GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Test Drives

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-12, 12:49 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
One thing i really hated on the test drive was how loud the turn signal sound was. It was so annoying and sounded like my older American tik-tik-tik signal sounds. What happened to the nice quiet Lexus refined signal sound???? Not even my BMW, Mercedes, or Audi sounds like this loud!
The quiet turn signals are one of my major complaints on my -10 GS. It's the first car I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot) that I find my self driving down a straight road with my turn signal on many times a week. Not only is it quiet, but on many turn it doesn't auto-cancel where most cars do.

I looked at a few of the new ones on a lot this afternoon. The white F-Sport looked better than expected, but it had the "brownish" interior which I also don't like. in fact, the F-Sport interior just doesn't knock me out at all.

What I'm finding is that I like the car, but their are a lot of compromises and quirks. I'm having a hard time lusting for the car even though I like my '10 quite a lot. The competition is better focused on what I want, and the deals won't be as good on the new GS to suck me in I'm afraid.
Old 02-05-12, 02:14 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also do not like quiet turn signals on Lexus, but I am coming from Europeans car. I am glad to see new GS much more European car in any direction, look, especially inside, behavior and even turn signals are now European. I hope they increased also force required to switch turn signal in permanent. It is hardly noticeable for previous Lexus, so instead of 3 flashes, you cam easily give parmanent signal. What about position of turn signal lever? It is too high on old Lexus, so you need to move your hand from normal steering wheel gripping position to reach turn signal. European cars have lower position, o no any move OS required. I believe new GS has same thing now. Reading these test drive feedback make me more thinking to buy GS soon. One thing is to check., it is supporting Unicode in display.
Old 02-06-12, 10:35 AM
patricksr5
Pole Position

I test drove the Luxury model at Stevens Creek in San Jose this past weekend (wanted to drive the F Sport but they had sold it the day before). My overall impression was that the outside styling is muddled and not outstanding...front looks like Darth Vader and back looks like a Kia... but the interior is beautiful and equal if not better than what Audi has. The ride and handling were quite good in Sport and Sport + mode but I do not like the engine sound effects...it sounds bogus to me and artifcial as compared to an Audi or BMW or a GS with a better exhaust system. Overall I like the car but not crazy about it because of the exterior styling. I will have to try a F Sport next to see if I change my mind
Old 02-06-12, 12:51 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by patricksr5
I test drove the Luxury model at Stevens Creek in San Jose this past weekend (wanted to drive the F Sport but they had sold it the day before). My overall impression was that the outside styling is muddled and not outstanding...front looks like Darth Vader and back looks like a Kia... but the interior is beautiful and equal if not better than what Audi has. The ride and handling were quite good in Sport and Sport + mode but I do not like the engine sound effects...it sounds bogus to me and artifcial as compared to an Audi or BMW or a GS with a better exhaust system. Overall I like the car but not crazy about it because of the exterior styling. I will have to try a F Sport next to see if I change my mind
In that case, what do you call the new BMW M5 with its artificial engine note piped in via the car's front speakers? At least the GS engine note is real(piped in directly from the engine compartment.) The M5 is an artificially recorded SOUNDTRACK that is played over the car's speakers. How sad is that?
Old 02-06-12, 01:24 PM
itruns
Driver

I’m sure the engine sounds can be modified, though it seems like Lexus can not win here... many folks including my wife wished Lexus had more "growl" as she put it in her IS350, So I put on the Fsport exhaust and intake... now she likes the sound and most of my buddies agree, but one lady friend coming out of a BMW335 didn't like the "extra noise". At least this is the real sound and should be very easy to tune much cheaper than my F-sport stuff.... As The GS is a sports model... not an ES or LS I guess Lexus thought they would cater to the more sporting crowd. I’m sure the new ES will be as quite as a mouse…