Mark Levinson or Lexus Premium Audio

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-12, 05:04 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zoombie99
B & O is just flash.
The B&O system in the Audi S5 I traded for my GS was actually very good and clear, with punchy bass.
Old 05-11-12, 05:20 PM
Howiiieee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark Levinson audio is a must for me. See my review on a previous post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-review-3.html
Old 05-11-12, 05:49 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I just ordered an F-Sport with ML. I drove my last Lexus for over 18 years, and what is $1300 over the long term?
Old 05-11-12, 07:21 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ECL
I just ordered an F-Sport with ML. I drove my last Lexus for over 18 years, and what is $1300 over the long term?
Most of the 4th gen owners gonna keep their car 3-4 years. I have a 3gs and no ml. Its good enough for me i cant complain.
Old 05-11-12, 09:41 PM
patbateman
Driver School Candidate

ML definitely makes a clear difference but it obviously depends on the quality of the audio source.

CD's or lossless mp3s sound much better than compressed music .

If you are an audiophile the difference is night and day.

Radio or Sat. is not going to sound better because the source is inferior to CD, but that should be clear.
Old 05-11-12, 09:46 PM
patbateman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zoombie99
If you listen to mostly XM, there may not be a major improvement.
XM/Sir radio may sound WORSE on a ML system because the signal is highly compressed.
Old 05-11-12, 11:12 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by wlmngtn310
I would say yes. I have a non ML on my 4GS and the sound system sucks! My bose on the Infiniti sounded 100x better.
The non-ML head unit is made by Pioneer. (With your car running, hold the "Menu" button from your left button of the car's mouse and turn the headlights on and off simultaneously 3-4 times)
Old 05-12-12, 02:10 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by faifai83
The non-ML head unit is made by Pioneer. (With your car running, hold the "Menu" button from your left button of the car's mouse and turn the headlights on and off simultaneously 3-4 times)
What's that supposed to reveal?
Old 05-12-12, 06:58 AM
zoombie99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Just don't try it on a highway rest area
Old 05-12-12, 09:23 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
The non-ML head unit is made by Pioneer...
Old 05-12-12, 11:47 AM
yell01
Driver School Candidate

I had ML in my 3GS and went to listen to the ML vs. non-ML the other day. The non-ML sounded good but the ML blew it away. Very crisp and clean. I'm getting it in my 4GS for sure. I'm in sales and spend a lot of time in the car so it's worth it for me.
Old 05-12-12, 02:08 PM
MarkGS
Rookie

I have always been a fan of the Lexus premium audio system. I had the Nakamichi system in my first Lexus, a '97 ES300, and thoroughly enjoyed the quality of redbook CDs played on the ML system that came with my first GS, a 2nd Gen 2003 GS430. Then in 2008, the ML system featured the ability to read both DVD-A and DTS 5.1 format. I just happened to have a sizeable collection of DVD-A, DTS and SACD (which are not playable on any car audio I'm familiar with), which was a big motivation to purchase a 3rd gen 2008 GS460 w/ML.

Although the ML system was still outstanding on the 2008 GS, it didn't properly decode DVD-A and that in itself was annoying. However, DTS played beautifully in 5.1. So my DTS collection got larger, even when duplicating titles I already owned in DVD-A.

I auditioned the 4th Gen GS with ML and determined all of the issues from the 3rd Gen GS were resolved and got nice discrete playback in 5.1. For those of you who have never listened to a DVD-A, you are missing out. And I personally feel all alone in this area.

Even though I was impressed with the ML in the 4GS (and I would definitely get one if I were to pick up a new GS), I didn't feel it had a deep enough bottom end compared to previous generations of ML systems. I also was kind of disappointed it had become a single disc player, but its probably a minor issue.

Instead, I ended up going with a 2012 LS 460 Sport with the ML. This system sounded better than any I had experienced before.

Caveat: With my new LS, and I suspect the GS is the same, some DVD-As would not play properly - repeatedly starting the track over and over after 3 seconds of playback. I eventually found a setting to turn AutoPlay off, which completely resolved the issue. Lexus is still looking into why this happens and what Auto Play is suppose to do (the only difference is it resolved my issue).

One other note, I learned that the Nav/DVD player is manufactured by a company called Denso. Denso reviewed the issue and referred Lexus to Pioneer. So it appears that Pioneer also manufactures the player portion for ML systems. At least that appears to be the case with current model LS. Also, what I have been told, the only part that ML provides is the amplification and speakers. I suspect the decoding is done by the player.

My lengthy post is to provide more info, but I definitely would go ML, especially for its ability to playback DVD-A/DTS 5.1.

I would be very curious if anyone else in the forum appreciates DVD-A, and if there have been any issues like I experienced with the ML system. If so, I would be happy to help guide you through how I was able to find the resolution (despite Lexus service running around in circles accomplishing nothing).
Old 05-12-12, 04:25 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

The ML in my old 3GS was good quality, but lacked power.
In the new 4GS with a lot more audio power, the Mark Levinson is stunning.
I'm an audiophile; I'd buy it...
Old 05-12-12, 04:26 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkGS
I have always been a fan of the Lexus premium audio system. I had the Nakamichi system in my first Lexus, a '97 ES300, and thoroughly enjoyed the quality of redbook CDs played on the ML system that came with my first GS, a 2nd Gen 2003 GS430. Then in 2008, the ML system featured the ability to read both DVD-A and DTS 5.1 format. I just happened to have a sizeable collection of DVD-A, DTS and SACD (which are not playable on any car audio I'm familiar with), which was a big motivation to purchase a 3rd gen 2008 GS460 w/ML.

Although the ML system was still outstanding on the 2008 GS, it didn't properly decode DVD-A and that in itself was annoying. However, DTS played beautifully in 5.1. So my DTS collection got larger, even when duplicating titles I already owned in DVD-A.

I auditioned the 4th Gen GS with ML and determined all of the issues from the 3rd Gen GS were resolved and got nice discrete playback in 5.1. For those of you who have never listened to a DVD-A, you are missing out. And I personally feel all alone in this area.

Even though I was impressed with the ML in the 4GS (and I would definitely get one if I were to pick up a new GS), I didn't feel it had a deep enough bottom end compared to previous generations of ML systems. I also was kind of disappointed it had become a single disc player, but its probably a minor issue.

Instead, I ended up going with a 2012 LS 460 Sport with the ML. This system sounded better than any I had experienced before.

Caveat: With my new LS, and I suspect the GS is the same, some DVD-As would not play properly - repeatedly starting the track over and over after 3 seconds of playback. I eventually found a setting to turn AutoPlay off, which completely resolved the issue. Lexus is still looking into why this happens and what Auto Play is suppose to do (the only difference is it resolved my issue).

One other note, I learned that the Nav/DVD player is manufactured by a company called Denso. Denso reviewed the issue and referred Lexus to Pioneer. So it appears that Pioneer also manufactures the player portion for ML systems. At least that appears to be the case with current model LS. Also, what I have been told, the only part that ML provides is the amplification and speakers. I suspect the decoding is done by the player.

My lengthy post is to provide more info, but I definitely would go ML, especially for its ability to playback DVD-A/DTS 5.1.

I would be very curious if anyone else in the forum appreciates DVD-A, and if there have been any issues like I experienced with the ML system. If so, I would be happy to help guide you through how I was able to find the resolution (despite Lexus service running around in circles accomplishing nothing).
I have DVD-As from back in 2004 when I had an Acura TL with the Elliot Scheiner 5.1 Surround Sound system. They play fine in my 4GS and sound fantastic.
Old 05-12-12, 06:05 PM
zoombie99
Pole Position

I see everyone's point but I don't think I need it if I listen to XM most of the time.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson or Lexus Premium Audio