GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why am I not as EXCITED as you!!??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12, 08:47 AM
LexFather

Wow, great write-up I read the entire thing. Really great to see such enthusiasm.

Some of my thoughts.

1. I can understand how people percieve BMW/Benz higher than Lexus here. Audi still seems to considered Tier 2/midpack here. On the flipside in Europe Audi of course is highly revered and Lexus is seen behind Audi. What we have discussed of course is the reality that with Audi's rise with BMW/Benz's stature makes a solid German 3 whereas from Japan it is completely different as Lexus is by far the leader and the other 2 brands continue to struggle. In America Lexus is without a doubt a Tier 1 brand as evidenced by a decades worth of surveys by the wealthy and general public.

2. Lexus really seems to have hit the ball out the park in regards to the tech, features, interior and the drive. The powertrain and exterior might be weaker points but they are strong enough to still be part of a good package. While the forum is not representational of reality we are seeing many conquest sales here and the feedback is the car is better, not cheaper as some try to imply. Being cheaper is icing on the cake If Lexus continues this focus on all new products it will be a great thing!

3. jjscsix, Lexus has always been known for their attention to detail, the way things open and close, the way the car makes life easier for the driver, the way the wood is selected etc. Unless a change was made to the 2010, my 2007 has a sunglasses holder in the roof up front. The 2010 doesn't have this anymore?
Old 03-15-12, 09:09 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh no, I am not happy about not having that sunglasses holder on the roof like in my 2006 GS!!!!
Old 03-15-12, 09:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
i know and they have it on the RX for all the soccer moms here in the US.
can we knock-off the stereo-typing please?
Old 03-15-12, 09:51 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
can we knock-off the stereo-typing please?
Its not a bad stereotyping but a general observation so sorry if I offended you.
Old 03-15-12, 09:53 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to send a resounding THANKS to all those who appreciated my LONG writeup and provided comments. I wasn't sure how my OP would be perceived but with the exception of one or two comments, everyone offered substantive feedback. The true intent was to address this uneasiness I am feeling which in no way lessens the car itself or the Lexus brand as a whole. Nor does it suggest an area of insecurity since a few posts suggest I care what others think of me.....I addressed that in post #16.

Last edited by GX4704ME; 03-15-12 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-15-12, 10:08 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
I just want to send a resounding THANKS to all those who appreciated my LONG writeup and provided comments. I wasn't sure how my OP would be perceived but with the exception of one or two comments, everyone offered substantive feedback. The true intent was to address this uneasiness I am feeling which in no way lessens the car itself or the Lexus brand as a whole. Nor does it suggest an area of insecurity since a few posts suggest I care what others think of me.....I addressed that in post #16.
You gave a very thorough and honest review and we all respect that. Automobiles are a passion of us and we are bound to have some criticism of them and that we are the ones that help these companies revise their products and become more innovative over the years. So enjoy that car and tint the windows!!
Old 03-15-12, 10:16 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Sorry, meant to post it in the Hi Res Pics thread, but hey you wanted a better looking front end!

I would be interested in your comparison of your GS with the E350, in what ways does the Merc lag that made your wife say that it has nothing on the GS?
Honestly I am not sure! I had the E Class for about a week and all she said was, "This is really nice". Nothing more nothing less. Even when I would stare and admire the car (from the side because the front is meh), her comment was always the same...."It's nice"!

Something came alive in her when she saw the 4G!
Old 03-15-12, 10:39 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
Someone....anyone....please help me get to the root of what's bothering me.
"I do care about the image I portray"
You have answered your own question. As others have said, you miss the "prestige" of driving that Mercedes, and most of all, you miss that 3-pointed star on the hood when you look out through the windshield. I have the perfect solution to your problem........

Old 03-15-12, 10:51 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rjm
You have answered your own question. As others have said, you miss the "prestige" of driving that Mercedes, and most of all, you miss that 3-pointed star on the hood when you look out through the windshield. I have the perfect solution to your problem........

Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-12, 10:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
who cares what others perceive on the lexus brand, what you think of the cars is the key. in my eyes lexus is just the same as bmw and mb. some areas they offer better, some the other brands better. i consider them all equal and it all depends on what i need / want from the car
yeah... i bet people opinions will "improve" once they start reading great reviews on GS and forum posts on other boards, etc, basically when more people drive it.
Old 03-15-12, 10:59 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

I agree with spwolf. I didn;t buy the BMW 5 for the prestige of it but rather the drive and it was dissapointing and so is the E-Class which both are choppy, numb, heavy. So the GS wins hands down from me who drive 20-30k a year. We enjoy the 2006 Audi A8L, 2010 Mercedes ML350, and 2008 BMW 335xi coupe in the garage and the GS trumps them all.
Old 03-15-12, 12:19 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

At the end of the day, test-drive the car for yourself and don't let past glories sway you. A car brand is only as good as it's last ownership experience/test-drive. Lexus caught the Germans napping with the new 4th Generation GS and its initial sales numbers seem to support my claim.

If some professional car reviewers refuse to acknowledge the objective numbers showing the GS350's superiority over the 535i/E350 at a lower price point, well...they'll soon be playing catchup to the savvy car consumers who refuse to be blinded by a roundel or 3 pointed star but instead judge a car based on actual quality and tangible features rather than on nebulous qualities like "heritage/pedigree"(vomit).
Old 03-15-12, 02:44 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by e39ng
I also disappointed about this and also it doesnt have the close assist on the 3GS.
Maybe beause the trunk is actually feel lighter/easier to close then on 3GS so that's why Lexus choose to take out that feature.

My 94 S500 had that feature and it was cute and all, but in reality. Dude if you dont know how to properly close the door without slamming it, lets just say YOU really do need that feature.

Also, to the OP.

I fully understand your fascination with MB cars. Let me assure you it is purely a SNOB thing. Their resale value is bad, reliability record is horrid. So Lexus is a better and smarter vehicle to own. As married guy in his early 30s, I want a car that will last me a few years without trouble so I could make investments into the future.
From an Image point of view, Lexus might not be a MB, especially if you are a car buff and know cars like 540K,Gullwing, 300SLs, 280SE3.5 , 6.9, S600 to name a few. But if you are trying to get the most out of your money, Lexus is yet to be beaten. And I respect that.

Enjoy your new car.
Old 03-15-12, 02:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
My 94 S500 had that feature and it was cute and all, but in reality. Dude if you dont know how to properly close the door without slamming it, lets just say YOU really do need that feature.

Also, to the OP.

I fully understand your fascination with MB cars. Let me assure you it is purely a SNOB thing. Their resale value is bad, reliability record is horrid. So Lexus is a better and smarter vehicle to own. As married guy in his early 30s, I want a car that will last me a few years without trouble so I could make investments into the future.
From an Image point of view, Lexus might not be a MB, especially if you are a car buff and know cars like 540K,Gullwing, 300SLs, 280SE3.5 , 6.9, S600 to name a few. But if you are trying to get the most out of your money, Lexus is yet to be beaten. And I respect that.

Enjoy your new car.
with a heavy door, it's good feature

and i guess you also don't have kids falling asleep on you and you really appreciate the feature with just a slight click
Old 03-15-12, 03:29 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Also, to the OP.

Enjoy your new car.
Yeah I admit that much but hey, if you cant be honest online, where can you be honest! All the points you made are valid and in my heart of hearts I know MB or any German car cannot compete with the intangibles such as resale value and reliability of a Lexus.

Quick Reply: Why am I not as EXCITED as you!!??