GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Stone chips... Damn

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-12, 09:28 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Angry Stone chips... Damn

as i was washing my car today i noticed a small chip of paint missing on the front bumper. looked some more and found two more on the front bumper. my GS 350 F Sport is starfire pearl. if this keeps up my bumper will be black. any suggestions? my dealer does not install clear bras anymore. was told they were getting to many complaints,,,,,was told that after a while it looks terrible, discoloring etc. do not want to put a black bra on my car. any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-19-12, 09:43 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
as i was washing my car today i noticed a small chip of paint missing on the front bumper. looked some more and found two more on the front bumper. my GS 350 F Sport is starfire pearl. if this keeps up my bumper will be black. any suggestions? my dealer does not install clear bras anymore. was told they were getting to many complaints,,,,,was told that after a while it looks terrible, discoloring etc. do not want to put a black bra on my car. any help will be greatly appreciated.
Go somewhere else for the clear bra. After we had a clear bra on our '94 4Runner, there was no turning back. Every car we've owned since has had it.

My 2001 IS300 was pearl white as well and had one - and it had only minor discoloration after almost 10 years, barely noticeable. And if it does bother you, just change it.

I'm about to order the 2013 GS350 AWD Luxury in starfire pearl - will get the clear bra.
Old 03-19-12, 11:11 PM
x838nwy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888
Go somewhere else for the clear bra. After we had a clear bra on our '94 4Runner, there was no turning back. Every car we've owned since has had it.

My 2001 IS300 was pearl white as well and had one - and it had only minor discoloration after almost 10 years, barely noticeable. And if it does bother you, just change it.

I'm about to order the 2013 GS350 AWD Luxury in starfire pearl - will get the clear bra.
I'm in Thailand so I doubt I can go to the same place as you, but can you tell me the brand of clear bra you used? (3M, Venture, etc.?)

To the OP : I've looked into the matter (my Evo was chipped on like the 2nd day of ownership) and a clear bra is the only solution but I've seen them go yellow and it looks horrible on white cars.
Old 03-19-12, 11:53 PM
tomoshort
Driver School Candidate

On 2/13/12 there was a Thread submitted on "Chipprotect" that resulted in some helpful comments. I spent $1295 for this at Lexus of Tacoma, but they have assured me:
1. They will repair any chips that occur in a protected area.
2. They will pay for a new headlight if broken by a rock.
3. They will replace any film that yellows over the next five years.
So far the Dealer has been totally credible.
I was bottle necked into a situation on a snowy mountain pass where a Semi showered me with gravel- no chips.
The product looks fine on my liquid platinum color.

Last edited by tomoshort; 03-19-12 at 11:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-20-12, 01:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

clear bra all the way. Its the only way to drive and the price on them is so much lower than it was 5-6 years ago
Old 03-20-12, 01:51 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
clear bra all the way. Its the only way to drive and the price on them is so much lower than it was 5-6 years ago
Related to all this - I got quoted $200 for a clear bra (through the broker)... at their cost. Am I getting the right kind?
Old 03-20-12, 01:55 PM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the clear bra. i would also get the headlight/foglight covered too.
Old 03-20-12, 01:59 PM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888
Related to all this - I got quoted $200 for a clear bra (through the broker)... at their cost. Am I getting the right kind?
i'd get more details such as brand of film used and coverage areas (partial hood, bumper, mirrors, etc).

$200 sounds really cheap...are they just quoting material cost and not labor?
Old 03-20-12, 03:03 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am an installer and I cant get material for a standard install for that price. And I buy directly from a distributor and cut my own kits. I would be VERY warry of that deal. Sounds like they are using clear vinyl not paint protection film. They may only be charging you for the hood, fenders, and mirrors as well. You want that and the bumper and lights. Cheap prices are either going to be terrible workmanship (and possibly getting your paint cut) or cheap material... and at that price I would say both.
Old 03-20-12, 03:42 PM
qualityday
Rookie

Go to a place that has the design template done for the GS F-Sport. Have them do it.

Also go with full hood and fenders not partial.

request them to stretch the material and wrap under the hood and all fenders.

I suggest Pro-Tect. It's pricey but the install and quality is second to none.
Old 03-20-12, 04:30 PM
RLGS300
Lead Lap

What happens in the long run if the clear bra is removed after about 5 years of ownership, is there a distinct line visible between the areas protected and unprotected? Im skeptical about getting this done.
Old 03-20-12, 06:38 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't say enough good things about 3M clear bras. I have had one installed on all of our cars for several years now. I wax my cars 2-3 times per year, and wash them once per weeek. As long as you take care of them, you will not have issues, discoloration, ect. Look up installers on 3M's website. They will do a better job than the dealer anyways.
Old 03-20-12, 08:30 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by caveman
+1 on the clear bra. i would also get the headlight/foglight covered too.
In some states, that is not legal (I know that covering the headlights with clear bra in TX is not legal)
Old 03-20-12, 08:59 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Thanks guys - I'll dig in a bit more. Right now I stil haven't finalized the sale with my broker, so there is still some time to talk to them.

I'm in Canada, I'll research whether covering the headlights is legal.

EDIT: Quick research brought me here (Civic forum raving about these guys) in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada (less than 15 minutes from Toronto): http://www.trimlineinc.ca/contact.html

It looks quite legit and professional. I'll pay them a visit before I pick up my 4GS.

Last edited by mehran888; 03-20-12 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-20-12, 10:23 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by x838nwy
I'm in Thailand so I doubt I can go to the same place as you, but can you tell me the brand of clear bra you used? (3M, Venture, etc.?)

To the OP : I've looked into the matter (my Evo was chipped on like the 2nd day of ownership) and a clear bra is the only solution but I've seen them go yellow and it looks horrible on white cars.
yes clear bras can go yellow, but at least i'd rather have a yellow clear bra than rock chips (imho)

Quick Reply: Stone chips... Damn