GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS350 F-sport test drive review

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 12:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default GS350 F-sport test drive review

I attended the GS event at Longo Lexus yesterday evening and test drove the F-sport. First of all I just want to say thank you to Longo Lexus for hosting such a fantastic event. It was very well planned, food was great, staff were helpful, and having 3-4 cars for test drive made it very easy for potential customers to understand and try out the cars.

Before anything, I want to say that I don't really care that much about paper spec racing or whatever magazine reviewers say. They are reference points, but when I test drive and review, I focus more on how I feel as a driver and how it fits my kind of driving. In my opinion that's the biggest thing on whether a car is good or not. It doesn't have to be the fastest car out there or pull the highest Gs, but if I feel confident and comfortable driving the car, that's the car for me.

Exterior

I still have a long way to warm up to the exterior and seeing it in person didn't help. My biggest problem is still the lack of coherence and flow throughout the design. Everyone notices the aggressive front end, but they have to carry it through the sides then rear. Otherwise it’s a problem.

I hate to say, but the rear of the car somehow reminds me a lot of an upgraded Camry. Before you start showing pictures of the 2 cars again, give it up already. It doesn’t have to be the exact shape and components, but it’s the overall feel. The side of the car does feel better in person, more volume to it but still lacks more lines.

The front of the car is dominated by the grille and bumper. Interesting enough, after seeing both the normal GS350 and the Fsport in person, I actually prefer the normal bumper more. Not because of the foglights but the contour / flow designs. On the normal GS350, the front bumper has softer lines and flow better with the rest of the car. The F-sport bumper is very aggressive, it has that “come right at you” feel, however the lines are very bold and it contrasts too much with rest of the car. And most importantly, the sides of the bumper (where foglights would be) falls back quite a bit compared to the front end, making it look pretty awkward no matter if you look from the front or side.

Interior

This is not even a comparison. Well the 5 series is a very close competitor, but the E class or the A6 don’t even come close. The interior of the new GS is simply fantastic.

The fit and finish is clearly improved from previous generation and extremely well done. Although the dash is not covered with real leather, but the nuluxe feel and texture is very rich, boosting the luxury feel . The seats are very comfortable and of course the adjustments are great (trust me you will spend 10 mins playing with them). I know this is early to say, but the seats do look “thin”, so I wonder in the long term how they would be. Some 3GS and 4LS people do complain about seat discomfort after few years.

The multi-media screen display is plain ridiculous, it’s so big and clear. I really can’t understand why people complain about the remote touch, it’s so intuitive I got used to it in no time. It doesn’t even resemble the slightest bit of BMW iDrive and MB COMMAND systems (I have owned both BMW and MB so I have firsthand experience). Even the small LCD display on the cluster area has much higher resolution, great improvement.

Rear cabin room is vastly improved. They paid attention to the roof lining design, creating extra head room. I have to say, I still feel my GS400 had more head and shoulder room in the back, but this is much better than my previous GS350.

Trunk is finally usable. Not just the size, but the shape. It got wider so you are able to better arrange luggage for best placement. And opening size / angle is also improved, another big complaint I have on the 3GS.

Now the aluminum trim. Sorry but I think it’s a letdown and what makes the Fsport interior lose that luxury feel. It looks great in picture, but so plastic in person. Not good. On the other hand in the luxury model the wood trims are so elegant and rich.

Lexus also got ambient lighting on all the doors now, another great touch. Although I kind of hope the ambient light to be a bit brighter, as of now it’s not as noticeable

Test Drive

First of all the steering wheel feels good, not too thick and the grip is well done imho. It’s tighter than before and I actually like the way it is. I think it’s a good blend between performance driving and luxury cruising.

Now the suspension, wow it’s stiff. In the normal setting it’s pretty reasonable, that’s a good blend. But when you crank it to the S+, it changes quite a bit. Going over a bump on the road and I totally felt that in my backbone. I am not saying it’s bad, but do get yourself prepared for that.

The engine / exhaust sound is very interesting. It sounds better than the previous GS350. It has a deeper rumbling and roar when you step on it, and you can hear it from both the driver and rear passenger position. When you are cruising the car is quiet, but when you step on it you will know. Now the mix feeling I have is while it sounds good, it gives me that artificial feel. It kind of reminds me of the G35 setup, not the tone but the effort. Again, this is more of a personal preference, I can totally see how some people like it, and it’s an improvement over the 3GS, just still not sure if it’s for me.

The handle of the car, simply said, gets a thumb up from me. The steering is tighter and more direct, the cornering ability is greatly improved on the car, it just grabs on the road so well. There are still body rolls, but it’s a lot more predictable and solid, you don’t feel being tossed around like you do in the 3GS. Lane changing and S curves all become a lot more fun to go through, mostly due to the precise steering setup. Also, the car is light so it feels easy to drive, another plus. Of course, the bigger brakes on the F-sport is very powerful and I like that a lot too.

Now the problem – acceleration / power. Or I should say lack of. Sorry but the V6 setup has become the bottleneck for the car now. It’s simply lacking. I feel that the suspension / handling / driving dynamics have fully outgrown the drive train, and that was a big letdown. This car deserves more power to complete the package. The throttle response is better than the 3GS but still has some lag that I am not a fan of. Down shift is very nicely done, however up shift is still too slow for my liking. Throughout the test drive I had the feeling of the car is so capable, but it’s not going fast enough!

Final Thoughts

I think this is a very close race with the BMW 535i. Exterior I think the BMW looks better. Interior I think the Lexus is in front clearly. Driving wise Lexus feels light and easy to handle, the BMW feels more solid but also heavier. Power wise, Lexus feels more linear, but BMW gives you more punching feel. Keep in mind I am talking about the 535i M-sport. The 550i M-sport is a completely different animal and that car drives awesome and is in a different league. But I couldn’t stop thinking, if the 4GS gets a powerful 380-400hp setup, that should be very interesting.

I can’t say too much about the E350 and the A6 because I haven’t driven them. Lexus is going to have a driving event at Fontana which hopefully has all these cars for comparison but too bad I am not invited. It would be great opportunity to compare all of them.

One last note, I actually wonder if the F-sport is really worth it. It seems to be around a 3k option. For the luxury package, which is about 5k, you get the exact same suspension upgrade plus Mark Levinson, which itself is 2k already. And keep in mind F-sport has no Mark Levinson. So if you get F-sport, you basically get bigger brakes and a different front bumper, but you are forced with the aluminum trim which I think is a letdown. So overall, I think the normal GS350 with luxury is a better buy.

In the end, I think the new GS350 is a car I want to be inside than outside. Can’t get over the exterior, but the interior and driving is very nice. In fact, as I mentioned to my friends yesterday, it makes me feel like the 2GS days again with that dynamic and fun factors. The problem is the car needs more power to make it more complete.
Old 02-09-12, 12:31 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 02-09-12, 01:28 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

F-Sport option is $5,600. Total sticker price of mine was $58,997, which also includes Navigation and the Premium setup (rear sunshade, heated/ventilated seats and auto wipers).

I will say I'm sitll a little confused why it's called the F-Sport if it doesn't include half the accessories that we've come to associate with F-Sport. The springs may be better but they're not the lowering springs. There is no intake and the exhaust isn't the "F-Sport" upgrade. Honestly, I think it's the grille, different interior, larger wheels, larger brakes and automatic controlled suspension.

So far, I'm extremely happy with my purchase. I haven't gotten to drive it much yet, but it's been so much fun when I have driven it. I like the F-Sport much more than the other versions....a lot of that is the exterior. I do miss the wood, and the wood in the luxury model is VERY nice, but if the point of the car is to be "sporty", than you have to keep the theme.
Old 02-09-12, 01:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jtrue28
F-Sport option is $5,600. Total sticker price of mine was $58,997, which also includes Navigation and the Premium setup (rear sunshade, heated/ventilated seats and auto wipers).

I will say I'm sitll a little confused why it's called the F-Sport if it doesn't include half the accessories that we've come to associate with F-Sport. The springs may be better but they're not the lowering springs. There is no intake and the exhaust isn't the "F-Sport" upgrade. Honestly, I think it's the grille, different interior, larger wheels, larger brakes and automatic controlled suspension.

So far, I'm extremely happy with my purchase. I haven't gotten to drive it much yet, but it's been so much fun when I have driven it. I like the F-Sport much more than the other versions....a lot of that is the exterior. I do miss the wood, and the wood in the luxury model is VERY nice, but if the point of the car is to be "sporty", than you have to keep the theme.
that's the thing. springs on fsport, dampening shocks, they are exactly the same as that on the normal gs350 with the luxury (upgraded) package. the only difference is the brakes, front end, and the trim.
Old 02-09-12, 01:34 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test drove the Luxury model last weekend and I found your review to be spot on. Great review. I received a brochure after the test drive and the more I look at the exterior the more I am getting comfortable with it. The interior is just wonderful.
Old 02-09-12, 01:38 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Hi rominl, did your test car come with rear steering. What are your thoughts on the rear-steering. And did you compare the non F-sport with the F-sport driving experience?

I was thinking that since only the F-sport has the rear-steering option(RWS) and if the RWS makes a big difference in handling, that would one of the advantages of getting the F-sport over the luxury package.
Old 02-09-12, 01:48 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
that's the thing. springs on fsport, dampening shocks, they are exactly the same as that on the normal gs350 with the luxury (upgraded) package. the only difference is the brakes, front end, and the trim.
and the 19" wheels...which are by FAR the best of the options available right now OEM.
Old 02-09-12, 02:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by natnut
Hi rominl, did your test car come with rear steering. What are your thoughts on the rear-steering. And did you compare the non F-sport with the F-sport driving experience?

I was thinking that since only the F-sport has the rear-steering option(RWS) and if the RWS makes a big difference in handling, that would one of the advantages of getting the F-sport over the luxury package.
unfortunately they didn't have such an optioned model for test drive yesterday. i absolutely want to drive one with that to experience the difference. of all the performance options on the car, this is the single one that i am most interested in
Old 02-09-12, 03:34 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent write-up.

Very similar to my conclusion too - a very good car, a 5 series fighter, but let down by Camry-grade exterior design and a weak power-plant. Also F-Sport package has too much trade-off involved.
Old 02-09-12, 04:24 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

And I was under the the tuning was different from the luxury in S+. So this means if one got the AWD F-sport without the big brakes and performance tires, the f sport package is really just reduced to a different front bumper and a few badges
Old 02-09-12, 05:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Excellent write-up.

Very similar to my conclusion too - a very good car, a 5 series fighter, but let down by Camry-grade exterior design and a weak power-plant. Also F-Sport package has too much trade-off involved.
thanks man. i was pleasantly surprised about the driving, it's quite exciting. but the fsport is definitely still something that got me thinking

Originally Posted by eoph
And I was under the the tuning was different from the luxury in S+. So this means if one got the AWD F-sport without the big brakes and performance tires, the f sport package is really just reduced to a different front bumper and a few badges
same here, i thought fsport has some different suspension (minus brakes). doesn't seem to be the case. but of course, keep in mind, that's comparison to gs350 with luxury package. the very basic gs350 it doesn't have suspension adjustment, etc...
Old 02-09-12, 05:51 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I drove the F-sport today and your review is Exactomondo. What's the old saying? "Theres no replacement for displacement".

Another thing that the sales guy pointed out to me that the Service manager already has concern was the Lid to the cup holder, the opening where the lid retracted into - he was concern with stuff falling into the crevice (Wallet, cellphone, etc) anything that can be rested on the lid. I also notice that the Lid is not Flush to the center console which looks odd to me. (I sat in the car and played with everything for 20 mins before the test-drive..)

Final Conclusion: Car is much improved over the 3GS except for exterior looks. To me the Rear is better than the pics and does exhibit a sense of Audi presence in IMO.. The Performance: I don't understand how everyone is all bent out of shape when someone reviews the car to be a disappointment in performance because the car has the same exact drivetrain as the 3GS's 350 motor, and specs with an increase of 3HP. Really, can 3HP more make that much difference? I know the gearing and transmission can improve the car a little bit but can the F-Sport 350 defy the laws of physics with 306HP and 277 ft/tq??

I'll have to give Lexus Marketing an A+ plus for making us believe this car is faster than it really is.. an IS350 is still quicker than a GS350 F Sport. Why all the Hype? Marketing 101 at its finest...
Old 02-09-12, 06:50 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm not sure how 0-60 in 5.6s,1/4 mile in 14s@105mph is a disappointment. Sure it doesn't have the instant torque of a V8 but that's still no slouch.

For perspective, that makes it faster than the previous generation V8 equipped GS430.
Old 02-09-12, 07:09 PM
LexFather

Great review agree with damn near all of it.

Amazing to think Lexus seems to have the best driving car in class and it is now the car for the driving enthusiasts. I cannot commend Lexus enough for really making it such a fantastic drive.
Old 02-09-12, 07:10 PM
3GS404
Lead Lap

U guyz do alot of reviews & test drive for 4GS but how come there no pix of the car yet??

Quick Reply: GS350 F-sport test drive review