Search this Thread

Old 03-01-12, 11:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by faifai83
yes, i believe you get dvd video whether you get ml or not

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
interesting. how do you know this, by the way? just # spkrs?

also, is the ML avail without nav?

man speaks truth. rx ml not anywhere close to ls ml!
the ls and lx both have the ml reference system, their performance is way better than any other lexus with the ml system

but even among other lexus models with ml (outside of ls and lx), they also differ quite a bit

the premium audio in the rx450h i drove recently was terrible, imo. my ford explorer audio was head and shoulders better.
yup, i have had a new rx loaner with premium and there is really nothing to write home about. i have never tried a ml system on the new rx though, they are so uncommon here in CA
Old 03-02-12, 12:27 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bitkahuna]also, is the ML avail without nav?
For Lexus cars for the Philippine market, ML was available on the 3GS (GS460) and is currently available on the LS (460L and 600hL) as well as the LX570, GX460 as well as the one-and-only LFA in the country (which is not for sale :P). Also for the record, as of January 2012, all Lexus Manila vehicles DO NOT come with navigation. GPS Navigation is currently not available on Lexus vehicles in my country.

Anyways, I've heard the audio when I was inside the GS460 last year. Audio sounded really great and bluetooth reception was done well (the audio for phone calls was really audible). That's what a branded sound system can do for you

On the other hand, I tried the audio when I test drove the 2nd-gen IS (IS300 here for us), the sound was alright................but being Premium Sound System only, it didn't have what it took to beat or even match with the 14-speaker ML audio system for the 3rd-gen GS (GS460).

It slightly pissed me off because Lexus Brunei offers Mark Levinson..........and they don't have NAV. It felt kinda disappointing that there is no option to upgrade and choose the higher-end sound system.

Anyways, if you're coming from 4 speaker or 6 speaker systems, then you will find Lexus Premium Audio to be amazing. However, for more demanding buyers and those who want and expect more, Premium Audio is NOT ENOUGH.

To the thread starter:
Get Mark Levinson (even if you have to wait longer or if it costs more). You ask for more, you want more hence you deserve more. The difference between Mark Levinson over Premium Audio is like night-and-day.

Go Mark Levinson
Old 03-02-12, 12:46 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i just got 2IS, and to me, it seems my 3GS had considerably nicer sound. It is not bad, just not as good... or is my memory playing tricks on me?
The ML in the 3rd Gen from 06-11 was not that great. It sounded good but surprisingly the 2nd Gen IS ML sounds way better. Even the improved Premium Audio on the 2011-12 IS sounds better than all the audio offerings for 3rd Gen GS.

i

also, is the ML avail without nav?
From what I was told no. Not sure about the other world markets.

![/QUOTE]

the premium audio in the rx450h i drove recently was terrible, imo. my ford explorer audio was head and shoulders better.
Yeah, i have to agree with you. The Premium Audio in my 2004 IS 300 sounds better than that!
Old 03-02-12, 12:52 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by rominl
yes, i believe you get dvd video whether you get ml or not
Correct, DVD is playable for Premium Audio w/Nav models.

Originally Posted by Blackraven
For Lexus cars for the Philippine market, ML was available on the 3GS (GS460) and is currently available on the LS (460L and 600hL) as well as the LX570, GX460 as well as the one-and-only LFA in the country (which is not for sale :P). Also for the record, as of January 2012, all Lexus Manila vehicles DO NOT come with navigation. GPS Navigation is currently not available on Lexus vehicles in my country.
Lexus of Manila's LFA has NAV but there is no mapping data for PI, so the only thing that shows up is the compass and coordinates.

Anyways, I've heard the audio when I was inside the GS460 last year. Audio sounded really great and bluetooth reception was done well (the audio for phone calls was really audible). That's what a branded sound system can do for you
Yeah that was when the car was parked, try driving around or going highway speeds, the bluetooth starts to become echoey on the other end.

It slightly pissed me off because Lexus Brunei offers Mark Levinson..........and they don't have NAV. It felt kinda disappointing that there is no option to upgrade and choose the higher-end sound system.
Thats sort of like here in the US, you were able to order ML on a non nav IS 250/350.
Old 03-02-12, 03:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The ML in the 3rd Gen from 06-11 was not that great. It sounded good but surprisingly the 2nd Gen IS ML sounds way better. Even the improved Premium Audio on the 2011-12 IS sounds better than all the audio offerings for 3rd Gen GS.

dunno, my 2009 IS220d and it doesnt sound as good.. it is pretty different than my 3GS system too, sounds better with surround settings, where my 3GS was much better with surround off. I remember having really good input with radio, while in IS seems like CD is only way to go. Maybe it is because i had vais ipod adapter with 3GS, not sure, but in my memory, it was much clearer overall.
Old 03-02-12, 03:57 AM
jdh62
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There seem to be mixed reviews on the ML systems. Has anyone upgraded their audio systems with after-market products? If so, can I ask how much would be a reasonable cost to improve the sound significantly?
Old 03-02-12, 05:01 AM
js619858
Pole Position

I love the ML in the ISF! I think the reason people don't like the ML is because of bass but the ML is clear and loud enough. Most people are young and like the music with more bass but I prefer a clear system. Infinite has Bose which is great for bass but I prefer the ML, I don't need it that loud with that much bass.
Old 03-02-12, 08:20 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by spwolf
dunno, my 2009 IS220d and it doesnt sound as good.. it is pretty different than my 3GS system too, sounds better with surround settings, where my 3GS was much better with surround off. I remember having really good input with radio, while in IS seems like CD is only way to go. Maybe it is because i had vais ipod adapter with 3GS, not sure, but in my memory, it was much clearer overall.
Yeah everyone has different sound tastes. 2nd Gen IS ML sounds better than the 3rd Gen GS here in the USA.

Originally Posted by jdh62
There seem to be mixed reviews on the ML systems. Has anyone upgraded their audio systems with after-market products? If so, can I ask how much would be a reasonable cost to improve the sound significantly?
The ML speakers are paired up well with the factory ML amp that if you were to use aftermarket speakers and bypass the factory ML amp, you actually get poor sound quality. The ML system is optimized so well that changing it with aftermarket speakers and components screws it up.
Old 03-02-12, 10:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by js619858
I love the ML in the ISF! I think the reason people don't like the ML is because of bass but the ML is clear and loud enough. Most people are young and like the music with more bass but I prefer a clear system. Infinite has Bose which is great for bass but I prefer the ML, I don't need it that loud with that much bass.
I tried B&O in A4 and Dynaudio in S80 and both were actually mediocre with radio input.
Old 03-21-12, 03:51 PM
itruns
Driver

Originally Posted by Blackraven
For the 4th generation GS, the gap between Lexus Premium Audio and Lexus-Mark Levinson is bigger.

For 3GS, 12 speakers (non-ML) versus 14 speakers (ML). For the 4GS, it's 12 speakers (non-ML) versus 17 speakers (ML)

Avoid Lexus Premium Audio if possible. Go Mark Levinson or go home.........
I think, based on hearing both the "base Premium Audio " and a 2 year old ML system one after another, the 2013 base system sounds everybit as good if not better than the previous gen ML. The new 2013 ML sounds better of course, but probably 98-99% are going to be thrilled with the standard Lexus Premium Audio.
Old 03-21-12, 06:12 PM
qualityday
Rookie

I wish I got the ML as I think the new stock system is just ok.

For people like myself who want to go aftermarket are there any issues with everything being fiber optic?
Old 03-21-12, 07:28 PM
a6s
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fiber optic? DvD bypass...

Originally Posted by qualityday
I wish I got the ML as I think the new stock system is just ok.

For people like myself who want to go aftermarket are there any issues with everything being fiber optic?
What kind of shop would wire this up for you? Is there a local place you go to? Like Al&Ed's autosound? I went to them for a DVD bypass system & they quoted me $2,000 installed
Old 03-21-12, 09:11 PM
qualityday
Rookie

So many quality places to go. 2000.00 is silly. I was quoted 900 for the bypass.

I know with fiber optics you can run into snags I don't want to be the ginny pig.

i do want a new sound system that interacts with the stock functions.

I heard the ML and love it! hands down puts previous years versions to shame. It's clear and flawless. I just didn't want to wait 3 months for it.
Old 03-21-12, 09:44 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itruns
I think, based on hearing both the "base Premium Audio " and a 2 year old ML system one after another, the 2013 base system sounds everybit as good if not better than the previous gen ML. The new 2013 ML sounds better of course, but probably 98-99% are going to be thrilled with the standard Lexus Premium Audio.
I totally agree! I am an audio snob and have opted for premium audio in every car I've owned. On previous Lexus vehicles I had ML, on Previous German vehicles I had Harmon Kardon, on previous Acura I had Elliot Scheiner, etc...........

The Lexus 4G is the first car I've owned where I couldn't justify kicking out an extra $1500 for the upgraded stereo. By no means am I saying ML doesn't sound great. However, Lexus has really closed the gap between ML and their premium stereo offerings. To any one straddling the fence I'd say get the ML if you take comfort in simply knowing it's there when you need it. For the rest i'd say you will not feel a void by not having ML. I listen to a variety of music from Classical to Jazz to Hip Hop to Deadmau5 and it all sounds great! Regardless of what I am listening to I typically like lots of bass and even at high volumes their's no distortion.

If ML is a 10, Premium Audio is definitely an 8!
Old 03-21-12, 10:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by a6s
What kind of shop would wire this up for you? Is there a local place you go to? Like Al&Ed's autosound? I went to them for a DVD bypass system & they quoted me $2,000 installed
al & ed? lol i should just try not to say much. their work... oh well

and 2000? i would bet for that price they still can't do it right.

Originally Posted by qualityday
So many quality places to go. 2000.00 is silly. I was quoted 900 for the bypass.

I know with fiber optics you can run into snags I don't want to be the ginny pig.

i do want a new sound system that interacts with the stock functions.

I heard the ML and love it! hands down puts previous years versions to shame. It's clear and flawless. I just didn't want to wait 3 months for it.
even at 900 it's crazy imho.

prestigious society will likely do the testing on the override very soon, if that happens their stuff for current lexus models are all JUST in the 350 range. not to mention everything is plug and play and no wire cutting

Quick Reply: Lexus Premium Audio