Parted ways after three weeks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-12, 11:27 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
To O.P,

No worries. Its your happiness that matters the most!!
Thanks!

I traded in my 2011 BMW 535i xdrive for the GS F-sport. The BMW felt sloppy, choppy, numb, and isolating and its a weird car all together and un-BMW like.
I've never driven one but I heard the same.

The GS is amazing, smooth, sharp, exhilarating, and advance in every way.
Agreed!

The rear room space is a huge step over the older GS and the 5.
Even though the documented specs seems to support your opinion, I still find it hard to believe that the rear room in the 4G is more spacious than the 5 Series.

I am happy to say that the Lexus feels and rides better than the BMW 5 and E-Class and even the A6.
I've never driven the A6 or BMW 5 but the 4G blows away the E Class without a doubt!
Old 03-30-12, 03:44 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To O.P,

No worries. Its your happiness that matters the most!! I traded in my 2011 BMW 535i xdrive for the GS F-sport. The BMW felt sloppy, choppy, numb, and isolating and its a weird car all together and un-BMW like. The GS is amazing, smooth, sharp, exhilarating, and advance in every way. The rear room space is a huge step over the older GS and the 5. My father who is 5'11 can now fit in the rear seat with enough leg room than my BMW 5. I am happy to say that the Lexus feels and rides better than the BMW 5 and E-Class and even the A6.
And I say you are completely insane! I have driven both and the handling precision and confidence crushes the Lexus, and provides the confidence to take corners much faster.

Must be a matter of opinion rather than true or false. In these cases, best for each to form their own opinion.
Old 03-30-12, 05:45 PM
gyung
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
And I say you are completely insane! I have driven both and the handling precision and confidence crushes the Lexus, and provides the confidence to take corners much faster.

Must be a matter of opinion rather than true or false. In these cases, best for each to form their own opinion.
I guess it is a matter of opinion, because most places I've seen them measure slalom speeds the 4GS came out ahead. I've driven them back to back and I saw the exact opposite, the 535 had tons of body roll and had no precision.

GS350 F-sport :
weight 3825lbs 0-60 5.5s 1/4mile 14s@100.9mph 60-0 105ft skidpad .91g slalom 25.7s

E60 535i M-sport :
weight 3844lbs 0-60 5.5s 1/4mile 14.1s@100.6mph 60-0 112ft skidpad 0.85g slalom 26.5s

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rspective.html
Old 03-30-12, 06:00 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*

Not really. The BMW 5 is very bloaty and numb. The engine is with terrible lag. The suspension cannot keep car planted on our highways in Michigan and cannot keep car in lane well. Its overrall the worst car I have ever owned. I have a 2006 Audi A8L and a 2008 BMW 335xi coupe and they both triumph the new 5 and even the new GS feels more sharper and more fluid overall than then 5. I can take corners much faster with my F-sport than the 5. The 5 needs runflats to keep it sharp handling.

The GS does better than the older 5! The new 5 never mentioned, why because its terrible!

UPDATE 2 :
For interest I also added the F10 535i and 550i performance numbers and they're all in the updated attached document.

Of note is that the weight of the heavy V8 in the nose of the 550i REALLY penalizes the 550i's handling. Despite the massive advantage in hp/torque and far better 0-60/quarter mile times, it was still half a second slower than the GS350 in the slalom.

Another interesting point is that Motortrend NEVER tested the slalom time of the F10 535i or else never published it. I wonder if BMW deliberately leaned on MT to suppress such information as it didn't want the F10 to look bad next to the older E60
Old 03-30-12, 07:31 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Re: the 4GS's handling vs. the 5 Series, this article says it all...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...modern-warfare

I especially like this statement...

"With a punchy 3.5-liter V-6 engine and the most aggressively tuned adaptive variable suspension to ever grace the marque’s midsize offering, the new GS could single-handedly vault Lexus into the segment’s elite ranks while ridding the luxury brand of any lingering associations it may have with athletic deficiency."

WHO'S insane????

Last edited by dseag2; 03-30-12 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-30-12, 10:28 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i myself think the 4gs is a great improvement (over the 3gs), but somehow i feel that the e still give me more space, and 5 series feel a bit bigger but very close to the 4gs.
The rear room space is a huge step over the older GS and the 5. My father who is 5'11 can now fit in the rear seat with enough leg room than my BMW 5. I am happy to say that the Lexus feels and rides better than the BMW 5 and E-Class and even the A6.

There seems to be conflicting experiences here. So does the 4GS have more rear room or the 5 series?

My personal experience from my initial viewing of the 4GS is that it a huge improvement over the 3GS' rear room but slightly less than the 2GS.
Old 03-31-12, 01:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
There seems to be conflicting experiences here. So does the 4GS have more rear room or the 5 series?

My personal experience from my initial viewing of the 4GS is that it a huge improvement over the 3GS' rear room but slightly less than the 2GS.
huge improvement over the 3gs that's for sure, it's not even a debate. among the new cars, that's why i said it's all personal subjective perception. some people like to argue over numbers and as i mentioned i don't give a damn to that. actual feel in person means more to me. as i said, i think the gs and 5 are very very close, with me feeling the 5 being a bit bigger. i can totally see how others think the gs rear is bigger than 5.

but yes, i still think the 2gs room is ridiculous
Old 03-31-12, 05:20 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Nobody ever compares a GS to a BMW with 4 wheel steering. It makes a dramatic difference to the ride quality on these larger cars. I would be happy to challenge any Miami GS350 driver to a street race to prove my point.
Old 03-31-12, 05:28 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Also skidpad numbers are completely misleading. They are determined by driving the car in a circle until it breaks traction. But how many of us drive our cars at the point where it is literally going to spin out of control.

In practice we drive at cornering speeds which feel fast but still in control. In the Lexus you lose the feeling of stability well before you actually lose traction. That is why even with a lower skidpad number, the BMW can actually be driven faster in a normal setting.
Old 03-31-12, 05:45 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Still doesn't explain the slower slalom times of the 5 series and technically, the fastest slalom times are set when the car DOESN"T break traction.

So from hard empirical data, even when both the 5 series and the 4GS don't break traction, the 5 series still can't corner better(since a slalom is essentially a series of corners to be negotiated).
Old 03-31-12, 12:37 PM
Leo23
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because I sense a certain level of honesty among posters here I'll try this:

Forgoing the sporty nature of the cars, speed, quickness, slalom, etc... How does the 4gs stack up along Audi 6, mb e-class, and BMW 5, (volvo anybody?), in regard to: comfort ride, smoothness, cabin noise level, potholes and bumps, overall luxury feeling...
Any opinion of yours will be highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 03-31-12, 01:24 PM
Liferules
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming off an A6, the 4GS F-sport is much quicker, has not lag-by-wire acceleration, and is as quiet. Handles much tighter. Where I steer, I go. Not as much as much so with the A6. I find the 4GS to be more enjoyable. The seats in the F-sport are awesome. Love the bolsters! And no rattles (several of which I had in the A6). I liked my A6 a lot but this is a much better feeling performance car compared with the A6 IMO. Its firm but not uncomfortable over potholes, etc... but then I never wanted an ES type car.
Old 03-31-12, 01:59 PM
Leo23
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Liferules
Coming off an A6, the 4GS F-sport is much quicker, has not lag-by-wire acceleration, and is as quiet. Handles much tighter. Where I steer, I go. Not as much as much so with the A6. I find the 4GS to be more enjoyable. The seats in the F-sport are awesome. Love the bolsters! And no rattles (several of which I had in the A6). I liked my A6 a lot but this is a much better feeling performance car compared with the A6 IMO. Its firm but not uncomfortable over potholes, etc... but then I never wanted an ES type car.
Aha... the rattles! That's something I truly want to avoid. Didn't know the a6 is prone to such a thing.

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-31-12, 09:23 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo23
Aha... the rattles! That's something I truly want to avoid. Didn't know the a6 is prone to such a thing.

Thanks for your input.
There are quite a few complaints about rattles and squeaks in both the A6 and A7 forums. I have not experienced this at all with my S5, but it has been in production a lot longer.
Old 03-31-12, 09:55 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

The only competition I've spent considerable time in was the E350 sedan. And the Lexus makes the E350 feel downright cheap. Save for the questionably "cheap" trunk on the 4GS, and the plastic door handles (interior), I prefered the 4GS over the E350 in:
  1. Ride and handling - this is subjective, but the 4GS just felt more planted, stable, and not overly sporty
  2. Quality of interior materials (the E350 is laughable, and I'm not just talking about the faux-leather that is standard)
  3. Ergonomics (just try opening the cup holder in the E350 and you'll see why. For a company this old, prestigious, and with this much history... you'd think they'd have some basics down)
  4. Seat comfort

The E350 isn't necessarily a bad car. It was tied with the A6 as my frontrunner (if only the A6 was built well), and imo is probably the 'looker' of the group. But I still couldn't justify it. Even if it had no pricing premium.

Quick Reply: Parted ways after three weeks!