GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2-11-12 - GS Performance Tour - Fontana, CA

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12, 09:56 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default 2-11-12 - GS Performance Tour - Fontana, CA

Here are some pics I took from Saturday's GS Performance Tour at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana. It was a shame that the weather took a turn for the worst, but it did allow people to experience how well the New GS handles in inclement weather. Because spaces are very limited, the GS Performance Tour is by invite/RSVP only. If you're fortunate to get the R.S.V.P., you will be amazed how the new GS handles in comparison to the competition. This event is not advertised anywhere.

More to come...

Old 02-13-12, 12:25 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It was a really good event. Rain was not much of a factor in the morning session when I went, but it was completely drenching the courses right as I left. I check my facebook, and a bunch of CL members had checked in. Sadly, I was stuck with an older bunch who clearly didn't want to experience the performance aspect of this vehicle. I was a bit bummed that the IS F pace car didn't push it hard on the track course because it was as dry as can possibly be before noon, but the GS held its own on the course.

When checking out the GS 350, I was impressed with the interior makeover. The dashboard, center console, and overall luxury feel was a vast improvement over the 3GS. Of course the enormous on dash screen was a marvel, and could easily be seen with such clarity. One detractor that I did not like so much was the temp controls. I was fiddling with it prior to my taking on the road courses, and I didn't really like having to press and hold to get the temperature the way I wanted; I would have preferred a turn-style **** as was the case for radio and entertainment . When driving, the ride was smooth, even when taking turns hard. It was pretty quiet in the cabin as always, and that nice mix of sport feel and luxury comfort was experienced throughout the various courses.

When I did the walk around of the vehicle, I was looking to see how much more sporty Lexus was going to make this vehicle. In comparison, the MB E350 looked like it was trying to hard to be seen with its lines and styling cues; I preferred the previous generation E-class styling myself. It also drove a bit more rigid with it being more front heavy.I also wasn't feeling the gear lever in the vicinity of the steering wheel, as opposed to the typical center console location. The BMW 535i looked appealing and drove quite nicely, but the weight when taking those corners made it more difficult to move and keep a good pace to the course. Tire noise on both were prevalent, whereas the GS was quiet but still powerful on every sharp turn. And what caught my eye with the F-sport wasn't the look of the front, but instead the 235/265 tires that come from the factory. And it has the same size tire widths as the IS F (19 x 8.0/ 19 x 9.0).

It was a much more performance-oriented driving experience from when I drove the 3GS, and I can see how this generation should compete well in the segment against the E class and 5 series. My gf wanted to sit in the rear to compare the legroom to my IS F, and she could easily stretch her legs without her knees even coming close to hitting the back of the driver seat, even when it had been set all the way back by the driver in front of me.

Great event regardless of weather!
Old 03-01-12, 11:41 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

How long did it take to get the coupon from Lexus after the event?

Was it sent via snail mail or e-mail?
Old 03-01-12, 11:42 AM
gyung
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by faifai83
How long did it take to get the coupon from Lexus after the event?

Was it sent via snail mail or e-mail?
I received mine through email in about a week.