GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Drove the new GS + all the competition

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 12:54 AM
Itsuki_23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove the new GS + all the competition

I had a chance to drive new GS250 and GS450h (both models with and without F-sport packages) + all the competition + 3gen GS.

GS highlights are

* Best in class handling. 5-series (I drove with and with out M-Package) comes close, but GS's suspension feels bit more refined and isnpires more confidence when cornering, 5 series is very good also, but feels slightly harsher and not so predictable, GS's body movements are more linear, driver always feels what the car is doing/going to do during sudden movements. Don't get me wrong 5-series has very good suspension, but GS has slight advantages. All the cars have now electric power-steering, but Lexus has made the biggest step - compared to previous GS the electric steering feel is detailed and with a nice feel - finally at the same level with Germans.

* Best in class seats (those that come with higher spec levels) Not only ultra-supportive, but also very comfortable. German top spec seats are leaning bit too much torward sportiness for my taste (most of the time you are just cruising or sitting in traffic with this kind of car, so even the sport seats need to be relaxing and comfy).

*Interior oozes quality! I think A6, 5-series and new GS have the same level quality interior materials. So it all comes down to taste in design. Automotive journos always rave about the best-in-class and uncomparably high Audi interior quality. That is a myth. Competition has caught on. Although I like the really high quality and modern Audi speedo/tach design and huge LCD screen between them. I think this is the only place where Audi is slightly ahead of the competition.

*New GS has a rock solid body. Previous GS was lot softer, you could feel the chassis bending in corners, interior panels makin little cracking noises because of that and also in potholes and on b-roads. New car is like from another planet, it feels so solid and tightly put together that already only this feeling makes you smile when you drive the car.

About the competition:

*Audi's cornering capabilities (you can also use the word handling for that ) are a joke compared to GS and 5-series. The front is still heavy (although not disaster-level heavy like older Audi's), its a fwd platform and even the quattro cannot hide its faults. During high speed sudden direction changes (something that can happen in real-life traffic - trying to avoid a crash, suddenly hard-braking car in front of you etc) Audi loses traction from the rear end because out-of balance chassis (fwd) weight shifts to left or right front corner which is heavy as it is. When the rear loses weight the chassis becomes unbalanced and unsecure relatively easily. I even felt bit scared how the Audi reacted and how huge the difference was with BMW and Lexus. During the same manuveurs GS and 5 were like on rails, very confident and satisfying to drive. During straight line high speed driving all the cars were basically very good (even the Audi ), no huge differences there.

*MB E class was and is an old man's car. Very good autobahn/highway cruiser, but don't expect any (energetic) character or detailed/percise handling from it. Also its the oldest in the competition and its starting to feel old in interior design and materials if you compare it to GS/A6/5.

*In the US Infiniti M is also the competitor for GS. I drove the M35h - biggest dissapoinment for me. The interior and the way it handles - compared to GS, unfortunately those cars are from different galaxies.

Conclusion is that Lexus has built a top world-class luxury sedan. Whatever the autojournos say, to assess the new GS yourself you have to drive it.

Last edited by Itsuki_23; 02-09-12 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-09-12, 05:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

How were 450h and 250? Compared to the competition, etc... 250 vs GS300.

thanks!
Old 02-09-12, 06:01 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good write-up.

Audi doesn't offer active suspension and active roll stabilization which is why their cars tend to have better worse handling.
Hybrid's generally don't handle as well as conventional cars because of the added weight of the battery, and often higher center of gravity.
Old 02-09-12, 06:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Good write-up.

Audi doesn't offer active suspension and active roll stabilization which is why their cars tend to have better worse handling.
Hybrid's generally don't handle as well as conventional cars because of the added weight of the battery, and often higher center of gravity.
well he is in europe, so he tested GS Hybrid :-)
Old 02-09-12, 07:25 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent write up!!

I agree 100% that the GS handles better and feels more refined than my 2011 BMW 535i xdrive.
Old 02-09-12, 07:47 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Random question but is the GS250 coming to the US?? I went and checked out a Luxury+ and F-sport yesterday and asked about the 250 and they laughed in my face lol. They don't even know it exist...
Old 02-09-12, 07:56 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Admais2,

I know I saw that too but the GS250 only for Asian and Euro markets.
Old 02-09-12, 07:59 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
Random question but is the GS250 coming to the US?? I went and checked out a Luxury+ and F-sport yesterday and asked about the 250 and they laughed in my face lol. They don't even know it exist...
Nope, not the the moments, but it might IF.....
Old 02-09-12, 10:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by adamls2
nope......
Old 02-09-12, 10:34 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice review! Sorry I dont see the Infiniti as a contender. I see it as direct competition against Acura RL...
Old 02-09-12, 10:40 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Excellent write up indeed

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Excellent write up!!

I agree 100% that the GS handles better and feels more refined than my 2011 BMW 535i xdrive.
Soooooo happy to hear lexus is taking the performance and handling to a new level
Old 02-09-12, 02:37 PM
camryphil
Driver School Candidate

drove the E350 w/sport package today. What a letdown car isn't sporty at all, and isn't all that quiet., definitively a complete waste of money. It's becoming obvious the GS 350 is the best car in its class but my dad loves Mercedes so that's what were getting him.
Old 02-09-12, 02:40 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camryphil
drove the E350 w/sport package today. What a letdown car isn't sporty at all, and isn't all that quiet., definitively a complete waste of money. It's becoming obvious the GS 350 is the best car in its class but my dad loves Mercedes so that's what were getting him.
The Merc is behind in almost every way, not just to the GS but pretty much everyone else in the segment.
Old 02-09-12, 03:49 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Itsuki_23
I had a chance to drive new GS250 and GS450h (both models with and without F-sport packages) + all the competition + 3gen GS.

GS highlights are

* Best in class handling.

* Best in class seats (those that come with higher spec levels)

*New GS has a rock solid body. Previous GS was lot softer, you could feel the chassis bending in corners, interior panels makin little cracking noises because of that and also in potholes and on b-roads. New car is like from another planet, it feels so solid and tightly put together that already only this feeling makes you smile when you drive the car.

Conclusion is that Lexus has built a top world-class luxury sedan. Whatever the autojournos say, to assess the new GS yourself you have to drive it.
Great to hear this especially the final conclusion. And I agree completely about test driving the car for yourself before making up your mind.
Old 02-09-12, 11:20 PM
Itsuki_23
Rookie

Originally Posted by spwolf
How were 450h and 250? Compared to the competition, etc... 250 vs GS300.

thanks!
GS450h is fast as previous generation one. That means really fast. In Europe it goes against the 3 liter diesel engines. Hybrid system is ultra smooth and very-very torque rich and it reacts to accelerator without any hesitations. What I like is that Lexus has given even the hybrid a bit of a sporty engine sound - when you go full throttle the V6 makes nice rich rumbling sound.

GS250 has the engine from IS250, because Lexus has managed to keep the new GS's weight down the 2.5 engine is adequate for this class of car and it never felt underpowered to me. The petrol engines makes even better sound, Lexus has really worked with the engine sound, when you go over 3000rpm it becomes really sporty, full and rich V6 rumble. To be honest in higher revs the GS250 sounds quite similar to ISF only 2 cylinders missing Funny thing is that BMW has always been the sportiest of the bunch, but 530i with R6 sounded very tamed, distant and sewing-machine-like - you could say that BMW sounded like Lexus Maybe 535i has more sound, because I know 335i sounds very sporty and exciting. GS250 goes against smaller dispalcement four cylinder competition, it might not be as fuel efficient, but V6 is always far smoother (more of a Luxury car engine) and better sounding than R4.

Quick Reply: Drove the new GS + all the competition