GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

3M Scotchgard "CHIPPROTECT"

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-12, 09:24 AM
tomoshort
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M Scotchgard "CHIPPROTECT"

I just bought my GS yesterday from Lexus of Tacoma (liquid platinum/black). One aside cost they are really pushing is called Chipprotect and a full treatment costs $1295. Everyone I spoke with at the Dealership (detailers included) told me this is a must have. I'm looking for advice. I pick up the car on 2/8. Thanks.
Old 02-03-12, 09:27 AM
clambros
Driver

I'm not sure about "ChipProtect" .. I'm assuming its like a paint protection film. If yes, price is a little high. I paid (for the Lexus, Port Installed Option (PIO)) $429 on my IS350c.

As for its usefulness .. at $1295, you can have your front end touched up a few times for that kind of money. Yes, it works and it WILL protect your front end and mirrors from "road rash"
Old 02-03-12, 10:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

sounds like just normal clear protective film. i assume it covers the front bumper, front portion of hood, a bit of fenders, and maybe mirrors. if so, 1300 is outrages
Old 02-03-12, 03:32 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tomoshort
I just bought my GS yesterday from Lexus of Tacoma (liquid platinum/black). One aside cost they are really pushing is called Chipprotect and a full treatment costs $1295. Everyone I spoke with at the Dealership (detailers included) told me this is a must have. I'm looking for advice. I pick up the car on 2/8. Thanks.
You should find out what they are covering for $1295.

I paid $500 for Front bumper, headlights, mirrors, rocker panels, and the area behind the rear wheels. For $1295 you should be getting full hood and fenders in addition to what I got.

You may want to look into Xpel Ultimate film. I bought that instead of 3M. I think Xpel Ultimate is the best film right now because it has a proper clear coat, it is stain resistant and it is also self-healing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Se11LSRnKA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzemn...3&feature=plcp
Old 02-03-12, 03:33 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also BTW - It's only a must have if you didn't have it on your old car and you were unhappy about getting chips. If you didn't notice the chips, or don't care about them, then there is no reason to think this car will be any different.
Old 02-06-12, 09:22 PM
JsGX460
Driver

I'm in the Seattle area and are on our 3rd Lexus from lexus of tacoma. Every time they try to talk me into the chiprotect.

There are packages out there that are much more affordable. Or, outside of the dealer, call the guys that do it (iden's detail) and haggle a better deal if you want it.

I've never gotten it on 2 RX's, 1 GX, or an IS we had previously....

Congrats on your car! Who did you work with in Fife? Any contact with the sales manager (Ed) - great guy...
Old 02-07-12, 08:34 AM
tomoshort
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tip. I worked with Todd Kim. I also interacted with Frank, the Manager. I received VIP treatment from the time I put a deposit down last September.

I have to drive mountain passes and my cars get a regular diet of flying rocks. Because I want to keep the car a long time (it's my Bucket List car), I think I'll go ahead and get the film. The warranty seems super and I'll demand good treatment if there are any problems.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 02-07-12, 01:21 PM
mrsardar
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tomoshort
Thanks for the tip. I worked with Todd Kim. I also interacted with Frank, the Manager. I received VIP treatment from the time I put a deposit down last September.

I have to drive mountain passes and my cars get a regular diet of flying rocks. Because I want to keep the car a long time (it's my Bucket List car), I think I'll go ahead and get the film. The warranty seems super and I'll demand good treatment if there are any problems.

Thanks for all the advice.
honestly it is expensive right now but long term it is a worth while investment. I wish i would have listened to my salesman when i bought my IS F and after few months later i noticed a rock chip on hood which could have been prevented if i had the PPF (Paint Protection Film).

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YOUR NEW CAR!!!!.
Old 02-07-12, 01:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

lexus paint is famous for being very soft. it's great for polishing, but it gets chipped very easily

if you are going to keep the car for a while, i always recommend clear bra. but then again there is no way i would pay those prices for dealer installed ones. they aren't any better (in fact might be worse) and more expensive. it's just like tint
Old 02-08-12, 03:57 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a great product... but you will be paying dealer markup which is considerable. I isntall for a lot of dealerships where I am located and the markup at some dealers is over twice what I bill the dealer. It is more than liekly sub contracted out so you would be better off going to them directly. I also would go with a different film. 3M Scotchguard is one I wont install due to durability, too much orange peel, and the warranty is only 5 years. Go with Xpel Ultimate, Ventureshield Ultra, or Avery Nano Fusion and you will be much happier.
Old 02-08-12, 10:39 AM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by PTmobile
Its a great product... but you will be paying dealer markup which is considerable. I isntall for a lot of dealerships where I am located and the markup at some dealers is over twice what I bill the dealer. It is more than liekly sub contracted out so you would be better off going to them directly. I also would go with a different film. 3M Scotchguard is one I wont install due to durability, too much orange peel, and the warranty is only 5 years. Go with Xpel Ultimate, Ventureshield Ultra, or Avery Nano Fusion and you will be much happier.
whats your opinion on llumar?
Old 02-08-12, 04:01 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I always got solid film installation from a guy named Tim at Accutint in Bellevue back when I lived in Seattle. It's been a few years, so I don't know if he still works out of there. It was $400-$500 and included headlights, front third of hood and fenders, rear view mirrors, door edges, door handle cups, and the rear bumper along the trunk opening.
Old 02-08-12, 05:27 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07LXgs350
whats your opinion on llumar?
The last time I got my hands on LLumar it lasted about 5 months and then was very dull. It looked great initially but is not durable at all. Not sure if they have changed their film but I havent heard any other installers say its a good film to go with.
Old 02-09-12, 06:10 AM
JsGX460
Driver

Originally Posted by pbm317
I always got solid film installation from a guy named Tim at Accutint in Bellevue back when I lived in Seattle. It's been a few years, so I don't know if he still works out of there. It was $400-$500 and included headlights, front third of hood and fenders, rear view mirrors, door edges, door handle cups, and the rear bumper along the trunk opening.
I've been told by quite a few people that Acutint has had some not-so-good turnover, their prices have gone up significantly because of their 'deals with barrier', and their quality of work has gone down.

Not saying they aren't worth a call or check out, just saying that I've heard from more than a few folks that they aren't what they used to be.
Old 02-09-12, 06:02 PM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by PTmobile
The last time I got my hands on LLumar it lasted about 5 months and then was very dull. It looked great initially but is not durable at all. Not sure if they have changed their film but I havent heard any other installers say its a good film to go with.
how long ago was the last time? that sucks, I had llumar put on my gs about 6 months ago...so far so good, one thing with llumar is that you can barely see it on the car.

Quick Reply: 3M Scotchgard "CHIPPROTECT"