. The main reason I got the ML was because I have a lot of DTS encoded music discs (DVD and CD) and this damn system won't even play them.

I am somewhat disappointed with this ML. It seems that all of the Green Edge hype was just marketing rhetoric as the system doesn't sound as rich as it did in my LS.
Old 05-23-12, 08:33 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gkcmilner
I am as well!!! One of the main reasons I got the ML.

If you mainly listen to satellite radio you would be wasting money upgrading to ML. ML is so clear you will actually hear more of the compression and it might actually sound worse than the premium sound system (I never listen to satellite radio because of the terrible sound quality from the compression). FM actually sounds very good.
You're right about this. I had a loaner car with the premium sound system while I was waiting for my GS F Sport. When I first got in the loaner and turned on XM it was set to a classical station. I was blown away by how great it sounded. Not so much with the Mark Levinson system in my F sport. To my ear, XM actually sounds better in the premium system than in the Mark Levinson system.

However, IPod and MP3s sound fantastic and that's almost all I listen to.
Old 05-28-12, 12:10 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually ML is worth it and much much better. All i can say is you will never regret opting for it.

B&O is setup differently in different Audi's. In the lower end Audi's like the A4 , Q3 they don't sound all the good. But I can say ML is much better than B&O and the stock pioneer system in Lexus.
Old 05-29-12, 07:08 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In actuality, depend on the media that you are using. If you are using SiriusXM, then there is minimal difference between the premium and stock. I have had Bose, B&O, Harman Kardon, and ML in past cars. If you have a premium top of the line automobile, there is no doubt that the premium stereo outclasses the base stereos. In the lower end autos, the configuration of the premium stereo does not provide better sound. I have compared the B&O system in the Audi Q5 and the A8 - there is a major difference. In the GS, for what I listen to, the base stereo is more than enough as my daily commuter. If I would use the car for weekends or not as a daily drive, like my Porsche Panamera in which the Burmeister stereo is one of the best that I have listened too. It is truly a symphony on wheels!
Old 05-30-12, 11:25 AM
abacomike
Driver School Candidate

Drove a GS4 without Mark Levinson and one with. Once you hear both, one right after the other, you end up getting the Mark Levinson. We have lots of HD FM stations down here in Florida, and that's where you hear the major difference. Especially with percussion instruments and guitars/strings. Clear and Crisp.

Hope everyone realizes you need to adjust Treble, Midrange and BAse for each and every source of Audio - i.e., XM, Disc, Pandora/iHeart, FM, etc. Then, bring the BASE down to 1 or 2 with Treble and Midrange all the way up. There is a marked improvement in the sound. Levinson is usually too bassy for me.

I had Harman Karmin in my Mercedes Benz E350 2012, and I must say it is much better sound in the Mercedes than with Mark Levinson in the GS4. Both systems are made my Harman, but one would think that with 200 more watts and 3 more speakers, Levinson would be superior - but it is not.

The standard sound system is much too flat for me.
Old 06-04-12, 07:27 PM
JOELC
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the 350f Sport for approx 1 month now. I did not get the ML upgrade because I did not think I would be into music like I was in my 20's and 30's when I would rip the stereos out of my cars to upgrade them with top line $5-$10k after market systems. I have to say that the Premium 12 speaker system that comes standard in the 350F is phenomenal! The bass is there on all levels and the treble is great as well.

It 100% depends on the medium and songs you listen to. Some of the best music is unfortunately recorded back in the day when hi fidelity was not around. If you truly want to test your system I would suggest anything from ZZ Tops Greatest Hits. All songs are recorded exceptionally well. Another great "album" is Michael Jackson's Bad. Spin the song "Jam" off that album from CD or Ipod and you will know what your system is like in the first 60 seconds.

I am sure the ML Kicks ***, but in all honesty the Premium system rocks unbelievably well in my opinion!
Old 06-04-12, 08:00 PM
JOELC
Rookie

Hey guys, I have had the 350f Sport for approx 1 month now. I did not get the ML upgrade because I did not think I would be into music like I was in my 20's and 30's when I would rip the stereos out of my cars to upgrade them with top line $5-$10k after market systems. I have to say that the Premium 12 speaker system that comes standard in the 350F is phenomenal! The bass is there on all levels and the treble is great as well.

It 100% depends on the medium and songs you listen to. Some of the best music is unfortunately recorded back in the day when hi fidelity was not around. If you truly want to test your system I would suggest anything from ZZ Tops Greatest Hits. All songs are recorded exceptionally well. Another great "album" is Michael Jackson's Bad. Spin the song "Jam" off that album from CD or Ipod and you will know what your system is like in the first 60 seconds.

I am sure the ML Kicks ***, but in all honesty the Premium system rocks unbelievably well in my opinion!
Old 06-04-12, 08:09 PM
JOELC
Rookie

Originally Posted by mehran888
Hey guys - hope this isn't a thread hijack here, but I searched elsewhere and couldn't find the answer, so prior to opening up a new forum:

What do you guys find are the optimal sound settings (both ML and premium). I have an F-Sport with premium... and frankly the sound is disappointing. I've been playing music off my iPhone (bluetooth, and plugged in) as well as XM.

I know.. not the greatest sources - but I honestly feel that the sound in my wife's EX35 (Bose) is better. I always thought Bose was just a name - and that the premium Lexus sound system would be better than her Infiniti.

Let me know if there are any tweaks that can be made. When I got the car it had both bass and treble cranked, which was odd. I adjusted them a bit, but only minor improvements.
My settings work really nice with me. My ears are very sensitive to the right sound. Try this set up:

Max the treble, maybe one or two from the top and the Bass one or two notches past the middle. You have to turn the "Surround Sound" ON and leave the other button ( I think it is something for auto equalizer) OFF. Give that a try.

Search online for a free download of Michael Jackson's JAM off the Bad album. (I know, I know, but honestly, it is one of the BEST recorded songs you will find to test your system). Listen to it around a volume of 55 right from the start and you will know what I mean!

Let me know how it goes!
Old 06-05-12, 04:55 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

ML or go HOME!
Old 07-05-12, 12:12 PM
kssod
Rookie

The ml is 800 w amp, does anyone know the power output of the base, and speaker tone/ quality compared to say, infinity, or BA aftermarket.
Old 07-05-12, 08:04 PM
GVVTS
Rookie

Premium sound system:

299 watts of power

12 speakers
—Two 90 mm tweeter/speaker assemblies mounted on either side of the instrument panel

—One 90 mm speaker mounted on the upper surface of the center instrument panel

—Two 180 mm woofers mounted on the lower trim of each front door

—Two 25 mm tweeters mounted on upper trim of each rear door

—Two 160 mm speakers mounted on the lower trim of each rear door

—One 250 mm woofer mounted on the rear package tray trim
Old 07-05-12, 08:22 PM
Bambarbia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiefguy
hi...i've heard mixed reviews on the new ML audio system in the GS...I've had 2 Lexus' in the past (ES300, GS300 and IS350) and could never get the ML in the northeast area....I always thought the Lexus regular stereo (aka "premium") was just fair.....i've now have an Infiniti and the Bose system is great....i'm going back to lexus...GS and wanted a ML for the first time...but reading a lot of mixed reactions.....any thoughts would be helpful..thanks
First of all, speakers, especially top-notch such as Mark Levinson, also need Warm-Up period, about 1000 hours in average, at middle-moderate power... Do not believe any reviews.

My car is new, GS350, 350 km only, but I am hearing already that XM sounds like mono, crap... And digital FM is many times better... But don't trust to any "review" based on not-yet-braking-in speakers... Right now I feel old Corolla sounded better; but I am sure sound will change in few weeks.
Old 07-05-12, 08:32 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JOELC
My settings work really nice with me. My ears are very sensitive to the right sound. Try this set up:

Max the treble, maybe one or two from the top and the Bass one or two notches past the middle. You have to turn the "Surround Sound" ON and leave the other button ( I think it is something for auto equalizer) OFF. Give that a try.

Search online for a free download of Michael Jackson's JAM off the Bad album. (I know, I know, but honestly, it is one of the BEST recorded songs you will find to test your system). Listen to it around a volume of 55 right from the start and you will know what I mean!

Let me know how it goes!
i beg to differ young man,,, i used Songbirds by Kenny G,,,try that one for some crisp sound.
Old 07-05-12, 08:42 PM
Bambarbia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i beg to differ young man,,, i used Songbirds by Kenny G,,,try that one for some crisp sound.
On my Mac OS , same song bought from iTunes sound much better nd clearer by Songbird... But iTunes on MacOS is not the same as GS350 software... I tried www.di.fm 256kbps subscription via iPhone Internet a GS350, sounds better than regular songs from iTunes... USB connection to ML...

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson or Lexus Premium Audio