Audi A6 vs. Lexus GS [56k Warning]

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-12, 07:32 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by LIMS407
A5/S5 is one of my favorite out there but no push start,,,
You might want to google "Audi Advanced Key".
Old 02-19-12, 03:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
You might want to google "Audi Advanced Key".
big problem with audi is those 1000 extra options, most of which are standard on Lexus at these prices.

I was looking at used A4 here in Europe, and they are on average equipped less than mid size Toyota. They all have xenons, a lot have s-line exterior and then you will be lucky to find cruise control in it :-). Or they might have Navigation (big one) but not have upgraded speaker system, so you get base 6 speakers that sound really really bad. Everything is a freaking option here in Europe.
Old 02-19-12, 04:28 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by spwolf
big problem with audi is those 1000 extra options, most of which are standard on Lexus at these prices.

I was looking at used A4 here in Europe, and they are on average equipped less than mid size Toyota. They all have xenons, a lot have s-line exterior and then you will be lucky to find cruise control in it :-). Or they might have Navigation (big one) but not have upgraded speaker system, so you get base 6 speakers that sound really really bad. Everything is a freaking option here in Europe.
I'm thinking seriously of a 5 series BMW, and they are the same. It amazes me what is optional on those cars that are standard on most $30 & up cars (like heated seats).
Old 02-19-12, 06:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I'm thinking seriously of a 5 series BMW, and they are the same. It amazes me what is optional on those cars that are standard on most $30 & up cars (like heated seats).
it works well if you want base car that looks good but is cheap (for instance, get xenons, s-line exterior, sport seats, sport steering wheel, and you look good but spend "little")... but then you dont have stuff that Yaris has in Europe :-). For A4, there are heated fronts, heated front and back and ventilated front/heated f/b seats. And it is not standard of course. Steering wheel - all come with plastic one, and then you have 6 options to upgrade. Base seats make me want to vomit (Yaris-look-alike), but sport seats are "only" $2k away, and 6 variations. Want them in leather or half leather? Only $2k-4k extra... electric? $600... memory? $500, etc, etc.

If you want to equip it Lexus-like, then you end up paying double the price of base model (due to taxes here in Europe, prices raise exponentially).

When buying used, it sucks as it makes it really hard to find loaded model... these cars are sold here as volume leaders, like Camry, so when you see "A6 is best selling car in Germany", you got to realize that it is most likely less equiped than Camry XLE :-). And due to low prices and huge discounts in Germany, it is really really stupid to buy new these days, you will lose more likely around 60% of value within 3 years.

I think I will end up buying used IS.I found fully loaded certified one (hard to get here in Eastern Europe), for price of half specced A4. Stepping into IS after 3 months of looking into A4's and A6's was revelation. It is tight, but I dont need bigger (back is fine for kids), and interior is so much nicer than Audi's that all these journalists write poems to.
Old 02-21-12, 07:09 PM
GS3loco
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been wanting to like the looks of the new GS for a long time. But I just don't. The only thing I like about it is the expected Lexus resale and the expected Lexus reliability.

These photos of the Audi and GS side by side again confirm my thoughts that the Audi is just a better looking car. I'll probably end up buying it in Quattro form or a BMW 5 when I need the next car.

Finally, the LEDs at the bottom of the GS' headlights remind me of the rope lights you can buy at Home Depot.
Old 02-21-12, 07:13 PM
js619858
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GS but in a better darker color. I think the new GS looks bland in light colors but the A6 is ugly!

Last edited by js619858; 02-21-12 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-21-12, 07:16 PM
js619858
Pole Position

Also the A6 looks like my uncles Volkswagen. If you get the Audi go with the A5! The GS looks plain in certain colors but give it darker colors and it stands out more!
Old 02-23-12, 10:30 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
I love how the A5 looks... it is really great looking car, no question about it, no matter what version.

But I dont think A6 looks anywhere as good in real life as in pics... nor do Audi interiors in general.
Just to clarify, I hate the A6, but love the A5 sportback.

I also am not the biggest fan of Audis in general. The only ones I really like are the A5 and A7. Of course the R8 is great but its not like I would buy that over a Porsche 911.
Old 02-23-12, 08:40 PM
LexFather

I'm sorry but I'm a car enthusiast and I can confuse Audi sedans all day long. They all look the same and every redesign is the same, longer window, bigger grill, more LEDs in lights. Not rocket science, lazy design. I know they have more talent b/c the R8 looks fabulous.

In comparison looking at the new ES and GS, it is clear Lexus gave them a face that is now recognizable as a Lexus but they are much more different overall compared to Audi sedans. Bangle to his credit figured this out.

The only A6 that ever borderline appealed to me visually was the last gen RS6.
Old 02-24-12, 05:37 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm sorry but I'm a car enthusiast and I can confuse Audi sedans all day long. They all look the same and every redesign is the same, longer window, bigger grill, more LEDs in lights. Not rocket science, lazy design. I know they have more talent b/c the R8 looks fabulous.

In comparison looking at the new ES and GS, it is clear Lexus gave them a face that is now recognizable as a Lexus but they are much more different overall compared to Audi sedans. Bangle to his credit figured this out.

The only A6 that ever borderline appealed to me visually was the last gen RS6.
I agree with you about Audi styling, and BMW is now there. I am very good at spotting different cars, but I have hell telling the difference between a 5 and 7 series, and the new 3 is the same. But Lexus is heading the same direction. Everyone is giving credit for the new GS as having the new face of Lexus. But that is not true, the new face came out on the CT200H a couple of years ago. Look at the two next to each other and you can hardly tell the difference (ditto the IS-F).
Old 02-28-12, 06:24 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Does the GS have stop and go dynamic cruise control? That will bring the car to a stop in stop and go traffic? The audi does (this video says the Q7 has it, but all the new audis have stop and go cruise now): http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/09...nid_technology

Does the GS allow you to plug in a SD card with many GBs of mp3s and album art?

Any other features that the A6 has but GS doesn't or vice versa?
Old 02-28-12, 08:42 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zmisst
Does the GS have stop and go dynamic cruise control? That will bring the car to a stop in stop and go traffic? The audi does (this video says the Q7 has it, but all the new audis have stop and go cruise now): http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/09...nid_technology

Adaptive Cruise:

The SD card slot in the A6 is more of a joke than a feature, considering how rare it is to carry one around.
Old 02-29-12, 02:08 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by zmisst

The GS has Pre Collision/Radar Cruise as an option. The system will not fully bring a car to a stop but it will apply the brakes in a near collision situation. Honestly, these systems are to aid your driving, not substitute good driving judgement.

As s for new GS, you can plug in external audio source like an ipod or usb thumb drive into the usb port located in the center console. It finally has guide lights so you can easily find the port in the dark. Yes you can play MP3 or WMA audio from your usb audio device. It will display cover art if you have that info stored with the audio file. The Lexus Premium Audio and ML systems feature Gracenote.
Old 02-29-12, 02:20 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
Don't tell me this looks worse than the new GS
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

I think they both look good, and I like the A6's style, but like most German cars, it looks great from far away, but bland and sterile close up IMO.
To me it's a tough call between these two... the front is a push but I like the A6's profile and rear a bit better...
Old 02-29-12, 02:37 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful shots even though im one month too late to reply. lol.

DST plate, so you work for Lexus manufacturer?