GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4th Gen GS or New CLS

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 03:00 PM
bimori
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th Gen GS or New CLS

hi guys, I'm currently looking at buying either a cls or the new GS. I love the interior of the GS but not so much the exterior. The F-sport exterior makes up for it, but the fact Lexus doesn't offer wood on the F-sport discourages me. I know CLS has a V8 but i really do not care about that. From a looks perspective, it definitely looks sportier than the new GS. I would be doing a test drive shortly. Thoughts anyone?
Old 02-02-12, 03:35 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bimori
hi guys, I'm currently looking at buying either a cls or the new GS. I love the interior of the GS but not so much the exterior. The F-sport exterior makes up for it, but the fact Lexus doesn't offer wood on the F-sport discourages me. I know CLS has a V8 but i really do not care about that. From a looks perspective, it definitely looks sportier than the new GS. I would be doing a test drive shortly. Thoughts anyone?
I test drove the CLS550 AMG Sport Package, and it was the most enjoyable car in this class that I drove from a performance dynamics perspective (I thought my 550i M-Sport was a close second). I was actually amazed, because every Mercedes I have driven sucks including E-Coupe, E, S and SL.

What I liked about the CLS550:
+ Powertrain is awesome. Plenty of power, but with LSD and 7 speed DCT, it really gets the power to the wheels. 0-60 in 4.2 seconds (compared with 4.8 in 550i stock, 4.2 in my 550i Dinan, and 5.7 in GS F-Sport)
+ Very good steering. Electric steering, but very communicative. Best electric steering, in fact any type of steering I experienced.
+ Handling - Very precise and sharp. Like a BMW, not like a Mercedes.
+ Lateral grip - very fast in corners. Probably better than 0.9G.
+ Leather dash is standard
+ Value - came to 80k MSRP, whereas my BMW came to 85k

What I didn't like:
- Cheap cost cutting on interior (e.g. exposed cup holders, gear shift lever on steering column)
- Interior trims look cheap - no two-tone color interiors like Oyster-Black. Limited choice of colors - gray, beige or black (like on the 3GS), on gray leather, can only get black wood. I couldn't come up with an interior configuration that I liked.
- No HUD
- No surround cameras
- No Apps integration
- Tiny Nav screen
- Generally backward/retro/2000s COMAND system
- Poor iPhone integration
- No Album Art

I am a little surprised you are cross shopping a 60k car with an 80k car.
Old 02-02-12, 03:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am also surprised shopping between the two cars, big price difference. while i definitely like the 4gs interior more, as a car overall, i would choose the cls.
Old 02-02-12, 05:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

2 different types of cars thats for sure. CLS is a looker.
Old 02-02-12, 05:16 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

CLS - if you don't need to carry rear seat passengers and arguably more style
GS - for more practicality
GS has better braking 60-0 105ft vs 107ft for the CLS550
TT 4.7liter V8 will be thirsty too 14/21mpg vs GS350 19/28mpg
GS Figure Eight time: 25.7 seconds @ 0.70 g
CLS550 Figure Eight time : 25.6 seconds @ 0.77 g

Last edited by natnut; 02-02-12 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-02-12, 06:00 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing wrong with this cross shopping at all. They are both the same sized cars with four doors and high end technology. See what you get from either one and if its worth the price difference.

In 2006 i had a case of cross shopping the brand new RX and 2001 NSX. And yet that didnt feel weird either.
Old 02-02-12, 07:55 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Performance and handling makes cls win. So I would certainly take cls and I believe you can get very good discount for 11 cls if you can find. I own both Lexus and Mercedes, so I am confident that Mercedes is better car in any way. I do not have iPhone, but for iPod, Mercedes has also better integration. I didn't see how it made for last GS, but for LS it sucks.

Yes, and voice recognition at Mercedes much better than Lexus had. I have thick accent but can speak address or phone number for Mercedes without a problem. Lexus doesn't understand a word.
Old 02-02-12, 08:06 PM
bmay71
Rookie

Bimori, have you also considered the Audi A7? I have driven it and was really impressed. I have owned the second and third gen. GS's and I enjoyed them both. However, just thought about trying something different. Of course I'm on this site so I still haven't ruled the new GS350 out either.
Old 02-02-12, 08:31 PM
js619858
Pole Position

CLS is different class to me than the GS. If you have more than enough money take the CLS but if you don't and want a more balanced car and daily driver take the GS.

I say check the GS in person, some cars are better looking in person like the ISF. haha

Last edited by js619858; 02-06-12 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-02-12, 09:08 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are prepared to spend CLS money and don't care about V8 you should get the Panamera V6.
Old 02-02-12, 11:21 PM
LexFather

Actually the last GS was compared to the last CLS in EVO/CAR magazine. I agree the GS is clearly more E class fighter but someone might also cross shop the CLS.

I have to say I am now in love with the CLS and would suggest the car in a heartbeat. Then again this is what I'm used to so my opinion is very different than a base CLS

To me I really am going to need to see the new GS modified. Was hoping to do that today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_IQv...layer_embedded
Old 02-03-12, 12:38 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CLS and Lexus GS seem to be in different product categories (one is a premium four door coupe while the other is a premium mid-size sedan/saloon).

Nevertheless, you can't go wrong with either.

BUT

imho if you're getting the CLS, go all out and get the CLS 63 AMG. Go for badass
Old 02-03-12, 03:45 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My boss just got a new cls550 launch edition (he had the older cl550) and I really like the car but it just didn't grow on me like I intended to...the driving dynamics are really nice as mentioned above and definitely a 63 would be the way to go IMO . The things that bugged me is that I couldn't fit in the back (unless the front seats were all the way forward) and I personally found it harder than usual to get in and out of the car. Then again I am spoiled by my cars so keep in mind this is just some of my thoughts. Also, the two cars are in different categories so the best thing to do is to go check out both cars for yourself and make a decision from there.
Old 02-03-12, 04:55 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you got the money no question the BENZ. Unless you have 3 kids. My old CLS was the best car I ever own hands down. The interior wasn't amazing like my CL but the exterior lines were awesome. The GS is definately a looker but the CLS V8 is a monster. No matter where you go someone is going to be staring including me if I see you on the road. Lastly if you get one, one word. White!

Last edited by rogers2; 02-03-12 at 04:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-03-12, 05:52 AM
bimori
Rookie

Thanks guys, I dont mind cross shopping at all, I'm more about getting the best bang for the buck. I thought the cls had HUD, I definitely think the GS has a better interior, but we'll see. Arghhh decisions decisions decisions.! Just looked at the A7. Very interesting car. I like the exterior.

Last edited by bimori; 02-03-12 at 06:27 AM.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen GS or New CLS